My first trip to Vale Park

Phil1965

Guest Vale at home
1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

A very sad day for my better half.  He was at the game with his father and they left about 10 minutes early because his Dad didn't feel well.  About an hour after they got home his Dad died of a heart attack. 

I am so sorry . It’s a Day you will never forget. . 

My first trip to Vale Park was a night match against Mansfield Town. We won 1-0 courtesy of John Richards.

I was still at primary school, taken by my dad, who used to say "if you want a rest, sit on my shoes". 

Looking through the records it must have been Mon 26 August 1963, the second match and first at home in Div 3. Crowd 14,451 - will we ever see the like again?

17 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

1995 in a 1-0 win against Portsmouth. 

We were in the family stand.  I was only 8 and was told off by a steward for climbing up the gate at the front.  I sulked for the rest of the game and said i was never coming back.  There have been many times in the last 27 years where i wish I had followed through on that promise but alas i'm still here.

I have a diary from 1995, I was at that game, Tuesday night match in March, I had a look at the dairy entry, Stoke lost 4-2 that night. I don't remember the game though.

No idea when my first trip all i remember was Russell Bromage playing Sproson and I think Neville Chamberlain I couldn't even tell you the score just that we were on the right side of bycars it was all terracing and there wasn't many there .

UTV 

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

A very sad day for my better half.  He was at the game with his father and they left about 10 minutes early because his Dad didn't feel well.  About an hour after they got home his Dad died of a heart attack. 

Gosh, Jean -sad indeed although if I could script my own death it might look something like that.

My first game would have been in 1962. I don't remember the game, nor the others I went to see that season. The first goal I can recall was Roy Chapman running from his own half to score one of his hat-trick goals. We scored 4...which was unusual for us, but we did it, again, a couple of times that season. First game must have been a night match, because my mum took me on the bus, so dad would have been playing darts, which would have been Monday or Tuesday evening? First away game - I think - was the one at Wrexham where Jesse James got sent off for punching one of their players! He was my hero after that!! 

• 2 weeks later...