onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

Advert

On 05/01/2022 at 08:24, bycars rob said:

I`m surprised to see Moeen  Ali sitting comfortably on the BT sport sofa summarising on the latest test. i thought he didn`t like the longer form of cricket.

I hope he doesn`t leave a yellow streak on that sofa.

His comments to cook today were way out of order 

6 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

400+ again and the bowlers have done well? 

All I see is again pressure on the batsmen to bat for a draw. Expect another collapse.

Yes bowled well. Broad and wood especially. As I put above, once the first 3 bowlers are out of the attack it’s easy for them. It’s a road out there and if we could bad I’d expect us to make a similar today. 

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Yes bowled well. Broad and wood especially. As I put above, once the first 3 bowlers are out of the attack it’s easy for them. It’s a road out there and if we could bad I’d expect us to make a similar today. 

Even if we could bat, we are once again in a position where we are batting under pressure. I expect lots of men around the bat and the chances that will come will go to hand. I hope it isnt going to be another abject failure, but it probably will... I am rather pleased I decided (at the last moment) against stumping up for 2 months of BT sport.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I watched Wood bowling to Kawahja and Carey and both were in survival mode, how Wood didn't claim both their wickets was down to pure luck on their part. Unfortunately Leach was bowling at the other end and they just picked him off as and when. kawahja looked in control facing everybody except Wood.

I fear for England tomorrow as there's something in this pitch for the bowlers.

6 hours ago, robf said:

I'm not sure. I don't pay too much attention to what the commentators say to be honest - they are often there to fill in the silence.

It would be good to have the choice of the three fast men but I wouldn't think they'd all play in the same team.

As much as I'm fed up with England picking three right handed fast-medium bowlers I think the same could happen with three fast men and the lack of variation could hamper rather than help us.

For me it's about variety -The Aussies have variety in that Starc is a leftie, Hazelwood is more of a line and length man and Lyon's always there as a spin option.

For me, I'd be happy with a combination of different threats - different pace, right/left combinations.

The other problem I would worry about with Stone, Archer and Wood all playing is a) what if any/all of them break down b) that's a LONG tail and c) how on earth would you keep to the over rate. You'd end up being docked points if you aren't careful. 

5 hours ago, robf said:

Rob, Not being facetious but when it's Shane Warne, other ex-Aussie test players and Michael Vaughn talking about cricket I listen 'cause it's fascinating to get their take.

I saw the "Broad article" on the BBC website this morning and my reaction was that you bowl them out for a similar score or less and you're still well and truly in the game.

For me in club cricket batsmen generally win matches but when it comes to test cricket it's the bowlers who usually win the games, particularly fast bowlers on the hard and fast, bouncy pitches in Australia.

The Ashes in Australia are famous for fast bowlers who have dominated a series from Larwood and Voce to Jon Snow to Lille and Thomson to Mitchell Clarke to Starc et al now. 

The English batsmen playing in Australia are all good county players, possibly the issue is in County Cricket they don't face many very pacey bowlers with the bounce as they face in test cricket in Australia and it's virtually incessant, add to that if the pitch/ball is doing a bit it's difficult to cope with.

I always wondered how the great West Indian batsmen, Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Greenidge etc would would have done facing up to the likes of Curtly, Michael Holding, Michael Walsh, Andy Roberts etc, it would have been  some contest.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

I watched Wood bowling to Kawahja and Carey and both were in survival mode, how Wood didn't claim both their wickets was down to pure luck on their part. Unfortunately Leach was bowling at the other end and they just picked him off as and when. kawahja looked in control facing everybody except Wood.

I fear for England tomorrow as there's something in this pitch for the bowlers.

Agreed, that’s the issue, I think we will do slightly better than previous as it looks a great track, 250 all out? As everyone knows it all rests on Root and maybe Malan. 

Wood has bowled great all serious but seems a really unlucky bowler 

48 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

What did he say ?

Was asked a question about Root as captain (sat next to cook). 

Went on to basically say that Root is a better captain, more personable and spoke to the players more than Cook. Said his batting was better under Cook but bowling better under Root. Cook said hang on a minute I never stopped you unlike Root, Moeen then said yeah but you never batted me in the same spot. (Cook burned him on this - said he couldn’t tell if he was an opener or tailender!) Had a few digs at Cook who wasn’t happy! 

Sent from my iPhone

Hameed is making tail Enders looking decent. Shocking dismissal and 5 single figure scores in a row, oh and was dropped on 2 as well!! Not a fan of Burns but he’s better than that. 

Could Crawley be given a chance at 6? Looks a good player but struggles with the new ball, think he could be quite decent lower down the order with less pressure 

Obviously far too little too late but good to see some fight with the bat in the last two sessions. I think just going forward the way Bairstow, Stokes and to a lesser degree Wood have batted should just be the approach England take now. We don’t have batters who can dig in for long periods of time so just go out there and treat it like a white ball game. It won’t always work but it’s better than what we have been doing.

3 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

Obviously far too little too late but good to see some fight with the bat in the last two sessions. I think just going forward the way Bairstow, Stokes and to a lesser degree Wood have batted should just be the approach England take now. We don’t have batters who can dig in for long periods of time so just go out there and treat it like a white ball game. It won’t always work but it’s better than what we have been doing.

Surely we’ll see Bairstow with the gloves in the next game. 

3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Surely we’ll see Bairstow with the gloves in the next game. 

Seems a logical move to me considering that Buttler's keeping hasn't exactly been top=notch and apart from his one long innings in the third Test, he cannot buy a run with his batting.  That would leave room to give Ollie Pope another go in the middle order.

Archived