onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Newport County v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just now, Lornelounger said:

Context SH - we are down key players, against a team on the up away from home - so yes, a tough ask. I don't think many on this forum have said we've played well today - beaten by a better side overall.  I prefer to accept the positives, rather than the negatives you mention re sustaining attacks. Helps to have attackers on the pitch who can hold it up - Proctor, Wilson, Lloyd, Rodney and Amoo all injured meant it was unlikely to stick up top, putting more pressure on the defence.  Seems to me this was a game where we were stretched and struggled without our usual attacking options. I'm okay with us being poor, given the circumstances. We're still third.

I take your point and accept it.

We are always going to be over emotional and critical straight after a defeat.

We were poor but we move on.

Advert

9 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Not good enough second half. A bit like the second half agains Bristol Rovers. We do have a tendency of playing really deep and sitting in during second halves, especially when winning.

It was always going to be an uphill battle with our injuries. However, the inability to keep the ball, sustain attacks and create chances was disappointing. We had one shot, which we scored. 

Could be down to the intensity we play from the start which is very difficult to maintain?

Sounds like DC and Co have the matrix out again and looking at a couple of Strikers to come in January from interviews they have given.  

Today's game was always going to be very hard to win, but when Vale scored thought miracles could happen.  Newport was always going to attack us and push Vale back into our half.  The players tried their best against a side on the up and full of confidence after their mid week game.  

Yes it hurts to lose, but they tried their best.  Results went our way, which is good for our league position.

Credit where credit's due, Newport played the best 90 mins any team have played against Vale this season and they topped it off with two superb goals.  It would have been a tough ask even if we had a full squad, IMHO Vale competed well especially 1st half.

Never a red, Jones was first to the ball, their player fell over him.

Couldn't understand the subs unless for injury.

Vale just got to scrap it out until a forward can be signed, try to amass as many points as possible and stay in and around the promo/play-off places.

I still think we're the best side in this league when everybody is fit. The points we've dropped from winning positions... Newport, Oldham, Rochdale, Sutton. I'd have taken a point today but always really disappointing when taken the lead.

We need to make sure this period doesn't derail our season. Pick up scabby points, shithouse our way through. Every point is vital.

5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Never expected anything today but can’t help but feel disappointed that having got our noses in front we come away with nothing. The number of times this has happened is this ridiculous…today, Oldham, Sutton, Rochdale. 

We have thrown points away by not defending hit and hope balls better in our box but you really can't put todays game in the same context as Oldham,Sutton,Rochdale.

2 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I still think we're the best side in this league when everybody is fit. The points we've dropped from winning positions... Newport, Oldham, Rochdale, Sutton. I'd have taken a point today but always really disappointing when taken the lead.

We need to make sure this period doesn't derail our season. Pick up scabby points, shithouse our way through. Every point is vital.

We are certainly an exciting team to follow.

For all those games we have lost from being in front, we have won from behind at Burton, Crawley, Barrow and Orient. 

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Never expected anything today but can’t help but feel disappointed that having got our noses in front we come away with nothing. The number of times this has happened is this ridiculous…today, Oldham, Sutton, Rochdale. 

This is what frustrates me too. We often sit back when in front rather than trying to pin the opposition back and killing the game off. This has happened on at least 4 occasions now where we we’ve ended up dropping points.

This is more a generalisation of the whole season, not just today. Today was never going to be pretty, I get that.

Always raw after the final whistle when emotions run high 

Barrow v Swindon, Exeter v Northampton,  Orient v Crawley. 

If you'd told me at 3-00pm we'd match their points tally I'd of expected that we'd of won. 

Other than Newport winning its been an okay ish day . 

Keep the faith chaps we have to hang in there by hook or by crook 

Archived