onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 hours ago, Doha said:

He did.

Regardless of having 9 forwards out injured, the amount of crosses we fail to block is shocking and is something that needs urgent attention. 

I was at the game and it looked a perfectly well timed tackle to me.  I was a little way away but looked okay, it was only when their players surrounded the ref that it became an issue.  Ref wasn't good today, how many keepers are booked in the 1st half for time wasting, ever?

Advert

It didn’t look like there was a lot in the Jones tackle other than he jumped off the floor and the referee panicked because he might have missed something.

Similar to the Gibbons sending off there a few seasons ago that was overturned on appeal. 

One thing that’s clear, without strikers we've lost that link up play that had defined most of our season. Little triangles in the final third to get us in behind. Today we had nothing. We set up to sit in and allow them the ball, and whilst they had a lot of the ball the majority of it was going sideways and I felt that they didn’t create many clear cut chances, but they were always in control of the game. Once we set up so defensively like that it’s hard to get out of that mentality, so when we needed to we couldn’t up the pace of the game. I’d also say that it looked like the busy period and maybe the long trips had taken its toll on some of our players, this weeks rest between games is needed. 

My guess is that with the busy schedule it also means that we haven’t had chance to work on patterns of forward play with  the personnel that we’re having to make do with. But this clear week gives us the opportunity to get some work into players who are unfamiliar with the position they now find themselves in. 

Didn't follow the game today. Can't comment on the performance but obviously disappointing to be 1-0 up at that point and go on to lose.

The goal since all 5 first choice strikers were injured hasn't changed - be in touch with the top 3 (within 3 points ideally) when the window opens. 

3 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Newport one point behind us now. 

I'm not sure we have the backbone for a promotion push .

Losing from winning positions tells me we have a weak mentality .

Credit to Newport .

How many defeats that .

Any more than 10 and no chance of finishing in top 3 .

To be honest we are probably at best a 7th placed side .

Obviously we would like them to be better but not to be .

Prove me wrong Vale 

Christ mate. Chill. We're third. You're a good, passionate lad but this is farcical. 

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Christ mate. Chill. We're third. You're a good, passionate lad but this is farcical. 

Cannot help m8 defo not farcial .

3rd or not you one up away playing defensively why not bring Bailey on earlier and put Legge up front and try get a second .

Sitting on a 1-0 lead giving all the momentum to Newport is poor why not give them something think about .

Dc being on says nowhere near today well freshen it up when winning use 3 subs sick of this concede one goal then another one shortly after .

Like I say maybe I shouldn't be bothered we in 3rd place  overally season wise doing well however if our performance is right generally the result is right the performance on what I'm hearing was anything but right so have we run out of steam after 20 odd games .

We damn well better not have .

UTV 

50 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Didn't follow the game today. Can't comment on the performance but obviously disappointing to be 1-0 up at that point and go on to lose.

Yep, that’s the disappointment for me. In some respects a 1-0 or 2-0 might have been preferable because this points to a recurring theme. 

As frustrating as it was today, we've got to remain level headed. We've got a depleted squad - all forward thinking players. Our pattern of play reflects the lack of forwards.

As people have said the league is not won or lost in December.

I firmly believe that we have a squad that is good enough for promotion. However, we are going to find the next few games difficult without a full squad.

We'll have a full squad to pick from in readiness for the promotion/play off push. As well as this we'll have added an additional forward in January IMO.

Newport were decent but when the opposition haven't got any forward players and can't get up the pitch and give the Newport defenders anything to think about then it becomes easy for them! Just keep pressing us!

We'll bounce back. Our squad is too good not to. UTV

One game too many today with the injury crisis etc,i think we just ran out of luck against a team in form,wish all team had the commitment Garritty brings to the side.Take it on the chin let the lads have a break and bounce back better for the massive Exeter game next saturday.UTV!

We were never going to avoid defeat in a few games and this one, against a form side on their own patch, was almost inevitable given the length of our injury list. Even then though we took the lead and held it till the last third.

Yes, it's going to be tough for a while and we can expect to lose a few. But given the strength of spirit in the squad I'm sure we'll win many more than we lose, hopefully starting with Exeter next Saturday. 

51 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

There is a shortage of forwards every game

Look I’m disappointed we lost but not downhearted, because I get where we are with injuries that have mostly come in one area of the pitch during an exceptionally busy period.

In any game there will be things that impress you in victory and things that disappoint you in defeat.

Today I was disappointed in the fact that having gone in front, yet again we couldn’t manage to take something from the game, as a few posters have also mentioned. 

Successful teams find ways to grind out results in those circumstances. Somebody once said that clean sheets win championships (or words to that effect). Well we are failing badly at that aspect of the game.

Archived