Best Signings

LoveRapt

15 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Wasn’t location a big reason Wozz moved back north?  I think there was a rumour he had had an oatcake cheese n bacon habit but this was partially shot down when I spotted him in the Vale Caf eating one filled with sausage, cheese and brown sauce.

vale cafe-happy memories-roman.😊

• Haha 1

Advert:

Advert:

a

Agree with Ray Walker if we are looking  at the wider aspect longer term

Originally i was meaning more recent signings ,but quite happy how this thread has turned out

What about Tony Richards: 

Hardly gets a menition  but I remember him and John Rowlands as my early heroes

Along with

John Jessie James

I really like this question as it has had me thinking. Good signings are subjective, like most footballing matters. Is a signing good if they are sold for a lot of money? or is a signing good if the player stays for a lengthy period and performs consistently? 

The only player that fits both categories for me has to be Robbie Earle, he played for us for ages and we got nearly a million for him when we sold him.

In terms of players who served us well and weren't sold for loads of money I would pick Foyle, I haven't checked his precise record but he seemed to score high teens of goals in a number of seasons, two or three more goals a season would have seen him leave Vale Park, I'm sure there were rumours of a move to Blackburn at some point in his Vale tenure.

In terms of shortish stays I'm struggling to pick between Futcher and Slaven.

My favourite loan player has to be Tony Sealy (perhaps only a few will remember him) 

18 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

My favourite loan player has to be Tony Sealy

Yeah he came in and did a job, very good player.  Gave me a lift down Vale as he lived in Biddulph just round the corner.  Sound bloke, good player.

1 hour ago, LoveRapt said:

a

Agree with Ray Walker if we are looking  at the wider aspect longer term

Originally i was meaning more recent signings ,but quite happy how this thread has turned out

What about Tony Richards: 

Hardly gets a menition  but I remember him and John Rowlands as my early heroes

Along with

John Jessie James

LR, I'm sure you remember the other prolific goal scorers from that era who did really well for Vale, Roy Chapman, Bert Llewelyn as well as Tony Richards and John james.....then came Beamo and then Ernie Moss.

John Rowland was one of my favorite players as a kid also and a super player for Vale, he had a phenomenal shot on him. I was standing on the Bycars one home game and he hit the ball so hard and it appeared to go in the goal but hit the stantion at the back of the net and it flew out, the goal was left shaking.  The ref waved play on and no goal, every one around us said it was a goal, but we would do wouldn't we.

He was the only Vale player who had a picture in  Charles Buchan's Football Annual I got for Xmas as a kid but it was in a Forest shirt. I've got his autograph in the house somewhere along with all the players from the 1964-65 season.

Advert:

Oh the memories.  

I use to sell programmes outside the ground back then

We would wait and see which end Vale were attacking before coming in, then paying something like 3p to swap ends at HT

Worth it just to get a closer look at the Vale goals 

One player who for some reason who has always stayed in my memories is the much maligned Ex teacher Selwyn Whalley.....though he was {meant to be) a defender 

Back ON topic Tin Man is also a very good shout all things taken into account

23 minutes ago, LoveRapt said:

Oh the memories.  

I use to sell programmes outside the ground back then

We would wait and see which end Vale were attacking before coming in, then paying something like 3p to swap ends at HT

Worth it just to get a closer look at the Vale goals 

One player who for some reason who has always stayed in my memories is the much maligned Ex teacher Selwyn Whalley.....though he was {meant to be) a defender 

Back ON topic Tin Man is also a very good shout all things taken into account

My arse is still marked from a meeting with Fizzer’s cricket bat(Sandy)😂😂

Best signing for me has to be Ray Walker.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I literally wasn't alive when he was about but having read a bit and spoken to a few, I can't see how Robbie Earle isn't number 1.

A combination of: difference in club between his arrival and departure + iconic, big-game moments + consistency + talent + local + sold on for big money. He arrived when we were knocking about the 4th tier and left us when we were a good 2nd tier club.

I think everyone will have their subjective favourites based on play-style, memories and suchlike, but once Rudge is commemorated surely Earle is next in line?

In my lifetime (2001 onwards, tragically), it's undoubtedly Pope, though I happily throw John McCombe and Chris Neal into the mix.

None of the current players can be considered (imo) till they get promoted, but Conlon and Worrall have the potential.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Advert: