onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

I don’t see why people are so eager to bin off the system that’s seen us do so well so far. I have no issue changing to different formations for games where it’s suited, but after a couple of bad games it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction to say bin it completely.

Advert

Ok having not being today here is a question for Darrell  Clark why did he not change it after 20 mins Swindon had already had 5 on target and one wide why wait till half time change it cause by then they had had 6 on target and 3 off to our 1 on target .

Yes Covalan has cost us but the previous 44 mins had bar 5 mins according to my  lad had cost us .

Mckirdys had a good game will do if the person who's marking him cannot be bothered do is job ain't you supposed man mark him .

Be interesting see there goals they score none if players do there jobs .

31 minutes ago, Doha said:

“Cancel his contract!!!” all over social media.

Yeah. Brilliant idea. Let’s spend an unbudgeted, unexpected many tens of thousands paying off his remaining 18 months to then leave us with one keeper. Carol will Iove that.  

Carol will hate staying in league 2 even more, along with all the other Vale fans who are sick of seeing 4th div football. 

The only people who would stick up for him would be people who didn’t go or see such a deflating incident right before half time. Soon as he was sent off that was the match. Ruined the whole match. 

The only thing that has been unexpected is how crap he has been. 

However I agree that paying him money to leave is silly. However we should entertain the idea of getting a goalkeeper in who possesses some sanity and composure. Must be plenty of big clubs with keepers who could benefit from football league experience and willing to pay wages in a loan deal. 

6 minutes ago, Powerline said:

I don’t see why people are so eager to bin off the system that’s seen us do so well so far. I have no issue changing to different formations for games where it’s suited, but after a couple of bad games it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction to say bin it completely.

The only thing I'll say about the system is DC was quite vocal about Askey and the 4-3-3 . 

We literally play the same way of 5-3-2 every game but have so many options to change it up and indeed confuse the opponents.  

By the way I'm a huge Clarke fan but at times surprised we don't mix it up more .

7 points from the last 7 games is alarming but no need to panic yet. 

25 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Think this could be the turning point system wise. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t go 4-3-3 on Tuesday. From his interview it sounded like that’s what we would have done at HT. 

It’s not the system, as in formation.  We needed to put far more pressure on the ball, just as we did away at their place, just as we did at FGR, to name two.  Today we seemed happy to invite them onto us.  Their wingbacks probably spent 60-70% of the game camped deep in our half.  Possibly the tactic was to keep it tight first half then, as in the Brentford game, really up the intensity second half.  The sending off completely wrecks that.

My perception, and I could be wrong, is that we’re slow starters in too many games, also we don’t play at full tilt for 90 minutes often enough, which, OK, may possibly be a big ask to do week in week out.

47 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I find it odd that Clarke is known as someone who chops and changes players and formation. Yet for the majority of the season we have started with the same 352 formation and it’s failed us countless times at home. I guarantee, I’d we went in 1-1 Clarke changes like against Barrow and many other sides at home. He needs to be more flexible, 433 or 4231 blatantly fit this side. They get our best players onto the pitch. 

I know some and probably Clarke see Politic as a super sub, but we have to give him a run in the side from the start, he has quality and runs at players which defenders at this level hate, shown with mckirdy today. 

Screw needing a new winger / Cm or whoever else Clarke wanted. Go out and get a goalkeeper that isn’t an utter clown. I will say though, I don’t think Clarke’s constant swapping of the keepers is helping. 

What didn’t work for Mckirdy last season? We knew he had quality and at times he did really try but we never saw anything close to today / his recent form. I don’t think it will last and he will probably throw a hissy fit but he looked 100x the player we had. 

Kinda agree with this, as my concern with DC all season has been the need to change because he got it wrong from the start. Yes his changes have been good, but those changes were required because plan A wasn't working. Just wish Plan A was the right one from the kick off a bit more often. 

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s not the system, as in formation.  We needed to put far more pressure on the ball, just as we did away at their place, just as we did at FGR, to name two.  Today we seemed happy to invite them onto us.  Their wingbacks probably spent 60-70% of the game camped deep in our half.  Possibly the tactic was to keep it tight first half then, as in the Brentford game, really up the intensity second half.  The sending off completely wrecks that.

My perception, and I could be wrong, is that we’re slow starters in too many games, also we don’t play at full tilt for 90 minutes often enough, which, OK, may possibly be a big ask to do week in week out.

Happens so often at home, that the opposition manage to push our wing backs back and basically make us play a back 5 it’s happened numerous times this season, agree about us being slow starters, seems to be happening more and more often. 

3 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I don't get why we'd try keep it tight first half against a team who had lost last 3 away games and conceded 3 at Mansfield. 

Mansfield went at them from the off and scored early doors 

16 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Carol will hate staying in league 2 even more, along with all the other Vale fans who are sick of seeing 4th div football. 

The only people who would stick up for him would be people who didn’t go or see such a deflating incident right before half time. Soon as he was sent off that was the match. Ruined the whole match. 

The only thing that has been unexpected is how crap he has been. 

However I agree that paying him money to leave is silly. However we should entertain the idea of getting a goalkeeper in who possesses some sanity and composure. Must be plenty of big clubs with keepers who could benefit from football league experience and willing to pay wages in a loan deal. 

He’s not been crap though has he. He’s been a good keeper bar his few moments of madness that have got him sent off. He’s a decent shot stopper and is good at commanding his area. All he needs to do is cut out the silliness. And I assume he’s on his final chance now anyway. I’d imagine Stone will keep his place so doubt we’ll see Covolan much again before the end of the season. Turning on him will not help the situation.

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

I don't get why we'd try keep it tight first half against a team who had lost last 3 away games and conceded 3 at Mansfield. 

Mansfield went at them from the off and scored early doors 

Not sure if it’s a tactic, although it was v Bees because Clarke said as much.  Forget Swindon’s form, it’s clear they’re a decent side if allowed to play.  Our players looked lethargic, which I put down partly to those weeks without a competitive match, but as I said, my feeling is that we’re generally starting games too slowly.

Archived