• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert:

Yes we werent great but was anyone expecting anything else we have got the most rotten luck ever with injuries at the moment- didnt expect a result here against teams near the bottom we can bundle a result but agaisnt a half decent team with 0 attacking players what chance do you have. 

were 3rd in the league weve done incredibly well to be where we are. I think fans are forgetting how bad we were last season so to come this far so soon is a testament to the club.

weve got a rough couple of weeks coming up because we are going to struggle without a recognised striker. The effort and commitment is all there so lets just get behind them. Id be very surpised if in the next few weeks we play decent football we just have to grind out some results. 

Edited by Vale1995
  • Like 6

Thought Bezza from the Ale+Vale podcast as summarizer called it all right.  We didn't play well, deserved to lose, against a decent side. But no lack of effort. But under the circs no disgrace.

The view of the Jones one wasn't great on ifollow (wrong side). Looked very similar to the one not even given on Gibbo in the build up to their goal in real time.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Can't blame the board , Benning already this weeks blame merchant !

I think blaming Benning is an entirely insufficient over reaction. Strip Carol of her OBE, parade the entire squad round Burslem on a timbrel hung upside down by their toenails with rusty fish hooks… and that’s too good for ‘em.

Edited by Valiant62
  • Haha 1

Advert:

If every team had to play the second half of the season without any strikers at all, and had to play other players in those positions without replacing them, I’d genuinely expect us to win the league. Tread water against the four before January and pick up enough to stay relevant and then rebuild. Probably have nobody in for the Harrogate game either I’d suspect.

6 minutes ago, 1 said:

Probably have nobody in for the Harrogate game either I’d suspect.

We wouldn't no, as they have to be signed the day before. The earliest a window signing could play is against Brentford. 

I'd really like us to push the boat out and sign a free agent. This month is possibly the key bit of the season. 

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1

Also today’s game is not necessarily an indication of how the next games are going to go without strikers. 3 much easier games on paper coming up and bough we’re injury hit, I think there’s wins to be had there definitely. If I’m honest I think we have to be a bit more creative than matching players into a 532, regardless of who is available. It worked when we had two good ball-keeping, linking strikers, but it’s not set up to accommodate players who need support around them quickly. I think a formation change is needed myself, for the time being.

Edited by 1

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

Newport one point behind us now. 

I'm not sure we have the backbone for a promotion push .

Losing from winning positions tells me we have a weak mentality .

Credit to Newport .

How many defeats that .

Any more than 10 and no chance of finishing in top 3 .

To be honest we are probably at best a 7th placed side .

Obviously we would like them to be better but not to be .

Prove me wrong Vale 

Doesn't take much for you to turn on them. Yesterday you were absolutely full of praise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

Credit to Newport .

How many defeats that .

Prove me wrong Vale 

I disagree. With our best players back we are easily capable of a top 3 finish, but currently we have a ridiculous amount of injuries to key players.

• Like 4

Credit to Newport .
How many defeats that .
Prove me wrong Vale 
What absolute nonsense! Get a grip!!!

Fair result on the day, better side won and I’d say they were as decent as anyone we’ve faced this season (or at least that I’ve seen us play).

It is a minor miracle that we’ve picked up some points this week given that we are now missing Worrall, Wilson, Proctor, Rodney and Taylor from our options going forward. It showed badly today because we got very little going in an attacking sense today.

Can’t win them all and just need to get through to Jan and either the return of some players or some reinforcements being brought in.

Credit to Newport .

How many defeats that .

Prove me wrong Vale 

I love your optimism.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Inny said:
Credit to Newport .
How many defeats that .
Prove me wrong Vale 

What absolute nonsense! Get a grip!!!

Leave him alone he is obviously frustrated like we all are 

proper fan breadwinner is 

• Like 3

Advert:

I think we all need to be realistic. December we are in the hands of the gods. Even if new signings are made they will need to gel. I feel as soon as we get our injured players to return the confidence and results should start to return. On a cautionary note though it may take even more time to get the consistency back and players fitness. For now we live in the hope and the belief that better times will return  during January. I am sure the way this club is being run the January window will deliver.

• Like 3