onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Turnstile situation at the Railway Stand/Paddock.

fuzzyvalefan

8 minutes ago, Rudgiesflatcap said:

@Doha it’s always been the case for us long as I’ve been going the vale. It’s a catch 22 situation when we have poor teams and results resulting in low numbers there’s no case to make for improvements.
When we start to invest correctly in the team, resulting in  better performance  and increasing numbers in the ground.  do we then improve the access and maybe not have the resources to buy the players to gain promotion.I personally will put up with the difficulties and hope for success and wait for improvements in the infrastructure to follow from there. 

Admittedly during the periods when we were in higher leagues during JR,s and Micky’s tenures it wasn’t as difficult to get fans through the gates. 
Iv’e no idea why this is, maybe someone at the club needs to find out. 
it surely can’t be quicker to take entrance money and give out change than scan a pre purchased ticket. 

Totally get where you're coming from about the budget.

My frustration is that no one seemed to have gotten a grip since this happened recently against Tranmere.

They knew what chaos the turnstiles would be, and the last minute ticket take up because of the pandemic. They knew the steward numbers required. Why not have staff on two of the exit gates and have them partially open as a relief turnstiles from the get go?

Advert

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Neither of the sets of turnstiles in the photo are in use.

Just 4 turnstiles to get thousands of people into the Railway then.

This is basically it, for an entire stand. Is it any wonder those hundreds of people chose to rush the gate when the steward opened it instead of missing the first 35 minutes?

Port Vale ask for "patience" as they address "technical issues" -  onevalefan.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

Totally get where you're coming from about the budget.

My frustration is that no one seemed to have gotten a grip since this happened recently against Tranmere.

They knew what chaos the turnstiles would be, and the last minute ticket take up because of the pandemic. They knew the steward numbers required. Why not have staff on two of the exit gates and have them partially open as a relief turnstiles from the get go?

Probably would have been deemed a safety issue by the police.
After watching the recent TV Drama Anne about Hillsborough I’d rather a slow controlled trickle coming in than someone get hurt pushing in.
I’m by no means comparing yesterday’s issues  with that awful tragedy but health and safety is a massive undertaking now. 
A temporary barrier across the exit gate and a temporary turnstile or two installed may be the answer.  That’s if they exist and are acceptable to the local police. 
They are hardly very amenable to the Vale normally so I’ve no idea how helpful they would be. 

7 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Or try the Bycars?😀👍

That’s a fair point.  I’ve said for a long time (too long) that the club need to somehow attract more fans into the Bycars.  The Railway was rammed on Saturday, which is great to see, but the Bycars remains very sparsely populated.  A few more fans in there would help massively with the overall atmosphere in the ground as a whole.

51 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

That’s a fair point.  I’ve said for a long time (too long) that the club need to somehow attract more fans into the Bycars.  The Railway was rammed on Saturday, which is great to see, but the Bycars remains very sparsely populated.  A few more fans in there would help massively with the overall atmosphere in the ground as a whole.

I noticed there were a lot more in the Bycars yesterday,don’t know how full it looked from other parts of the ground.

2 hours ago, Rudgiesflatcap said:

Probably would have been deemed a safety issue by the police.
After watching the recent TV Drama Anne about Hillsborough I’d rather a slow controlled trickle coming in than someone get hurt pushing in.
I’m by no means comparing yesterday’s issues  with that awful tragedy but health and safety is a massive undertaking now. 
A temporary barrier across the exit gate and a temporary turnstile or two installed may be the answer.  That’s if they exist and are acceptable to the local police. 
They are hardly very amenable to the Vale normally so I’ve no idea how helpful they would be. 

Not sure it’s anything to do with the police anymore. We have non police games. I could be wrong, that’s why I say I’m not sure.

This was all highlighted after Tranmere game opening gates for whatever reason will invite ppl to storm the gates. A person goes down they’ll get trampled on. I don’t want this to happen at all not just at my club.

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Best solution.  Knock down the Railway, build a new stand with electronic turnstiles and large undercover concourse.  Anyone got a spare £10 million??!

Assuming we haven't got 10m knocking about scanners that scan first time rather than 10th time would not half help at a fraction at the cost.  Wouldn't surprise me if the distance from the admin side of the ground impacts on speed etc of transmission meaning the further away you are the slower and less reliable it gets.  Previous problems were laid at wifi's door by the club and the scanners in use are simply attached to mobile phones in use by the turnstile operator. 

Problems always seem to be on that corner far away from Lorne Street and not elsewhere which is closer to Lorne Street where I assume is where the 'brains' of the system are that each scanner is no doubt 'talking' to.  I'm convinced it's the hardware (mobile hones attached to scanners for crying out loud) and signal issue.  My purchased at the ticket office took 7 or 8 scans to get in.....darn sight easier to solve this than build a new stand I reckon!

8 hours ago, mattyboy said:

Assuming we haven't got 10m knocking about scanners that scan first time rather than 10th time would not half help at a fraction at the cost.  Wouldn't surprise me if the distance from the admin side of the ground impacts on speed etc of transmission meaning the further away you are the slower and less reliable it gets.  Previous problems were laid at wifi's door by the club and the scanners in use are simply attached to mobile phones in use by the turnstile operator. 

Problems always seem to be on that corner far away from Lorne Street and not elsewhere which is closer to Lorne Street where I assume is where the 'brains' of the system are that each scanner is no doubt 'talking' to.  I'm convinced it's the hardware (mobile hones attached to scanners for crying out loud) and signal issue.  My purchased at the ticket office took 7 or 8 scans to get in.....darn sight easier to solve this than build a new stand I reckon!

Maybe it’s not the scanners but the printers that are the issue??

Seems to me that its a mix of several things. As supporters, we know that its an issue, so need to be sensible and get there a little earlier- especially for bigger games, become a little more tech savy and buy tickets on line and learn from the "your qr code is to big/too small" turnstile issues and get it right next time . However, I agree that this isn't sustainable long term and the club need to get much much better. The problem would be I guess that bug changes to the concourse (desperately needed) and the old and knackered turnstile blocks can't be done in season.

What could be done is to open up the big gates in the paddock, use some barriers there to create 3-4 additional manned turnstiles and introduce some proper queue system what can be used as an overflow if/when needed in bigger gates. The turnstiles aren't really needed as we don't collect money now, so its rally about getting people scanned to show that we have a ticket and in the ground asap. 

I'd expect some major changes over the close season and have every faith that Kev and Carol are all over this today.

Why do the turnstile operators need to scan a ticket? Whatever happened to ripping off the stub ?
I'm not tech savvy, being of an age where pounds shillings and pence were the currency of the Realm, as I'm sure are many of the folk who use the Railway Stand/paddock.
The problem has persisted for quite some time now, and with regards the scanners being persistently troublesome what worries me is the thought that i believe Synectics are contracted to protect sensetive Government data.
They can't even scan my ticket !.

I suspect a lot of the scanning issues are down to the Wi-Fi signal or the phone signal available at the turnstiles. 
The available bandwidth at half time in the railway paddock is almost none existent. 
Of course this is not down to PVFC, it’s the phone masts that are in the area. 
It becomes a problem for the club when they adopt new ticket scanners, that are attached to the local mobile phone network. 
More fans means more phones in pockets each logged onto the available network, means less available connectivity. 
Maybe the club needs to invest in its own private Wi-Fi hub with repeaters in each kiosk. I’m by no means expert in these matters but it must be worth investigating. 

Archived