onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Turnstile situation at the Railway Stand/Paddock.

fuzzyvalefan

So many positives at the club these days but this needs addressing and sorting. It should not take me 40 minutes to get into the ground when the attendance is 8000.

The situation at the stand and paddock turnstiles today was farcical eventually ending in fans forcing open the exit gates to get in. Long term I think we need a modern automated system and more than 3 turnstiles for each stand.

This isn't the first time this season we have seen such scenes. Ever since the scanners were introduced, everytime we get an attendance over 6000 or so its an absolute nightmare getting in. Should not be the case. I've been to matches with 40,000 people and walked straight in because they have turnstiles that are fit for purpose.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this?

Advert

10 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

So many positives at the club these days but this needs addressing and sorting. It should not take me 40 minutes to get into the ground when the attendance is 8000.

The situation at the stand and paddock turnstiles today was farcical eventually ending in fans forcing open the exit gates to get in. Long term I think we need a modern automated system and more than 3 turnstiles for each stand.

This isn't the first time this season we have seen such scenes. Ever since the scanners were introduced, everytime we get an attendance over 6000 or so its an absolute nightmare getting in. Should not be the case. I've been to matches with 40,000 people and walked straight in because they have turnstiles that are fit for purpose.

It’s a problem and today was poor but we simply don’t have enough scanners. I was in the Bycars and given it was much emptier saw no problem getting in! The railway is a problem because it is a big, long stand with only one entrance at the side really. 

A modern stand that big would have 5 or 6 along the stand, spreading things out a bit.

28 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Mine was totally different.  Queue for Bycars, a lad had his ticket on his phone which is all well and good and the club need applauding for that.

However he seemingly had no idea how to get the ticket up and was clearly embarrassed as the queue got bigger . 

Probably only 3 or 4 minutes but a queue of 3 was then about 15 whilst he was coming to terms with technology.  

Surely the old turnstiles could be knocked down and the bit of land where the toilets used to be (now unused) could see 6-8 fairly cheap turnstiles constructed which could be opened with demand?

Got there early so wasn't an issue but was weird to see a large crowd arrive late, claiming to have forced entry.

4 turnstiles (3 open today) aren't going to be enough if we have ambitions of topping 6,000 regularly. 

Surely the old turnstiles could be knocked down and the bit of land where the toilets used to be (now unused) could see 6-8 fairly cheap turnstiles constructed which could be opened with demand?
Got there early so wasn't an issue but was weird to see a large crowd arrive late, claiming to have forced entry.
4 turnstiles (3 open today) aren't going to be enough if we have ambitions of topping 6,000 regularly. 
Didn't somebody say that there was an issue getting Coal Board permission to do that?

We have, what, 17 thousand seats (?) but nowhere near the infrastructure to put 17 thousand bums on them. Or even half that many.

10-15 minutes into the game and loads of people come into the top of the stand, saying they’d been queuing for ages, the safety officer was having a stand up argument with somebody and someone eventually decided to just throw the gates open.

God alone knows how many people got in the ground if only 8,000 tickets were scanned. 

Like I said, I arrived at the ground 25 minutes before kick off but didn't get in until about 3:15. 25 mins should be ample time to get in, buy a coffee, have a piss and leisurely take my seat.

40 mins to get in for a gate of 8000 is farcical. And as for organisation, well there was simply none.

I usually arrive at 2.40 but for unseen circumstances I arrived at 2.50 I can honestly say the Q for the ticket office was the biggest I have seen ,well off the car park and onto the pavement at 2.50, I wonder how many thought it wasn’t worth it and went home. Next I go to the railway stand/paddock turnstiles , didn’t know which was for paddock or stand. It was 3.12 ish and loads waiting outside still but I would after say well behaved where I was and even a good chorus of Stenio is a .... I then saw a steward slightly open the exit gate for whatever reason and then try to close it again, massive rush and loads ( perhaps a few hundred just rushed in ) .I didn’t take the chance of rushing in as I had 2 youngsters with me but waited few more minutes to get our tickets scanned. So I get in my seat at around 3.15. 

22 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Like I said, I arrived at the ground 25 minutes before kick off but didn't get in until about 3:15. 25 mins should be ample time to get in, buy a coffee, have a piss and leisurely take my seat.

40 mins to get in for a gate of 8000 is farcical. And as for organisation, well there was simply none.

I agree 25 minutes should be enough to get in however, as usual, a large number of fans stay in the pub and expect to get in at 1455 and then moan if they miss any of the game. There’s about six people who sit behind me that fall into this category.

I arrived at the turnstiles for the Paddock at 1425 today and was in the ground within 3 minutes. I do however think more turnstiles are required.

Someone quite senior needs to come down to that turnstile block near the Synectics car park next Saturday and observe what is going on. This is far from the first time this has happened.

That new bollard to stop cars driving down the side of the stand is a big contributory factor. 

A distinct lack of leadership was pretty obvious outside the railway in terms of how the club elected to manage ticket entry. Really poor, really bad customer experience, potential for disorder as people get aggrieved and a nightmare for the fans with medical issues who may be concerned about social distancing. 

Santa is spot on, someone with a remit to get stuff done actually needs to come out and check the reality on the coalface now and then. 

Similar experience for me today. As well as we are run on and off the pitch, resourcing and infrastructure seem to be two areas we are sadly lacking. I’d love to have a constructive discussion about these issues with the club but every time I’ve seen someone attempt to raise it, it gets played with a straight bat, excuse littered to downplay the issue. So so frustrating

27 minutes ago, Bradwell Exile said:

Similar experience for me today. As well as we are run on and off the pitch, resourcing and infrastructure seem to be two areas we are sadly lacking. I’d love to have a constructive discussion about these issues with the club but every time I’ve seen someone attempt to raise it, it gets played with a straight bat, excuse littered to downplay the issue. So so frustrating

Another issue , I went to get my ticket on Friday morning for my season ticket seat in the railway stand only to be told sorry we have already sold that seat ticket to someone else online , and I know I’m not the only one this happened to Wouldn’t it be great if we could send these issues to someone at the club and they could be followed up 

Archived