• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

Being a footballer is a weird profession. People try to deem it 'just a job' but, whether footballers like/agree with it or not, they are the most visible representatives of vital social institutions. A lot of people are very reliant on football clubs, and therefore footballers, for things like community, friends, social interaction, and mental health.

Leon Legge, and previously Tom Pope, have the right to hold whatever view they want to. Sometimes, when you hold certain positions, you have to be careful what views you share on public platforms. We've all been there. I worked in education and had to be very careful what I'd put on social media. 

I think it's right that Legge reminds himself is is a former captain of a club which has lost a large number of fans to this pandemic. He has every right to his own view but sharing it publicly and, at times aggressively, on a profile in which he labels himself a Port Vale player, is a dangerous game he's playing in my view. It's up to him what he does but he also then has to deal with the consequences. 

There will be a lot of Port Vale fans still grieving the early loss of loved ones and reading Legge tweet this sort of stuff must be difficult to reconcile when they then see him pull on the Vale shirt on Saturdays.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Advert:

I don't think Legge should be sacked. He'll be released at the end of the season anyway. But I do question the wisdom of putting him out to face the media for the pre match Exeter press conference when he's off on Twitter posting such rubbish as the pandemic starts to bite again

6 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

I respect this has gone a bit off topic, but it's this kind of thing that sets the tone for the kind of moral fibre of the club. That and there isn't a game to talk about.

Having read through his twitter this morning, I am passing judgement on Legge and suggesting that he probably should be sacked, the same way I felt about Pope suggesting we are being controlled by Jews, we allowed him to take the piss out of Vale fans over the years. 

If not sacked at the very least suspended and somehow shown the door to play at a lower level (where his one dimensional defending belongs). 

It's the level of disrespect for people who have suffered with this I'm struggling to comprehend. Letting a pea brained footballer directly contradict the club, the owners, the hubb foundation and probably his fellow professionals is to me enough to sack him.

If anyone can show me other L2/L1 footballers with this kind of level of twitter <ovf censored> i'd suggest they be sacked as well. His comments and retweets are consistent enough for me to dismiss how 'professional' his conduct is in the future. 

I also like how he hates Zuckerberg but doesn't mind being in the twitter universe 24/7 to moan about his boohoo men delivery. It makes a good echo chamber for his 'views' and retweets, so easy to pick and choose your social media platforms when your not being 'controlled' by the illuminati.

Have to admit I’ve not read it.  My time is too precious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

I find it odd that we (and other clubs) do not make it a condition of a player's contract that they do not post on social media.

If FGR can dictate what their players eat then surely the above would be permissable.

There will almost certainly be something in the contracts which covers this.  Obviously it’s up to the club to decide what is/isn’t acceptable and intervene if deemed necessary, then follow whatever process they have in place, which, if I remember correctly, was the situation with Pope. 

Advert:

I personally don't give a shìt what Legge, or any other footballer's opinion is on absolutely anything.

For some reason, footballer's seem to think their opinions are always right, and feel the need to voice it as loud as possible. Sad really. 

Time for a baileys. Merry Christmas you filthy animals.. (just my opinion ofcourse)

• Like 1

Advert:

45 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Not great results today.  Tranmere now level and played same amount of games. 

Still it's what we do but other results can help. 

Not too bad: Newport, Leyton Orient and Harrogate lost. The last two drawing would have been even better, but hey ho...

• Like 1

Well the inevitable has happened. Leon Legge has been called out on twitter by Piers Morgan. Piers was fishing with a silly tweet but Legge called him a <ovf censored> and then Morgan tweets about the vale game getting called off and tagging Legge.

Why oh why do we always have one idiot damaging what is such a growing reputation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well the inevitable has happened. Leon Legge has been called out on twitter by Piers Morgan. Piers was fishing with a silly tweet but Legge called him a and then Morgan tweets about the vale game getting called off and tagging Legge.

Why oh why do we always have one idiot damaging what is such a growing reputation.
So once again we have a so called 'senior pro' bringing the club into disrepute on social media by posting idiotic things and slinging personal abuse. Be interesting how Carol deals with this
  • Like 4

Advert:

I've had enough of Legge now.

He has his view, and to a certain extent I can understand it considering his condition.

However, he's now dragging our club's name through national negative attention. 

I get a bit angry, and have to calm myself down, when I think of the Vale fans we lost early to this virus (one in particular, who the club's existence and recent success is indebted heavily to). We had a 10 minute long remembrance service in the opening home game; a good number of the names read out would have passed away due to COVID. 

Leon has been a good player for us but he needs to remember who he is representing. He's entitled to his (in my opinion wrong) views but airing on social media several times a day + getting drawn into arguments is difficult to defend when there's Vale fans not in the stands on Saturdays because of COVID.

I would hope he's reminded of who his views are being associated with and how hard it can be for fans to read this sort of stuff.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 6

Sack the numpty off. Carol and co have done so so well to get this club respected, it’s been dragged through the mud for years and they have done so well and increased the reputation of the club. Legge is destroying this. He can have his opinion but is supposedly a professional and should act like one. Get rid. 

Whilst I’m an advocate of free speech, and appreciate that COVID is a very emotive topic, I have to say I would’ve hoped that someone within the club would’ve had a quiet word with Leon about his previous tweets on the subject and that would’ve been the end of it, thereby avoiding this latest episode.

• Like 2