onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Turnstile situation at the Railway Stand/Paddock.

fuzzyvalefan

Advert

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Interesting that Claire Halkett, one of the directors, and Steve Turner, the man in charge of the turnstile operators, were both by the Railway Stand turnstiles today checking what was going on. 

I suppose with 2,500 less fans trying to get into the Stand with no paper tickets there was no problem at all for them to see. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to read this yesterday.

Most if not all of the automated ticket readers malfunctioned, which caused increased congestion outside and obvious gaps inside when the game began. It's reported that the situation was belatedly resolved by the opening of a gate, letting in fans without any ticket check. That ties in with our noticing significant numbers of fans reaching their seats at around 3.15pm.

That was at the away end at Elland Road on Saturday!!

29 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Interesting to read this yesterday.

Most if not all of the automated ticket readers malfunctioned, which caused increased congestion outside and obvious gaps inside when the game began. It's reported that the situation was belatedly resolved by the opening of a gate, letting in fans without any ticket check. That ties in with our noticing significant numbers of fans reaching their seats at around 3.15pm.

That was at the away end at Elland Road on Saturday!!

Jean, I’m sure you’ll agree that the opening of gates isn’t the answer. That’s probably why the NUFC fans have made a complaint about over crowding. Then yesterday we get the tragic news that 8 fans attending the AFCON cup game have lost their lives due to crushing. 

Jean, I’m sure you’ll agree that the opening of gates isn’t the answer. That’s probably why the NUFC fans have made a complaint about over crowding. Then yesterday we get the tragic news that 8 fans attending the AFCON cup game have lost their lives due to crushing. 
I think if you are referring to stadiums that experience full crowds then you are correct. However Vale Park rarely experiences such scenarios, although the Railway Stand was quite full on this occasion I fully believe opening the gate alleviated the problem.
People entered calmly and quickly, I know this as I was one of the people to do so.
Entrance via the turnstiles was a complete shambles and the stewards could do little to help.
Opening the gate, although not done to allow so many through, actually was, in my opinion the best way of alleviating the situation.

3 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I absolutely agree, PA.  My post was simply to point out that even rich Premier League clubs have problems with their turnstiles - it's not something specific to Vale.

17 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

I think if you are referring to stadiums that experience full crowds then you are correct. However Vale Park rarely experiences such scenarios, although the Railway Stand was quite full on this occasion I fully believe opening the gate alleviated the problem.
People entered calmly and quickly, I know this as I was one of the people to do so.
Entrance via the turnstiles was a complete shambles and the stewards could do little to help.
Opening the gate, although not done to allow so many through, actually was, in my opinion the best way of alleviating the situation.

The critical factor I believe is if a surge is on the same level, as with the Railway Paddock, or where steps or a slope is involved and people lose their footing. 

The critical factor I believe is if a surge is on the same level, as with the Railway Paddock, or where steps or a slope is involved and people lose their footing. 
That area is on the same level, and thankfully there was plenty of space for people once inside the gate. I'm not one for 'Storming the gate's' but in that particular instance it eased the congestion considerably.
I've been to enough games where the slightest tumble by one person could have been catastrophic to know the difference.
The answer is simple, more turnstiles and scanners that work.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I absolutely agree, PA.  My post was simply to point out that even rich Premier League clubs have problems with their turnstiles - it's not something specific to Vale.

Jean, I understand and agree with the point that you make. I just don’t believe any gates should be opened as it only takes one person to trip and they have no chance. I don’t think Ive ever seen football fans form an orderly queue and enter a ground in a calm manner

Jean, I understand and agree with the point that you make. I just don’t believe any gates should be opened as it only takes one person to trip and they have no chance. I don’t think Ive ever seen football fans form an orderly queue and enter a ground in a calm manner
So where does the blame lie, with the club for not having enough turnstiles open when they clearly new how many tickets had been sold for that part of the ground?
With the club for having a scanner system that seams to fail every other game ?
To the person who opened the gate (and for what reason)?
The fans who so clearly abandoned all decency and safety concerns and stampede like a drunken hoard of buffalo ?......Oh, and exactly where did you say you saw this from ?

1 hour ago, Birches Head Fred said:

So where does the blame lie, with the club for not having enough turnstiles open when they clearly new how many tickets had been sold for that part of the ground?
With the club for having a scanner system that seams to fail every other game ?
To the person who opened the gate (and for what reason)?
The fans who so clearly abandoned all decency and safety concerns and stampede like a drunken hoard of buffalo ?......Oh, and exactly where did you say you saw this from ?

Fred, where did I say I’d seen what.?

Archived