onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

It is just a coincidence that Legge playing we loose rather than winning.  Feel this is down to some defence and midfield errors rather than Legge being the problem.  As you say Legge has played well and been solid.  It will change soon.
Whilst I'll tentatively agree with you for now, it possibly isn't as simple as saying Legge played well so it's not his fault. There will come a point where we may have to look beyond his individual performance and question whether his presence is actually affecting the team. As others have pointed out, when he plays, our defensive line is much further back to compensate for his lack of pace and mobility. Also, his distribution is woeful, by and large, and his continued attempts at those Hollywood balls out of defence are just lumps forward which gift the ball back to the oppo. Finally, with Legge you are going to get a man who wins most of the long balls into the box, but such is his desire to win the ball, he neglects to think about where it's going to go (usually straight back to them). It was the same with Pope. Individually, he could score in a very prescribed set of circumstances (deep floated pinpoint cross to the back post) but his lack of any mobility pace other ways to score etc had a detrimental impact on the team itself and quality of football. We could only play 1 way and had 1 game plan when he played. If, as was usually the case, our crossing was shocking, we created zilch and didn't score. This season proves so far how important it is to have different skillsets and ways of scoring to be successful rather than rely on a single way. There's a place for Legge, I'm just not convinced that it's starting games.

With regards to Legge being in the side and losing. I think it is more to do with the fact that we don't have Cass and Jones playing either side of him. We offer a lot more going forward as both are comfortable taking the ball out from the back. He is also often on when one of the usual wing backs isn't on.

Also I don't think we are currently endearing ourselves to the officials. We time waste from early in games and the keeper has been down injured more often than every other keeper I have ever seen play combined. Refs try to be impartial but are less likely to give us the benefit of the doubt when we spend the entire game taking the micky. We will be getting a reputation.

Unless you were at VP in 1959 you won't have, so probably over 70s might remember. 
Obviously a great experience, but you are in the same league as the PO winner in the next season. 59 was a promotion run with the top spot safe in April, whereas 54 was safe at Xmas with a 5 or 6 win gap. FGR are currently enjoying it.

3rd in league missing key players for quite a few games. How many of these players are in our first 11?

Top of the league lost twice all season, one of them against us. 

I think we all would have took this at the start of the season, surely?! 

Were going up! 

23 hours ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Leave him alone he is obviously frustrated like we all are 

proper fan breadwinner is 

Yes he is - and doesn't always get the support of other fans who line up to take the micky out of him! But - if Rancid Debra or any of the other doommongers had posted that, there would be another 10 pages devoted to just that one post!

On 11/12/2021 at 19:08, Packmoor_vale said:

Leave him alone he is obviously frustrated like we all are 

proper fan breadwinner is 

Thanks fella I'm a bit like DC I only want a W by our results .

I didn't even watch the game so really I shouldn't have a opinion just surprised at 1-0 ahead attacking a dodgy keeper we decide to try defend majority of game would have thought he would change it DC that is never mind a wasted opportunity put us clear in 3rd place  

The bigger picture is we still 3rd and I am happy with that and usually our performances are spot on but never like it when we try defend all game we ain't good enough do it and the results tell you that some of the goals conceded in certain games no one even tries throw themselves at the incoming efforts at our goal .

UTV 

31 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

I didn't even watch the game so really I shouldn't have a opinion just surprised at 1-0 ahead attacking a dodgy keeper we decide to try defend majority of game would have thought he would change it DC that is never mind a wasted opportunity put us clear in 3rd place  

The bigger picture is we still 3rd and I am happy with that and usually our performances are spot on but never like it when we try defend all game we ain't good enough do it and the results tell you that some of the goals conceded in certain games no one even tries throw themselves at the incoming efforts at our goal .

UTV 

I think normally after going 1-0 up we would have gone for it, but with  zero strikers available, he probably had no other option but to try and defend what we already had.

35 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

UTV 

Tough with 5 strikers out and only a young lad on the bench for attacking options / no midfielders other than burgess as well. 

57 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

UTV 

Breadwinner, Newport played the best 90 mins against Vale that any team has played this season (I've seen every game).

They pushed us back first half (Probably because we had no one to hold the ball up front) but we defended magnificently and scored a goal against the run of play. Second half they came on strong again and we had no choice but to defend and again we were defending superbly until they scored a superb goal and then another superb goal. If Vale had scored two goals of the same quality Vale fans would have been in raptures, credit where credit is due.

It wasn't a case of "We decided to defend" Vale had no choice, they played well and pushed us back, they have some very skillful and fast forwards. That game would have been a tough ask even with a full squad if Newport had played similar.

3 hours ago, philmpv said:

Whilst I'll tentatively agree with you for now, it possibly isn't as simple as saying Legge played well so it's not his fault. There will come a point where we may have to look beyond his individual performance and question whether his presence is actually affecting the team. As others have pointed out, when he plays, our defensive line is much further back to compensate for his lack of pace and mobility. Also, his distribution is woeful, by and large, and his continued attempts at those Hollywood balls out of defence are just lumps forward which gift the ball back to the oppo. Finally, with Legge you are going to get a man who wins most of the long balls into the box, but such is his desire to win the ball, he neglects to think about where it's going to go (usually straight back to them). It was the same with Pope. Individually, he could score in a very prescribed set of circumstances (deep floated pinpoint cross to the back post) but his lack of any mobility pace other ways to score etc had a detrimental impact on the team itself and quality of football. We could only play 1 way and had 1 game plan when he played. If, as was usually the case, our crossing was shocking, we created zilch and didn't score. This season proves so far how important it is to have different skillsets and ways of scoring to be successful rather than rely on a single way. There's a place for Legge, I'm just not convinced that it's starting games.

Yes I agree with you that Legge will probably not be in the side next season due to him being one of the older in the squad and becoming less mobile than the younger members.  

However, I just feel it is harsh that Legge is to be blamed for Vale always loosing when he is playing.  Question could be do other Vale players relax a bit more knowing he is in the back four and thereby allowing opposition players more time on the ball.  May be his lump the ball up mindset could be an issue and that is down to the management staff to bring up and get him to play a different way.  We seem to play a lot better when we keep the ball on the deck and play out wide.  

Agree with you the squad does seem to have the ability to swap around tactics during the game and that is something that has been missing on Vale Park.  

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Breadwinner, Newport played the best 90 mins against Vale that any team has played this season (I've seen every game).

They pushed us back first half (Probably because we had no one to hold the ball up front) but we defended magnificently and scored a goal against the run of play. Second half they came on strong again and we had no choice but to defend and again we were defending superbly until they scored a superb goal and then another superb goal. If Vale had scored two goals of the same quality Vale fans would have been in raptures, credit where credit is due.

It wasn't a case of "We decided to defend" Vale had no choice, they played well and pushed us back, they have some very skillful and fast forwards. That game would have been a tough ask even with a full squad if Newport had played similar.

Fair enough was a stoke  born lad who scored there first never heard of him personally but its a area of the pitch where we concede a fair few goals I think maybe taking Walker off backfired on us as he left the field on 65th minute and then the goals went in on 69th and 75th both goals very avoidable .

We will beat them easily at Vale parkwhen we have our 8 missing players in contention back ,I think all the travelling did us up to Rotherham then down to Burton and down to Bristol and then to South Wales ,one too many away games could have done with it being called off.

UTV 

11 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

Yes I agree with you that Legge will probably not be in the side next season due to him being one of the older in the squad and becoming less mobile than the younger members.  

However, I just feel it is harsh that Legge is to be blamed for Vale always loosing when he is playing.  Question could be do other Vale players relax a bit more knowing he is in the back four and thereby allowing opposition players more time on the ball.  May be his lump the ball up mindset could be an issue and that is down to the management staff to bring up and get him to play a different way.  We seem to play a lot better when we keep the ball on the deck and play out wide.  

Agree with you the squad does seem to have the ability to swap around tactics during the game and that is something that has been missing on Vale Park.  

Legge will be released in the summer with everyone's best wishes for his Sterling efforts in a Vale shirt. 

Don't think people are blaming him just pointing out the strange stat about us not winning this season when he's played. 

Archived