Jump to content

Cricket - the Ashes 2021


robf
 Share

Recommended Posts

The poor standard of the England cricket team is partly explained by systemic issues. Firstly racism which is institutionalised in English cricket and means Asians and Black ethnic groups are significantly under represented. Secondly elitism which also tends to inhibit potential players from poorer backgrounds. Thirdly the structure of the game where county cricket is fitted in at the start and end of the season to facilitate the one day and 20 20 diary and means batsman are not practicing in the best conditions of the season. 

Fundamental root and branch change needed or stop playing county and test cricket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I`m surprised to see Moeen  Ali sitting comfortably on the BT sport sofa summarising on the latest test. i thought he didn`t like the longer form of cricket.

I hope he doesn`t leave a yellow streak on that sofa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 29/12/2021 at 18:39, Paul6754 said:

What is it with English fast bowlers and their fitness. What's happened to Jofra Archer and Olly Stone, also Mark Wood was supposedly not fit for the 2nd test. A bowling attack containing Archer, Stone ,Wood and Anderson or Robinson would have  posed a real threat and then perhaps our brittle batsmen may even have stirred themselves for a fight......but then again.

I think that's the risk you take when your tactic is to rely on fast bowlers. It happened to the Aussies a few series back when Cummins, Patterson and Starc (I think) were all crocked and their media was asking how they were being managed. 

Sadly, even if England had all three available I still think it wouldn't have addressed the fundamental problems - poor batting, poor team selection and poor captaincy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think that's the risk you take when your tactic is to rely on fast bowlers. It happened to the Aussies a few series back when Cummins, Patterson and Starc (I think) were all crocked and their media was asking how they were being managed. 

Sadly, even if England had all three available I still think it wouldn't have addressed the fundamental problems - poor batting, poor team selection and poor captaincy. 

Agree with all of that and especially the last sentence. Joe Root is not a good captain -I feel better for saying that -. Great batsman but not a good captain.. How many times does he run out of ideas and put all of the fielders on the fence? Once again, last night, on the first day of the test he brings on poor Jack Leach and puts most of the fielders back. What message does that send to the bowler, to the opposition batsman and to the team bosses? Jack Leach has been so badly managed by the England team. Squad selection is part of the captains role. I have no idea what Root must say to Jack Leach about what he wants him to do for the team.

Good day for England though thanks largely to the weather. Australia batting first will have to get a move on tomorrow to make sure they are in a good position to get a result in this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


19 hours ago, robf said:

I think that's the risk you take when your tactic is to rely on fast bowlers. It happened to the Aussies a few series back when Cummins, Patterson and Starc (I think) were all crocked and their media was asking how they were being managed. 

Sadly, even if England had all three available I still think it wouldn't have addressed the fundamental problems - poor batting, poor team selection and poor captaincy. 

Rob, Have to agree to disagree. If you have three or even two bowlers bowling at ca 145 km/hr from an end at the same time the batsmen don't get a breather and start to play at balls they wouldn't normally play at, play rash shots and are just forced out of their normal rhythm hence they make mistakes. The Aussie commentators were effectively saying the same things during tonight's commentary.

Granted the English batting hasn't been good but the series would have been much closer if England would have had Archer, Wood and Stone in the team to pick from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Rob, Have to agree to disagree. If you have three or even two bowlers bowling at ca 145 km/hr from an end at the same time the batsmen don't get a breather and start to play at balls they wouldn't normally play at, play rash shots and are just forced out of their normal rhythm hence they make mistakes. The Aussie commentators were effectively saying the same things during tonight's commentary.

Granted the English batting hasn't been good but the series would have been much closer if England would have had Archer, Wood and Stone in the team to pick from.

I'm not sure. I don't pay too much attention to what the commentators say to be honest - they are often there to fill in the silence.

It would be good to have the choice of the three fast men but I wouldn't think they'd all play in the same team.

As much as I'm fed up with England picking three right handed fast-medium bowlers I think the same could happen with three fast men and the lack of variation could hamper rather than help us.

For me it's about variety -The Aussies have variety in that Starc is a leftie, Hazelwood is more of a line and length man and Lyon's always there as a spin option.

For me, I'd be happy with a combination of different threats - different pace, right/left combinations.

The other problem I would worry about with Stone, Archer and Wood all playing is a) what if any/all of them break down b) that's a LONG tail and c) how on earth would you keep to the over rate. You'd end up being docked points if you aren't careful. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All about the batsman and fielding for me. Bowlers have done very well, if we had a decent spinner and stokes bowling anywhere close to his best it would have made our main bowlers more dangerous. That’s the difference imo between the bowling sides. Anderson / Broad / wood come off and there is a huge drop off, with the Ausies, Starc comes off and then Lyon comes on ect. 

Batting is 100% the issue though, batters have also put pressure on our bowlers and not allowed them time to rest between innings. 

Personally I’m happy for us to go into every test with broad Anderson and wood. It’s then that 4th seamer and the spinning option that needs to be improved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree with that. You do potentially get a long tail with Broad, Anderson, Wood and a spinner but frankly if the batsmen do their job that shouldn't matter as you shouldn't be relying on 7-11 to bail you out.

The difference between the spinners is simply immense - Lyon, 12 wickets at 21.75 with an economy of 2.10 / Leach 2 wickets at 118.5 with an economy of 4.55

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


On 05/01/2022 at 08:24, bycars rob said:

I`m surprised to see Moeen  Ali sitting comfortably on the BT sport sofa summarising on the latest test. i thought he didn`t like the longer form of cricket.

I hope he doesn`t leave a yellow streak on that sofa.

His comments to cook today were way out of order 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

400+ again and the bowlers have done well? 

All I see is again pressure on the batsmen to bat for a draw. Expect another collapse.

Yes bowled well. Broad and wood especially. As I put above, once the first 3 bowlers are out of the attack it’s easy for them. It’s a road out there and if we could bad I’d expect us to make a similar today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Yes bowled well. Broad and wood especially. As I put above, once the first 3 bowlers are out of the attack it’s easy for them. It’s a road out there and if we could bad I’d expect us to make a similar today. 

Even if we could bat, we are once again in a position where we are batting under pressure. I expect lots of men around the bat and the chances that will come will go to hand. I hope it isnt going to be another abject failure, but it probably will... I am rather pleased I decided (at the last moment) against stumping up for 2 months of BT sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Yes bowled well. Broad and wood especially. As I put above, once the first 3 bowlers are out of the attack it’s easy for them. It’s a road out there and if we could bad I’d expect us to make a similar today. 

I watched Wood bowling to Kawahja and Carey and both were in survival mode, how Wood didn't claim both their wickets was down to pure luck on their part. Unfortunately Leach was bowling at the other end and they just picked him off as and when. kawahja looked in control facing everybody except Wood.

I fear for England tomorrow as there's something in this pitch for the bowlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, robf said:

I'm not sure. I don't pay too much attention to what the commentators say to be honest - they are often there to fill in the silence.

It would be good to have the choice of the three fast men but I wouldn't think they'd all play in the same team.

As much as I'm fed up with England picking three right handed fast-medium bowlers I think the same could happen with three fast men and the lack of variation could hamper rather than help us.

For me it's about variety -The Aussies have variety in that Starc is a leftie, Hazelwood is more of a line and length man and Lyon's always there as a spin option.

For me, I'd be happy with a combination of different threats - different pace, right/left combinations.

The other problem I would worry about with Stone, Archer and Wood all playing is a) what if any/all of them break down b) that's a LONG tail and c) how on earth would you keep to the over rate. You'd end up being docked points if you aren't careful. 

 

5 hours ago, robf said:

Rob, Not being facetious but when it's Shane Warne, other ex-Aussie test players and Michael Vaughn talking about cricket I listen 'cause it's fascinating to get their take.

I saw the "Broad article" on the BBC website this morning and my reaction was that you bowl them out for a similar score or less and you're still well and truly in the game.

For me in club cricket batsmen generally win matches but when it comes to test cricket it's the bowlers who usually win the games, particularly fast bowlers on the hard and fast, bouncy pitches in Australia.

The Ashes in Australia are famous for fast bowlers who have dominated a series from Larwood and Voce to Jon Snow to Lille and Thomson to Mitchell Clarke to Starc et al now. 

The English batsmen playing in Australia are all good county players, possibly the issue is in County Cricket they don't face many very pacey bowlers with the bounce as they face in test cricket in Australia and it's virtually incessant, add to that if the pitch/ball is doing a bit it's difficult to cope with.

I always wondered how the great West Indian batsmen, Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Greenidge etc would would have done facing up to the likes of Curtly, Michael Holding, Michael Walsh, Andy Roberts etc, it would have been  some contest.

Edited by Paul6754

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

I watched Wood bowling to Kawahja and Carey and both were in survival mode, how Wood didn't claim both their wickets was down to pure luck on their part. Unfortunately Leach was bowling at the other end and they just picked him off as and when. kawahja looked in control facing everybody except Wood.

I fear for England tomorrow as there's something in this pitch for the bowlers.

Agreed, that’s the issue, I think we will do slightly better than previous as it looks a great track, 250 all out? As everyone knows it all rests on Root and maybe Malan. 
 

Wood has bowled great all serious but seems a really unlucky bowler 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...