onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Own Goals

osprey

Advert

On 15/12/2021 at 15:53, Lornelounger said:

I seem to remember Bobby Thomson, the former Wolves and England player who played for us in the mid seventies scoring an absolutely bizarre own goal (against Rotherham I think? - not sure) when he was defending a cross whilst running back to the goal, and went to clear the ball in to row Z with a well placed hoof. Instead, he absolutely smashed it in to the top corner of our net - brilliant finish. No TV cameras to record it, but it stuck in my mind, because of the shock on everyone's face after he'd done it - he really hammered it, and it was unstoppable.

Memeries faded somewhat but i recall - i think it was Ernie Moss, scoring a similar o.g. at Chester.

I also have a vague recollection of an away team, i think it was Swindon, making a substitution once when we were attacking the Hamill Road End. The substitution was made whilst Vale were waiting to take a corner. The sub ran onto the pitch and on reaching the penalty box the ref blew to take the corner, as the ball came in he ran onto it and headed an unstoppable ball into the top corner.

Here's one for the real oldies, going back to the 60's Stan Steele returned to the club from South Africa and I'm sure, but not certain that on his 2nd debut he chipped the Vale keeper from the edge of the penalty area, brilliant finish....Wrong goal !

Would love someone to say they remember it as well, my memory plays tricks these days.

On 15/12/2021 at 15:53, Lornelounger said:

I seem to remember Bobby Thomson, the former Wolves and England player who played for us in the mid seventies scoring an absolutely bizarre own goal (against Rotherham I think? - not sure) when he was defending a cross whilst running back to the goal, and went to clear the ball in to row Z with a well placed hoof. Instead, he absolutely smashed it in to the top corner of our net - brilliant finish. No TV cameras to record it, but it stuck in my mind, because of the shock on everyone's face after he'd done it - he really hammered it, and it was unstoppable.

I was trying to remember who it was and you're right. Definitely Rotherham, at Millmoor, and it came off his knee and screamed into the roof of the net.

20 hours ago, blackdog said:

Here's one for the real oldies, going back to the 60's Stan Steele returned to the club from South Africa and I'm sure, but not certain that on his 2nd debut he chipped the Vale keeper from the edge of the penalty area, brilliant finish....Wrong goal !

Would love someone to say they remember it as well, my memory plays tricks these days.

Blackdog, look at the second post in this thread. I give a detailed account of the goal.  It was not his second debut, it was his second game in his third spell, and his last every game for Vale.

48 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

Blackdog, look at the second post in this thread. I give a detailed account of the goal.  It was not his second debut, it was his second game in his third spell, and his last every game for Vale.

Thanks for that EV I thought my memory was playing tricks although I suppose it was because I thought it was his 2nd debut !

Not withstanding it was a cracker of a goal, next question, did Roy Cross rifle one in against Aston Villa early 70's  or am I dreaming again ?

We played Lincoln in 2009/10 and their defender rolled a backpass wide of his keeper and into an empty net after about 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure it was the former West Ham defender Ian Pearce.

After 15 minutes we'd scored three goals and missed a pen.

44 minutes ago, Santa said:

We played Lincoln in 2009/10 and their defender rolled a backpass wide of his keeper and into an empty net after about 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure it was the former West Ham defender Ian Pearce.

After 15 minutes we'd scored three goals and missed a pen.

Remember that one very well as I was in the directors box for it.

Think it might have stuck with me had I been in my own seat anyway of course!

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

Thanks for that EV I thought my memory was playing tricks although I suppose it was because I thought it was his 2nd debut !

Not withstanding it was a cracker of a goal, next question, did Roy Cross rifle one in against Aston Villa early 70's  or am I dreaming again ?

Not a dream Roy scored against us for Villa in that famous 4-4 draw, see the link below for the Sentinel summary:

45 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

Not a dream Roy scored against us for Villa in that famous 4-4 draw, see the link below for the Sentinel summary:

Once again thanks for that EV, you've put my mind at rest I'm not going mad.........................I hope. 

Not an own goal, but the next best thing.

Vale played Lincoln at Sincil Bank when Graham Taylor was Lincoln manager. They were top of the table and all over us from the start, and one of their forwards rounded the keeper (Alan Boswell?) and shot for goal. Terry Bailey launched himself across the goal and pulled off a magnificent diving save.

After he was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity Lincoln scored the resulting penalty. 😁

Archived