onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Bristol Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Massive credit to the players digging deep and getting a result.  But it looked like what it was. Us down to the bare bones. Second best most of the game but we take the points. Well done lads, you can't expect any more than that as a fan.

We were the better team in the first half. Second half we got complacent, conceded a poor goal and that allowed them to get their tales up a bit and have a little bit of belief again despite being a man down at the time. Should have won it much more comfortably and controlled the game much better but really don't see how we were second best for most of the game.

Advert

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

We were the better team in the first half. Second half we got complacent, conceded a poor goal and that allowed them to get their tales up a bit and have a little bit of belief again despite being a man down at the time. Should have won it much more comfortably and controlled the game much better but really don't see how we were second best for most of the game.

Well maybe not second best.  Just didn't look a player up, or two even.  I wasn't sure what we trying to do second half. But we won. So that is all that matters. UTV

I think we were second best for about 20 minutes, then killed the game, then they got a 2nd sent off. It was men against boys first half.

They got a lift when we lost a bit of control after two enforced subs and playing with zero forwards, a bit of huffing and puffing, and a lucky deflected goal. That's it. Stone was bored otherwise. If Yates hadn't kept banging on about 'killing minutes' then it would have been a fairly serene last 15 as they never looked close to doing anything.

2 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Well maybe not second best.  Just didn't look a player up, or two even.  I wasn't sure what we trying to do second half. But we won. So that is all that matters. UTV

I thought we completely dominated them from the red card until half time. They barely touched the ball. Second half a different story. 

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think we were second best for about 20 minutes, then killed the game, then they got a 2nd sent off. It was men against boys first half.

They got a lift when we lost a bit of control after two enforced subs and playing with zero forwards, a bit of huffing and puffing, and a lucky deflected goal. That's it. Stone was bored otherwise. If Yates hadn't kept banging on about 'killing minutes' then it would have been a fairly serene last 15 as they never looked close to doing anything.

People who were actually at the game described it as nerve-shredding.

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

I thought we completely dominated them from the red card until half time. They barely touched the ball. Second half a different story. 

I'd agree with that. This is not a criticism, as we won. But I could not understand what we were doing second half. But this is nit picking chewing the fat kind of thing, great result for us.

4 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Probably would be if you'd driven 120 miles and stood in a storm and the game was at 2-1, but they never came close to threatening us.

Yes, the game should have been put away, but the view that we were in any way 'under the cosh' or 'clinging on' is one I disagree with. Last 10 we were playing keep ball in their corners. Stone hasn't made a save. Their only shot on target went in and it was deflected. 

5 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

It was nerve shredding because of Sutton and Oldham. 

We just lost control for a spell. Can't speak for others but I kept glancing over my shoulders at the clock on the scoreboard even against 9. I also expected far more than 4 minutes injury time. 

It's vale we don't do things easy.

Ps literally with one second to go there was what looked an horrendous challenge on Gibbo. Worthy of a 3rd red to me. All irrelevant now. 

Thought first half was the best I've seen the Vale play this season, movement and passing were superb, players wanted the ball, Conlon outstanding, Politic's footwork scarily good, Garrity's running and the organization and shape of the team was excellent. Yep it was against 10 men but they were chasing shadows and at times I thought they were just admiring Vale's play it was so good. Different kettle of fish 2nd half though.

The frustrating thing is, that were it not for basically two made spells (Sutton and Oldham) we would be 6 points better off and 10 clear of 8th place meaning that this upcoming period of matches wouldn’t look quite so daunting. Small margins can make such a difference even it the end of a 46-game season.

11 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It was nerve shredding because of Sutton and Oldham. 

We just lost control for a spell. Can't speak for others but I kept glancing over my shoulders at the clock on the scoreboard even against 9. I also expected far more than 4 minutes injury time. 

It's vale we don't do things easy.

Ps literally with one second to go there was what looked an horrendous challenge on Gibbo. Worthy of a 3rd red to me. All irrelevant now. 

I thought that was after the final whistle.

Archived