onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FA Cup third round draw

robf

Advert

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

It’s not that, it’s just that I think we were one  number away (Morecombe below us away at Spurs) from a draw that could be transformational for the club. I do feel it’s a bit like 1987/88 when all the bits are falling into place and the optimism and finance from a draw like a Spurs would be felt for years. I think another year in this god forsaken League would not be good.

Let's fill Vale Park, reap the finacial reward AND get promoted!

5 minutes ago, FriedRice said:

Cant believe the moaning on this thread we reached the third round and got premiership club ffs its money and a chance for us to go further how many years did we not even get this far 

I'm just disappointed for Carol and Kevin. I wanted another huge payday for them.

We need to remember they paid MASSIVELY over the odds to get he club out of Smurthwaite's grubby hands.

City away obviously helped, and it's probably a bit unrealistic/greedy to expect another 'big' team, but my overall feeling is being gutted for them.

33 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

We have roughly 5k home supporters, this isn’t going to double overnight , a gate of 7-8k would be great assuming they bring 1500

I looked on their forum last night, they’re says it’s a good away end and that they’d like to fill it with 4,500. One even commenting on what a great draw as they’ll get to see their two favourite clubs.

22 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I looked on their forum last night, they’re says it’s a good away end and that they’d like to fill it with 4,500. One even commenting on what a great draw as they’ll get to see their two favourite clubs.

Commenting we a a good proper club, good away end, good place to go drinking, proper old skool away day, direct trains and good chance for them to get a ticket...... what's not to like ☺️

Got to be reasonably happy with the draw really, ok it's not the most glamorous, but there were 126 possible outcomes (63 other teams, home or away), of which you'd probably say about 8 away days (big 6 plus massive grounds like Newcastle or Villa) would be better, so already that's 55 worse outcomes than what we've got!

OK, most other Prem teams at home would be better, but I'd still rather Brentford, given our history with them and the football they play, than relatively nothingy Prem teams like Burnley, Brighton, Norwich, Palace or Watford. So maybe 15 prem teams, plus someone local (but not bog-smashing local!) like West Brom, Forest or Derby might be better from the Championship. Definitely wouldn't want another L1 or L2 team, even if it did give us chance to progress (where's the sense of occasion in that?), or a banana skin like Chesterfield to contend with.

So there's not far shy of 100 worse outcomes we could have had than Brentford at home. No, it won't be a massive payday, and it's unlikely to be on tv (although you never know, as we have been more prominent in the media nationally of late, our star is definitely rising), but still a chance of a big scalp, a good test against quality opposition, and probably pushing 10k if they bring about 3k (doubt they'll sell out as their forum hopes, but if they took 1,500 to Stoke in midweek for the Carabao, why not double that for a weekend FA Cup game?).

It's all good, and as has been said above, a free hit, unbudgeted extra income, and a chance to continue building a bit of buzz about the place. UTV! 

Tickets will be £22ish so should be attractively priced (I'd imagine they would be used to paying much more for Prem/Champ away games) and they will be clear favourites to win so would be a great day out for them.

I hope they can bring 3,000+

That's what I'd expect of a Premier League club, but if we're being honest, Brentford are probably a similar sized club to us.

They averaged similar gates to us before their genius owner Benham bought the club and transformed it. I massively respect and admire what they've done since he took over but they've only averaged 10,000 gates in the Championship, so to expect them to sell out 4,500 will be a tough ask.

Just hoping there are 6-7 games on TV and we can be one of them to help Carol and Kevin out!

Imagine Brentford being described as a "big scalp" even just a few years ago. Jesus.

Could have been Norwich/Brighton/Peterborough/Hull etc away though.

Morecambe away at Spurs will be good, Spurs probably have more training staff than Morecambe have fans.

8 minutes ago, Doha said:

Imagine Brentford being described as a "big scalp" even just a few years ago. Jesus.

I know, it's weird. Just 8 years ago we were playing each other in L1, but they're a mid-table Premier League team right now and we're, errr... not.

Archived