Match Thread: Port Vale v Salford City

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Genuinely feel these games getting called off is absolutely massive for our season. Getting players back is vital and having the opportunity to do this without dropping points in the meantime could be pivotal come end of the season. Yes disappointing not getting to watch us for a few weeks but this could be a real game changer come end of the season 

Exactly.

6 points (Exeter and Salford) is quite a lot all things considered. It was 10% of our total points tally last season! I'd much rather contest them when we actually have a single fit forward in the squad rather than put the rest of the tired squad through another Newport/Bristol Rovers gauntlet run. Maybe even 9 points if Rochdale gets postponed too which is not an impossibility.

47 minutes ago, points-with-bone said:

Didn't the Vale [back in the '50's?] once have to play a ridiculous amount of games in one week to complete the season?

For some reason I've got 6 matches in my head and that 2 of them got played in one day

Then again I may have just imagined it.............

Points-with-Bone

Didn't it happen under Nobby? I seem to remember him complaining about having to play so many games in a matter of days.

Postpone until February for all I care. Fully fit squad and galvanised with January signings, ready to <ovf censored> up the likes of Rochdale and right wrongs that should never have happened.

2 hours ago, jimbo57 said:

Didn't it happen under Nobby? I seem to remember him complaining about having to play so many games in a matter of days.

Some Aprils have been very busy in the past, 1951 due to new pitch drainage problems, 1954 due to the long cup run, 1963 due to the snowy winter with no league games in January and February. Easter was always busy with games on Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday. Games on Xmas Day and Boxing Day the norm. Some games in 1951 will not show up in the records like the Crystal Palace game abandoned with Vale leading 5-1 at HT

1 hour ago, jimbo57 said:

I do remember something like that under Horton.

I think we may have even played on consecutive nights, maybe oxford and/or colchester?

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Ah well. A very merry Christmas then to all Valiants worldwide, the players, management, staff and all involved with our great Club.  Keep safe and well. See you all next year.👍

Yes I agree . Well said. Up the Vale . Happy Christmas to everyone. 

14 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

I do remember something like that under Horton.

I think we may have even played on consecutive nights, maybe oxford and/or colchester?

Bah humbug and all that but will the finance around bringing in players be affected with games being postponed ? hate being a voice of doom just something that occured to me
Why would it? It's not like they're not going to be played? Budget is set at the start of the season based on 23 home games. Any cup run is a bonus. Can't see it affecting our January business at all

10 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Nice to see the Sentinel are as up to date with their Vale coverage as ever. No news since Saturday apparently. The Salford game being postponed has not been mentioned on the website

Scandalous coverage.  I clicked on the sports page after trying the Vale page and it was news about the Hartlepool game 

• Like 1