onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Turnstile situation at the Railway Stand/Paddock.

fuzzyvalefan

Advert

19 minutes ago, melv said:

The main point that matters from yesterdays game.Is that lessons are learned and positive action taken so that the ticket scanning works better and Stewards do their job better and control / organise the queues.

Took us about 15minutes to get in. Of the 2 stewards standing by the gate,one of them was totally motionless and just staring into space,statue like. Finally the taller one asked us to queue at the season ticket door where a guy in front of us couldn't get his phone ticket to scan. No fault of the lady on the turnstile,just poor technology. 

6 minutes ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

No trouble at stoke today regarding getting in the ground.
I know it’s a one off but when was the last time vale had a higher attendance than stoke in the same round of the cup.

Difficult to tell, according to Belly’s Biscuit Tin we only got 12k in the replay v Southampton when Stoke got 14k at home to Bath City in the same round. 

8 minutes ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

No trouble at stoke today regarding getting in the ground.
I know it’s a one off but when was the last time vale had a higher attendance than stoke in the same round of the cup.

They had trouble getting people to the ground

Do people grasp that if everyone turns up '20 minutes early', you get exactly the same issues, as everyone arrives at the same time?

All well and good proudly claiming you waltzed in at 2:30, but that was because hundreds weren't there yet! If they got there at the same time as you, you'd be queuing for 20 minutes too.

Whether people want to compete on how early they can get to the ground or not, we're going to have issues when there are only 4 operational (ancient) turnstiles for the Railway Stand. Fans have been going to the pub for a pre-game drink since the sport was invented; they shouldn't be downing pints at 2:15 to get to the ground for 2:20 in case there's a daft queue because we're no longer battling non-league. We want to be attracting new fans and making it as easy as possible, not making it as inconvenient as we can.

Honestly you knock a fence down and put some cheap, temporary structure up and double the potential turnstile capacity for big games. I'm not calling for a new stadium, just some very cheap, temporary stuff like you'd get at any music festival which is deployed for bigger games. Not everything that has been done on the ground has been purely 'safety' stuff, with a lot of good aesthetic stuff being done, but surely turnstiles are high on the list?

Bigger gates need better infrastructure. I don’t see the argument in “turnstiles or good team” at all. The ticketing system has had multiple issues since it went live and yesterday was a massive example of that. Half an hour to get into a half empty stadium when turning up 20 minutes before kick off is an absolute joke.

To be clear, the owners have done a fabulous job since being in charge, however the issues of ticketing, stewarding and match day infrastructure are both long standing and infuriating. There have to be better solutions out there, and clearly must be as other clubs don’t seem to have the trouble that we do. I’m not talking about the Manchester United’s of this world, that would be an unfair comparison, however Bradford City, Rotherham United, Peterborough United et al, I think we can compare too and indeed learn from.

Would love for this issue to be raised at the next supporters club meeting, and constructive dialogue started between the supporters club and the football club to find a solution.

Other than avoiding the shambles of the queues, there isn’t any carrot for fans on the Railway side to get in the ground early.

Concourse facilities and catering are non existent. For years and years fans have been conditioned to stay in the pub right up until the last minute and who can blame them?

3 hours ago, geoff1 said:

you could always volunteer to man a turnstile!🤨

I scan my own food in Tesco. I'd be happy to scan my own ticket at the Vale and I'd be a lot faster than the turnstile bloke yesterday! 

I'm not volunteering to scan yours for you geoff1! 😄

Two years ago, I scanned my own ticket at Man City. 10,000 other Vale fans did the same. 

I scan my own card on the underground in London. 

Our turnstile system is not fit for purpose. Each turnstile should be letting in 10 people per minute minimum, not 2 or 3 people per minute. 

I was in my seat yesterday before 2:40pm as I'm a season ticket holder who rarely misses a home match so I anticipated the problems that would arise with a crowd of 8000. Why didn't whoever is in charge of match day operations anticipate the issues in that corner of the Railway and put something in place before hand so the issues that many hundreds of fans experienced?

Many hundreds of those extra fans probably won't bother again for a good while, which is a shame when the issues could, and should, have been avoided. 

1 hour ago, Rudgiesflatcap said:

Do we spend a fortune on better turnstiles, that allow spectators to turn up 5 minutes before the game starts. 
Or do we spend the money on better players? 
that’s a difficult choice in my opinion! Oh no changed my mind I’ll just leave the pub 15 minutes earlier. 

or later!

I got to the ground at 2.45 thinking it will take about 15 minutes get in. When I got there and saw the queues there was queues everywhere I joined a queue with about 50 people ahead of me and I thought I should still get in by kick off. It got to 3 o clock and the queue had barely moved and there were more people behind us. A steward then had to open the gate up for something which resulted in a few vale fans forcing it open fully and ended up with what must have been 500 people including myself getting in the ground around 3.05 without being scanned in. If the gate hadn't been opened we wouldn't have got in till 3.30 maybe later. I don't know why they didn't delay kick off by 15 minutes or so to give people the chance to get in and take there seats on time. We have played Macclesfield a few times away and they delay kick offs if there's still big queues outside but vale never do it.

Archived