Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

At last England players come in to occupy the crease and prepared to build an innings, great to see Hameed and Milan in particular be prepared to leave the balls out side off stick and generally cut out the rash shots, add to that Root's quality (Although he couldn't resist playing the sweep at times off Lyons) and hey presto, a partnership of some substance.

New ball due after 10 overs tomorrow so hopefully Malan and Root will be seeing it as big as a football when it's taken and can go on and make big hundreds leaving the stage set for Stokes and Butler.  A lead of 250+ and it will be very interesting, can always hope.

Advert:

Do any of our so called  batsmen know there are only 3 stumps behind them why do they play at a ball that would not hit 5 atrocious batting by so called test match batsmen.Get in the nets and start learning how to leave a ball that would not hit 5 stumps.This is not a one day international its a test series bat bloody properly or come home and work for a living you disgusted.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Do any of our so called  batsmen know there are only 3 stumps behind them why do they play at a ball that would not hit 5 atrocious batting by so called test match batsmen.Get in the nets and start learning how to leave a ball that would not hit 5 stumps.This is not a one day international its a test series bat bloody properly or come home and work for a living you disgusted.

Totally agree. Are England not coached how to play a defensive shot. Oh for the return of a Boycott, Barrington, Edrich who could hold an end up. Some of the English strokes this morning were shocking.

53 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Totally agree. Are England not coached how to play a defensive shot. Oh for the return of a Boycott, Barrington, Edrich who could hold an end up. Some of the English strokes this morning were shocking.

For once I completely agree with TT. I know England have had hardly any practice time, but even so....it was awful. I'd love to hear Boycott's opinion on it, but I think I can guess,

Advert:

6 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

So much for hope, tuned in just to see Harris hit Wood for 4 to end the match, ffs.

The flame flickered for a short time on day 3 only to be extinguished in a trice on day four.  Don't know why I've become so lyrical when I'm really p**sed off with such ill-disciplined batting!!

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

Chris Tavare the master , 27 not out after 267 balls faced .

I genuinely think that the 20/20 and hundred will make matters worse.  Nobody knows how to bat properly any more. 

No point these days buying a ticket for the 4th day . 

God that was poor. Worst thing for me is that the majority (If not all) 2nd innings wickets were poor shots by us rather than good bowling. 

Why do we keep playing one days shots. What is root doing trying to angle that away for a single? He tried it last ball of day 3 as well. Just leave the ball alone. 

I don’t think they’re anything decent either. After Cummins and hazelwood their bowling is great and their batting has similar issues to ours (obviously better overall though)

Anderson and Broad have to play. 

Our focus a while back on one day cricket clearly has impacted this test side. Probably should have been addressed earlier as these collapses are nothing new. Don’t like root and silver woods excuses either.

Stop picking <ovf censored> players who aren’t at test level and play players who actually deserve to be there. 

Couple of positives are obviously malan and roots innings on day 3 and I think wood and Robinson bowled excellently. Wouldn’t surprise me if we drop wood to get broad and Anderson back in. 

Edited by valiant_593

Advert:

8 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

The stick Boycott and "Tortoise Tavere" got for slow scoring from the press was incessant but what England would do now for those two to be in the top 3 of the order.

They will get 500 by end of 2nd days play. We will then get bowled out for less than 200 in both innings and lose by an innings. We bowled quite well today keeping it tight but didn't really threathen much for taking wickets. We also need foakes as wicketkeeper as buttler is dropping too many simple chances and not making enough runs. Just pick buttler for one day and 2020 matches.

Advert:

I watched the first ca 2 hours of play and England bowled well. Buttler took a superb catch to dismiss Harris and Broad and Anderson repeatedly beat the bat of Warner and Labuschange without getting a nick, the Aussies were more than a little fortunate to be only 1 down when I went to bed.

Both left as many deliveries as they could, Labuschange in particular,  but I had the horrible feeling they would be a lot for hardly owt this morning.

Pity Wood isn't playing as he has genuine pace and would have got some bounce on that pitch..

Great catch to get Harris from butler but those two on labuschagne were dreadful. 2nd one is as bad as you’ll see. Frustrates me so much that we have a brilliant keeper that can’t get a game. Score looks really poor but the positive is we didn’t let them get away, run rate is slow, don’t think we’re out of this one yet unless they pile the runs on tomorrow 

That first innings from Australia has pretty much sealed the Ashes. Its very unlikely that England will get anything out of this test and the most likely scenario is that we lose this test. That would be 2-0 down and we would need to win all remaining tests... Unlikely with even the best touring sides, buyt sadly this is not the best touring side.

Some of the decisions from the coaching staff and the captain have been baffling. I'm not much for Root as a captain and Chris Silverwood and his army of analysts coaches and assistants have resulted in some very muddled thinking and plans. 

1. Not picking Broad for the first test

2. Trying to get Jack Leach to tie down an end in the first innings at the Gabba

3. Attempting a short pitched bowling theory in the second test in 30C heat

4. Speding most of the day in the first day of the second test hoping Anderson can get some swing in the evening - it didnt swing - suprise

Sorry for the bleak post, but thats how I see Englands position.

• Like 1