onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

I'm not a Bess fan but he got 4 wickets for 80 from 23 overs today for England lions against Australia a and can bat abit so would have been a better option than leach. The 2 best English spinners at the moment are Rashid who won't play tests and Parkinson who for some strange reason we don't pick.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I'm not a Bess fan but he got 4 wickets for 80 from 23 overs today for England lions against Australia a and can bat abit so would have been a better option than leach. The 2 best English spinners at the moment are Rashid who won't play tests and Parkinson who for some strange reason we don't pick.

Still wouldn’t pick Bess though. Think root is a better spinner than Bess and leach. Our strength is our seamers. I’d just play an extra seamer personally. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Still wouldn’t pick Bess though. Think root is a better spinner than Bess and leach. Our strength is our seamers. I’d just play an extra seamer personally. 

Mostly agree, but we have to have someone in those hot conditions to give the seamers some rest. An all seam attack is a gamble which if the batting side can get through the new ball loes potency. We are short of credible options. 

Tomorrow could get very ugly if the weather doesn't come to our rescue. They will reightly be merciless and will fancy their chances of getting this over with before the end of day 4. 

If you only put 147 on the board in the 1st innings then chances have to be taken and England didn't take theirs, Burns put down a dolly off Warner and the missed run out was alarming to name two.

It's unfair to scapegoat only Leach, he was picked and the Aussies clearly targeted him and it came off. England haven't had a test match class spinner since Graeme Swann.

It just seems like deja vu all over again in Australia for the England team. I just hope Joe Root hasn't got other things on his mind at the moment.

The last two sessions have been much better. Great batting from Root and Malan. Still a lot to do as think a minimum of 230 will need to be set by us to have a realistic hope of winning. Regardless whether England win keep the Aussies out in the field as long as possible with a quick turnaround to Adelaide. 

Hazlewood must be struggling with an injury for the Aussies too so that’s something to keep an eye on. Didn’t bowl at all after his opening spell.

Fantastic batting from root and malan really enjoyed watching that. I though hameed looked good as well (and in the first innings) just needs to carry on and make a big score. 

If anything it’s made a bit of a game of it and at least gives us some confidence moving forwards. Hopefully the same tomorrow, make them field for most, if not all of the day, tire them out and if we can have a lead of 200 it will be interesting. 

At last England players come in to occupy the crease and prepared to build an innings, great to see Hameed and Milan in particular be prepared to leave the balls out side off stick and generally cut out the rash shots, add to that Root's quality (Although he couldn't resist playing the sweep at times off Lyons) and hey presto, a partnership of some substance.

New ball due after 10 overs tomorrow so hopefully Malan and Root will be seeing it as big as a football when it's taken and can go on and make big hundreds leaving the stage set for Stokes and Butler.  A lead of 250+ and it will be very interesting, can always hope.

Do any of our so called  batsmen know there are only 3 stumps behind them why do they play at a ball that would not hit 5 atrocious batting by so called test match batsmen.Get in the nets and start learning how to leave a ball that would not hit 5 stumps.This is not a one day international its a test series bat bloody properly or come home and work for a living you disgusted.

7 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Do any of our so called  batsmen know there are only 3 stumps behind them why do they play at a ball that would not hit 5 atrocious batting by so called test match batsmen.Get in the nets and start learning how to leave a ball that would not hit 5 stumps.This is not a one day international its a test series bat bloody properly or come home and work for a living you disgusted.

Totally agree. Are England not coached how to play a defensive shot. Oh for the return of a Boycott, Barrington, Edrich who could hold an end up. Some of the English strokes this morning were shocking.

53 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Totally agree. Are England not coached how to play a defensive shot. Oh for the return of a Boycott, Barrington, Edrich who could hold an end up. Some of the English strokes this morning were shocking.

For once I completely agree with TT. I know England have had hardly any practice time, but even so....it was awful. I'd love to hear Boycott's opinion on it, but I think I can guess,

6 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

So much for hope, tuned in just to see Harris hit Wood for 4 to end the match, ffs.

The flame flickered for a short time on day 3 only to be extinguished in a trice on day four.  Don't know why I've become so lyrical when I'm really p**sed off with such ill-disciplined batting!!

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

Chris Tavare the master , 27 not out after 267 balls faced .

I genuinely think that the 20/20 and hundred will make matters worse.  Nobody knows how to bat properly any more. 

No point these days buying a ticket for the 4th day . 

God that was poor. Worst thing for me is that the majority (If not all) 2nd innings wickets were poor shots by us rather than good bowling. 

Why do we keep playing one days shots. What is root doing trying to angle that away for a single? He tried it last ball of day 3 as well. Just leave the ball alone. 

I don’t think they’re anything decent either. After Cummins and hazelwood their bowling is great and their batting has similar issues to ours (obviously better overall though)

Anderson and Broad have to play. 

Our focus a while back on one day cricket clearly has impacted this test side. Probably should have been addressed earlier as these collapses are nothing new. Don’t like root and silver woods excuses either.

Stop picking <ovf censored> players who aren’t at test level and play players who actually deserve to be there. 

Couple of positives are obviously malan and roots innings on day 3 and I think wood and Robinson bowled excellently. Wouldn’t surprise me if we drop wood to get broad and Anderson back in. 

Archived