Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

Advert:

14 minutes ago, billybone54 said:

Quite pleased in a way with 147, went to bed at 11-3, had visions of us all out for 40 odd.

Shows how poor we are that 😂

I worry for us here, around the 30 over mark it looked very nice for batting and butler made it look extremely easy. Think if we could have got 250 we would be ok but I can see a lead of probably 150 ish for them and then us struggling again 2nd innings 

Said it numerous times but jack leach should be nowhere near international cricket. Going at what 10 an over, woeful, thought we bowled well other than him, especially Robinson and wood with not much reward. Got no chance though when you spinner is going for 2 boundaries an over!!! 

Advert:

19 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Said it numerous times but jack leach should be nowhere near international cricket. Going at what 10 an over, woeful, thought we bowled well other than him, especially Robinson and wood with not much reward. Got no chance though when you spinner is going for 2 boundaries an over!!! 

@valiant_593 we keep agreeing on England cricket! I have to agree with you again. Neither is Bess for that matter.

I dislike Nathan Lyon as a person but the difference in class is huge. Lyon's nine overs went 0-21, Leach's first nine went 1-70.

4 minutes ago, robf said:

@valiant_593 we keep agreeing on England cricket! I have to agree with you again. Neither is Bess for that matter.

I dislike Nathan Lyon as a person but the difference in class is huge. Lyon's nine overs went 0-21, Leach's first nine went 1-70.

Yep huge difference. Just makes our team selection even more baffling. Great seamers wicket and we pick leach. Broad / anderson would have been perfect for that wicket. Agree, Bess isn’t good enough either. I would have been tempted stick Livingstone in there, he’s a better spinner and can bat

35 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Yep huge difference. Just makes our team selection even more baffling. Great seamers wicket and we pick leach. Broad / anderson would have been perfect for that wicket. Agree, Bess isn’t good enough either. I would have been tempted stick Livingstone in there, he’s a better spinner and can bat

Agreed again. I'm amazed Livingstone isn't in the middle order for his batting alone. I think he's the type who won't be cowed by the Aussies and his FC ave is better than many of those in there. It's weird, just because he's good at one day he seems to be forgotten for the longer form, but it is possible to be good at Test AND limited over cricket. And yes, his spin, alongside that of Root, would be an advantage too. 

Same with Broad/Anderson - their obvious qualities aside, again they are characters who won't be cowed and would have come out swinging. 

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 07:16, darren1810 said:

Can't see anything but a 5-0 hiding. Our batting is so brittle. Regularly collapse from 128-1 to 165-6 , happening far too often. Nobody seems to be able to occupy the crease any more.  

Glen Mcgrath prepare yourself to be correct again with your prediction unless the weather intervenes .

As I was saying  .

Simply dreadful performance from the majority.  Obviously some exceptions.

The 3rd quickest Ashes century to rub further salt into the wounds.

Catastrophic.  

45 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

As I was saying  .

Simply dreadful performance from the majority.  Obviously some exceptions.

The 3rd quickest Ashes century to rub further salt into the wounds.

Catastrophic.  

To a player who was dreadful recently for Sussex in England. 

• Like 1

Advert:

I`ve just seen the no ball that Stokes bowled to Warner that bowled him but got called afterwards when checked. Mohammed Amir went to jail for less. Apparently the system was broken and only wickets were checked, only one no ball out of 14 was called by the onfield umpire which suggests he should be sacked. 

One of my pet hates in cricket is how the players train in the nets. Majority of times bowlers just bowl and don’t focus on being behind the line. When I’ve faced / been with over seas players they just bowl literally where they want sometimes a few foot over the line. They don’t see it as important. 

Then you see all of these potential no balls and that one in particular by stokes where he is way over, surely they should train with their proper run up and bowl consistently behind the line 

I'm not a Bess fan but he got 4 wickets for 80 from 23 overs today for England lions against Australia a and can bat abit so would have been a better option than leach. The 2 best English spinners at the moment are Rashid who won't play tests and Parkinson who for some strange reason we don't pick.

9 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I'm not a Bess fan but he got 4 wickets for 80 from 23 overs today for England lions against Australia a and can bat abit so would have been a better option than leach. The 2 best English spinners at the moment are Rashid who won't play tests and Parkinson who for some strange reason we don't pick.

Still wouldn’t pick Bess though. Think root is a better spinner than Bess and leach. Our strength is our seamers. I’d just play an extra seamer personally. 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Still wouldn’t pick Bess though. Think root is a better spinner than Bess and leach. Our strength is our seamers. I’d just play an extra seamer personally. 

Mostly agree, but we have to have someone in those hot conditions to give the seamers some rest. An all seam attack is a gamble which if the batting side can get through the new ball loes potency. We are short of credible options. 

Tomorrow could get very ugly if the weather doesn't come to our rescue. They will reightly be merciless and will fancy their chances of getting this over with before the end of day 4. 

Advert:

If you only put 147 on the board in the 1st innings then chances have to be taken and England didn't take theirs, Burns put down a dolly off Warner and the missed run out was alarming to name two.

It's unfair to scapegoat only Leach, he was picked and the Aussies clearly targeted him and it came off. England haven't had a test match class spinner since Graeme Swann.

It just seems like deja vu all over again in Australia for the England team. I just hope Joe Root hasn't got other things on his mind at the moment.

The last two sessions have been much better. Great batting from Root and Malan. Still a lot to do as think a minimum of 230 will need to be set by us to have a realistic hope of winning. Regardless whether England win keep the Aussies out in the field as long as possible with a quick turnaround to Adelaide. 

Hazlewood must be struggling with an injury for the Aussies too so that’s something to keep an eye on. Didn’t bowl at all after his opening spell.

Fantastic batting from root and malan really enjoyed watching that. I though hameed looked good as well (and in the first innings) just needs to carry on and make a big score. 

If anything it’s made a bit of a game of it and at least gives us some confidence moving forwards. Hopefully the same tomorrow, make them field for most, if not all of the day, tire them out and if we can have a lead of 200 it will be interesting.