Match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert:

I watched DCs post-match interview on Youtube, last night. There were half a dozen or so comments from "Gasheads" - all in praise of DC, and some complimentary to us, wishing us well and saying we're a "proper club"! But it's evident that Bristol's fans would take DC back in a shot - he must be a real bastard! haha

9 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Ever likely the Gas Heads gave DC a warm welcome when they have to listen to this sort of drivel after games….

Got to agree with him about the diving and play acting in the game and the referees not having a clue and he’s also bang on with his comments about grealish 

Advert:

8 hours ago, toyahw said:

You couldn't really see it on ifollow. But I very much doubt Conlon was play acting.  Looked like he got a black eye taking an elbow or something. Vale players weren't crowding the ref or anything. Liner gave it.  

There's an alternative angle here. 

It's tricky to see but it looks like Conlon treads on his foot (could be deliberate, could be accidental) and Finley appears to react by attempting a headbutt and then looks to be swinging his arm (just before the camera pans away).

Even if Conlon did provoke a reaction first (which is debatable and maybe a yellow at most) it looks a clear red to me - it's essentially two serious foul play offences in the space of seconds. 

These are Barton's words on the incident (and presumably same video clip) which are clearly nonsense. 

"You can just see it from the angle that it’s at, there’s a coming together in the build-up to the throw-in. I think he stands on Sam’s toe or something like that and it just plays out. (yes, he does well at least that's one thing you've got right Joey)

"Sam then runs alongside him, they go shoulder to shoulder and the lad dives on the floor and makes out like he’s been headbutted. (in reality 1. Conlon doesn't react to the headbutt he reacts to the arm afterwards 2. If you move your head towards someone's face, which Finley does, then the intent is enough for the officials regardless of contact)

"The linesman is the backside of it. Sam has his back to the linesman. (in reality both players are face on to the assistant referee who has an clear, unobstructed view)

He’s then called the ref over and says he’s headbutted him and he’s dismissed for violent conduct. (and as he is seen moving his head towards Conlon's face, your point Joey is?)

"Yes, 100 per cent," Barton replied when asked about appealing. "I’ll be showing the officials the other angles because I don’t think the linesman has got the best angle of it. (ignoring the fact the assistant ref had an unobscured view from close by)

7 hours ago, robf said:

There's an alternative angle here. 

It's tricky to see but it looks like Conlon treads on his foot (could be deliberate, could be accidental) and Finley appears to react by attempting a headbutt and then looks to be swinging his arm (just before the camera pans away).

Even if Conlon did provoke a reaction first (which is debatable and maybe a yellow at most) it looks a clear red to me - it's essentially two serious foul play offences in the space of seconds. 

In my view the first contact is when their guy treads down on Conlons heel, to which TC reacts by stamping on the foot of the opponent and it goes on from there.

Edited by Guitar Ray
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Advert:

Unsurprisingly, Bristol Rovers' appeal against the Finley red was rejected.

But once again, Barton's thoughts on it (given to the Bristol press today) deserve scrutiny:

"We appealed it and almost as it blue ticked for the send, it was sent back with a rejection," Barton said. "They (referees) all back each other up. They don’t tend to (overturn it) unless it’s blatant and obvious. We thought it was from the other angle. (apart from the fact that 'other angle' (see video on page 22 of this thread) shows an attempted headbutt (enough intent in itself to be a red) and what appears to be a swinging arm just before it cuts away. So it's the opposite of blatantly showing nothing happens. After the match Barton also claimed the official couldn't have seen it because the players' backs were to them (which is wrong) - the video shows the official had a clear view and he didn't miss any of it)

"The referee said in his report that it was an elbow, which you can see it wasn’t off the replay, but they’re a group that protect their own mistakes. (apart from the fact that Conlon doesn't go down after the attempted headbutt but goes down off camera with Finley looking to have swung an arm, so the explanation of an 'elbow' makes sense)

The referees stick together and you know it’s going to fall on deaf ears and as I say, they’ve got their own group and as soon as it was sent in it was rejected. (apart from the fact that their explanation seems rational rather than some conspiracy against the great Joey Barton)

"You have to appeal because if the ref had the benefit of the replays we had or VAR, he wouldn’t have sent him off but at this level, they almost have to compound their mistake by backing it up because they have to stick together." (apart from the fact that replays or VAR may well have shown the swinging arm incident even more clearly)

• Like 1