• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Best Signings

LoveRapt

With football at a minimal lately.

Thought  I would look at other things  Port Vale.

Just wondered where people would  compare Tom Conlon against past Vale signings as one of the best  signings?

Has to be one of the best we have recruited for many a year

Advert:

TC is a credit to himself as well as the club. When he joined he lacked physicality, dynamism and self belief . He is no where near one of the best signings we have made over the period I have watched them but put into perspective for the last 10 years then yes he is! 

Fast forward to now he is now a proper leader and a very very good L1/L2 footballer. 

Trust me, there is a reason Darrell Clarke spoke so highly of him and why he wanted him to be club captain - its not just his footballing abilities but its because of his character. If you get chance to have a talk with him then do so and you will understand.

I think at the moment his monetary/transfer value is worthless compared to him being at the club. He is part of the ethos of what we are trying to achieve and hopefully he will be captain of a PVFC promotion side. When other players talk about the good dressing room then he is a massive part of that.

On the playing side I really think he has 'manned up'. He doesn't get bullied anymore and he is nobody's fool. He has added a lot more aspects to his game.

TC is not as good as some people rave about and if I were in a championship club recruitment team I would probably give him a miss for now. He would d be on the radar though and I think that is the situation as it stands now....good but maybe not good enough for a big step up.

In my opinion he is at the right club at the right time and it beneficial to all parties.

Overall 8/10

UTV

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ValiantEffort said:

TC is a credit to himself as well as the club. When he joined he lacked physicality, dynamism and self belief . He is no where near one of the best signings we have made over the period I have watched them but put into perspective for the last 10 years then yes he is! 

Fast forward to now he is now a proper leader and a very very good L1/L2 footballer. 

Trust me, there is a reason Darrell Clarke spoke so highly of him and why he wanted him to be club captain - its not just his footballing abilities but its because of his character. If you get chance to have a talk with him then do so and you will understand.

I think at the moment his monetary/transfer value is worthless compared to him being at the club. He is part of the ethos of what we are trying to achieve and hopefully he will be captain of a PVFC promotion side. When other players talk about the good dressing room then he is a massive part of that.

On the playing side I really think he has 'manned up'. He doesn't get bullied anymore and he is nobody's fool. He has added a lot more aspects to his game.

TC is not as good as some people rave about and if I were in a championship club recruitment team I would probably give him a miss for now. He would d be on the radar though and I think that is the situation as it stands now....good but maybe not good enough for a big step up.

In my opinion he is at the right club at the right time and it beneficial to all parties.

Overall 8/10

UTV

Totally agree 👍 spot on imo 

Advert:

Going back to the original question I'd throw in Scott Brown at the time. After the goal keeping shed show we'd had I swear only he kept us up.  Time for him to move on no argument about that.  But at the time a life saver.

Woz, not too shabby a signing.  Legge has done a job.  Amoo. Just talking about recent past signings, not recent signings.

Advert:

15 hours ago, LoveRapt said:

With football at a minimal lately.

Thought  I would look at other things  Port Vale.

Just wondered where people would  compare Tom Conlon against past Vale signings as one of the best  signings?

Has to be one of the best we have recruited for many a year

Considering we got him on a free when he was cast aside then yes he has been a very good signing and as someone else said so was Hugill for the money we got for him but over the years,well the years i remember late 70's/early 80's to now then there have been many and also some real dross(but thats for another thread 🙂 )

• Like 2

Considering we got him on a free when he was cast aside then yes he has been a very good signing and as someone else said so was Hugill for the money we got for him but over the years,well the years i remember late 70's/early 80's to now then there have been many and also some real dross(but thats for another thread  )
Just a pity the money from the hugill sale was trousered by that barsteward smurthwaite.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worrall was a great signing. I thought it was incredible Brown managed to get a guy who had at the time been a part of a Millwall promotion to Championship side step right down to league 2. 

Given his service, a better signing than Conlon so far. 

Brown despite being an awful manager was actually great at spinning a yarn. Listen to him on the TV or radio, comes out with some right tales. Probably told Worrall the club was gunning for the Championship and that Smurfwaite was an Arab Sheik. 

Advert:

Recent signings I would go with Worrall. Still not sure why he came the Vale, over 40 games for Millwall when they get promoted to the Championship and then steps down a division. Very consistent player who has created more goals than any one else in his time at the Vale,