onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Swindon Town

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Am I right in thinking Mckirdy set up the first for them, then won a penalty and then to top it off scored?

Great day for him, really rubbed our noses in it.

Pissed me off typing that out tbf :banghead:

He didn’t score. That was a cross which wasn’t going in and was deflected in by Smith. 

Advert

Got to agree with most! Just not at it slow from start to finish we have been taught a real lesson today the stats say it all . At half time we only had 30% possession! I just hope today was a real wake up call , Williams was by far and away better than anything we have, all in all they could pass a ball to there own men. We were far to slow far to lethargic must do much better.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I too have never seen anything like it but unlike you for me it was a clear sending off,I was sat in the Lorne street and as soon as he went for that ball with his stools showing I thought “ he’s off “. I can’t remember the last time Vale had a keeper sent off before this season but we now have a keeper that’s been sent off 3 times. He might be a good shot stopper and his distribution is good but you just don’t know what he’s going to do next, I can only put today down to him having a brain fart.

From behind the Bycars it looked 6’s but I have seen the video and I just think that if you saw that incident another 10 times live in a non-VAR officiated game you wouldn’t get a penalty against you.

But it was a pretty stupid thing to do especially after he’d made a good save off the corner and an absolute worldie off the long ranger (off yet another corner which incidentally was the 2nd time the played that set piece and we weren’t switched on enough to deal with it).

I actually don’t think he was the reason we lost it I’m honest. McKirdy, Williams and the No 9 caused us all sorts of problems and we could not get near them 1st half, it was literally wave after wave, proper rabbits in the headlights job at times. A Walsall type performance and I can’t remember their goalie having another save to make.

But I agree with Adam Yates, we needed make it physical and nastier, but while McKirdy and the rest of their players were berating the ref and liner over and over, the only one of ours getting involved was Hall (my Vale MOTM by the way). 

No skill, passion, aggression, leadership…. poor. Given the form of the other teams the top 7 feels a long way off the number of reds we are getting is starting to get a bit ridiculous.

God the absolute state of of the apocalypse predictors on P&G. Unreal. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing at times. 

Chasing the game from 4 minutes, treating them like they were Brentford. Set up wrong, shape wrong, missing Gibbons’ energy. Wilson not interested, midfield bypassed, worrall so deep that Odimayo had the run of Burslem today, did what he wanted.

Today was crap. It was crap first half. It was crap regardless of Covolon getting sent off on the cusp of injury time. Let’s have it right instead of zeroing in on an individual and missing the big picture. Clarke got it wrong. 

What really annoyed me today was the lack of urgency. Losing and we’re taking >30 seconds to take a goal kick. Hoofing to no one, turning it over and no one seems bothered. <ovf censored> off Vale. 

Shocking performance today, yet another moment of madness from Covolan, I called it straight away that he would be gone, why the need to jump up like that I have no idea.  The first 45 minutes we got battered and other than the goal we offered nothing. I thought other than Hall and Harratt, the rest were woeful.

The worry for me is that this performance has been coming for a while in the league, since Crawley away we have got 7 points from 7 games, in that time we haven't play well in the league at all, Walsall, Newport and Swindon we were a massive second best in all these games.  Something has to change because the midfield 3 have been off their game during this time and getting overrun.

Massive game on Tuesday as we could easily be half way down the league in a few weeks and Carol hasnt spent all this money to be there.  For me changes needed and a change of formation, the beginning of the season we were in people's faces, on the front foot, creating chances and now look a long way from that team.  My team going forward 

Stone

Gibbons  Smith  Hall   Hussey

Walker Conlon Garrity

Worrall Harratt Politic

For me, tepid start - much like Brentford. Gave them too much respect (no idea why). Should have themwho is boss in First minute. We didn't so.....
EVERY.SINGLE.BALL in the middle third was won by them. Midfield totally absent. Conlon looked tired, Pett and Garretty anonymous. Hussey cautious. Sending-off absolute nailed on. Idiotic decision making by the goalkeeper.( will be violent conduct I assume rather than serious foul play?) Name another goalkeeper sent off 3 times in 22 games? I assume there will be a rigorous ascending disciplinary procedure for employees. Players must be included in that. Worral tenacious as ever. Harratt showed great work ethic. Wilson looked still injured. Work needed for Tuesday.

7 minutes ago, Doha said:

It was crap regardless of Covolon getting sent off on the cusp of injury time. Let’s have it right instead of zeroing in on an individual and missing the big picture. Clarke got it wrong. 

One of the things that Clarke has done really well is changing formations or personnel if the opposition have the upper hand. Covolan's sending off meant his hands were tied and he couldn't rectify any initial mistakes in the line-up.

13 minutes ago, Doha said:

God the absolute state of of the apocalypse predictors on P&G. Unreal. Couldn’t believe what I was hearing at times. 

Chasing the game from 4 minutes, treating them like they were Brentford. Set up wrong, shape wrong, missing Gibbons’ energy. Wilson not interested, midfield bypassed, worrall so deep that Odimayo had the run of Burslem today, did what he wanted.

Today was crap. It was crap first half. It was crap regardless of Covolon getting sent off on the cusp of injury time. Let’s have it right instead of zeroing in on an individual and missing the big picture. Clarke got it wrong. 

What really annoyed me today was the lack of urgency. Losing and we’re taking >30 seconds to take a goal kick. Hoofing to no one, turning it over and no one seems bothered. <ovf censored> off Vale. 

Yeah but go in at 1-1 and Clarke can change it. Go in at 1-2 and with the keeper sent off and it’s game over. Clarke got it wrong, although to me it looked like a complete lack of effort from some (Wilson) 

Clarke got it wrong but would have been able to change it if Covalon didn’t do what he did. 

Terrible day all round. Nearly everything that could go wrong did. Feels like it has the potential to be significant in the context of our season, if we let it - hopefully not

However, I listened to some of the calls and text on the radio after the game. Deaty me. Some people need to get a sense of perspective. (Edit: just seen Doha’s post)

There was a phrase that Rob Page used to say after almost every game that I used to take the mick out of him for. It’s true tonight.

11 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Shocking performance today, yet another moment of madness from Covolan, I called it straight away that he would be gone, why the need to jump up like that I have no idea.  The first 45 minutes we got battered and other than the goal we offered nothing. I thought other than Hall and Harratt, the rest were woeful.

The worry for me is that this performance has been coming for a while in the league, since Crawley away we have got 7 points from 7 games, in that time we haven't play well in the league at all, Walsall, Newport and Swindon we were a massive second best in all these games.  Something has to change because the midfield 3 have been off their game during this time and getting overrun.

Massive game on Tuesday as we could easily be half way down the league in a few weeks and Carol hasnt spent all this money to be there.  For me changes needed and a change of formation, the beginning of the season we were in people's faces, on the front foot, creating chances and now look a long way from that team.  My team going forward 

Stone

Gibbons  Smith  Hall   Hussey

Walker Conlon Garrity

Worrall Harratt Politic

I’ll be disappointed if this isn’t the team on Tuesday. Time for a change in formation at home. 

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

McKirdy did more in 90 minutes that he did in an entire season for us. And don’t blame managers for that - it’s down to the player to play to his potential and he clearly couldn’t be bothered last season. 

He did do more in 90 mins than he did for us but I don't agree that he couldn't be bothered for the Vale.

When ever he played/came on for Vale he seemed to be trying too hard and it was obvious he had skill, could create and do the unexpected. However, under JA and DC he didn't get much of a chance, 259 lge mins under DC and I can't find any Lge mins for his time under JA. If my memory serves me right he played well in a JPT game and scored a superb goal.

For me it was a case of both managers being unable to work out the best place to play him or they didn't "trust" him or like his style of play. The Swindon manager seems to have worked him out as did Carlisle the season before.

Archived