onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

Advert

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Surely we’ll see Bairstow with the gloves in the next game. 

I would imagine assuming his thumb is ok that may well happen. See that we’ve drafted in Sam Billings as a backup keeper so suspect Buttler will be making way regardless. He can’t say he hasn’t had every opportunity and it’d be more difficult if say just one of his keeping or batting was really clicking but it just hasn’t. 

Hopefully they can add a few more tomorrow to get that deficit as close to 100 as possible. Don’t think the forecast in Sydney is too great for the rest of match so could possibly escape with a draw.

58 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

Hameed is a walking wicket and Buttler is no test batsman.

Yep, sadly I agree on Hameed. He got his form back in the county game but to me it looks like he's not up to International level. He's regressed so much it's almost painful to keep persisting with him. For what it's worth I'm not sure Burns is also the required standard and I'm not sure Crawley is an opener, so that leaves us back to the drawing board in terms of openers.

I agree about Buttler. He's on 90-odd Tests now and just isn't the answer. 

Well batted from bairstow today and I'd certainly put him as wicketkeeper instead of butler. I'm not a massive bairstow fan but I've got give him credit today first Englishmen score a 100 in this series. Burns is going have to come back into the side in place of hameed. I'm wondering if malan could open the batting and then put Crawley or Lawrence batting at 3. I'm surprised Lawrence hasn't been given a chance in this series given how poor our batting has been.

Great to see some fight back by Bairstow, Stokes and Wood even if the ball was a little old when the first two were batting, things went our way for a change.

Has anyone ever seen the bails not come off when hit with force by the ball in any form of cricket. 

48 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Great to see some fight back by Bairstow, Stokes and Wood even if the ball was a little old when the first two were batting, things went our way for a change.

Has anyone ever seen the bails not come off when hit with force by the ball in any form of cricket. 

That was astonishing.  Labuschagne seemed to be asking Stokes why on earth he was reviewing it!!

19 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That was astonishing.  Labuschagne seemed to be asking Stokes why on earth he was reviewing it!!

Yes it/he was and Reiffel gave it out but I think he may have thought it hit his pad. Stokes appeared to motion and say to Labus., "Look at the wickets"

The explanation by the commentators was also intriguing in that they said someone had said the day before the wickets were too loose and they stuck mud in the holes to stiffen them up!!!   Even so it was incredible the bail stayed on as the ball hit the stump with some force.

Good game of cricket that. We were outplayed but did just enough to hang on in there. Shame we couldn’t put up the same fight in the previous 3 games. 

There will be lots of changes for the final game. They said on BT that Buttler, Bairstow and Stokes are all out of the next game. Hameed will be dropped and they mentioned Robinson coming back into the side. 

Crawley needs to keep performing like that. If he can get through the new ball he will score runs, some outstanding shots and deserved a century I thought. Leech looked a more accomplished batsman than Hameed though 

1 hour ago, Phil1965 said:

I think we should just go for it in the final test and pick people who can score quickly.

That's not necessarily the correct tactics--scoring quickly isn't the number 1 priority--it's a 5-day Test Match, not a T-20 or ODI!  One of the biggest problems we still have in Tests is the lack of ability of some of our batsmen to build an innings.  Bowling regulations & fielding positions are a totally different kettle of fish for Tests as opposed to the short format games!

12-3 and then we let em off, costly dropped catch off the bat of Labuschagne.

Everything the Aussies have done in this Series has worked remarkable well, Boland comes in and takes 6-7, Khawaja comes in and gets two centuries in the same game, Head comes back in and with Australia at 12-3 scores a ton on a green top.

Archived