onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

It's really bad this tour but the sad reality is it's a common theme when the England cricket team are in Australia for an Ashes series.

It isn't just Australia,they just can't hack it away from home.

In their last 29 games away to India,Australia and New Zealand they've managed to win one and lose 21.

Advert

68 all out is embarrassing but unsurprising. What's worse is that with two full innings they couldn't make 267. England's test batting seems to crumble under the merest pressure.

The only way this won't be 5-0 is if the Aussies start to blood new players. And even then I'm not very hopeful.

1 hour ago, VantaaVale said:

68 all out is embarrassing but unsurprising. What's worse is that with two full innings they couldn't make 267. England's test batting seems to crumble under the merest pressure.

The only way this won't be 5-0 is if the Aussies start to blood new players. And even then I'm not very hopeful.

I've heard the Aussies are promoting 3 day Ashes test matches after recent results?

3 hours ago, VantaaVale said:

They 'blooded' Boland in the last Test and he only took 6wkts for 7 runs in the second innings--good job they didn't have first choices like Hazelwood available!!!!!

What is it with English fast bowlers and their fitness. What's happened to Jofra Archer and Olly Stone, also Mark Wood was supposedly not fit for the 2nd test. A bowling attack containing Archer, Stone ,Wood and Anderson or Robinson would have  posed a real threat and then perhaps our brittle batsmen may even have stirred themselves for a fight......but then again.

The poor standard of the England cricket team is partly explained by systemic issues. Firstly racism which is institutionalised in English cricket and means Asians and Black ethnic groups are significantly under represented. Secondly elitism which also tends to inhibit potential players from poorer backgrounds. Thirdly the structure of the game where county cricket is fitted in at the start and end of the season to facilitate the one day and 20 20 diary and means batsman are not practicing in the best conditions of the season. 

Fundamental root and branch change needed or stop playing county and test cricket!

On 29/12/2021 at 18:39, Paul6754 said:

What is it with English fast bowlers and their fitness. What's happened to Jofra Archer and Olly Stone, also Mark Wood was supposedly not fit for the 2nd test. A bowling attack containing Archer, Stone ,Wood and Anderson or Robinson would have  posed a real threat and then perhaps our brittle batsmen may even have stirred themselves for a fight......but then again.

I think that's the risk you take when your tactic is to rely on fast bowlers. It happened to the Aussies a few series back when Cummins, Patterson and Starc (I think) were all crocked and their media was asking how they were being managed. 

Sadly, even if England had all three available I still think it wouldn't have addressed the fundamental problems - poor batting, poor team selection and poor captaincy. 

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think that's the risk you take when your tactic is to rely on fast bowlers. It happened to the Aussies a few series back when Cummins, Patterson and Starc (I think) were all crocked and their media was asking how they were being managed. 

Sadly, even if England had all three available I still think it wouldn't have addressed the fundamental problems - poor batting, poor team selection and poor captaincy. 

Agree with all of that and especially the last sentence. Joe Root is not a good captain -I feel better for saying that -. Great batsman but not a good captain.. How many times does he run out of ideas and put all of the fielders on the fence? Once again, last night, on the first day of the test he brings on poor Jack Leach and puts most of the fielders back. What message does that send to the bowler, to the opposition batsman and to the team bosses? Jack Leach has been so badly managed by the England team. Squad selection is part of the captains role. I have no idea what Root must say to Jack Leach about what he wants him to do for the team.

Good day for England though thanks largely to the weather. Australia batting first will have to get a move on tomorrow to make sure they are in a good position to get a result in this one.

19 hours ago, robf said:

Rob, Have to agree to disagree. If you have three or even two bowlers bowling at ca 145 km/hr from an end at the same time the batsmen don't get a breather and start to play at balls they wouldn't normally play at, play rash shots and are just forced out of their normal rhythm hence they make mistakes. The Aussie commentators were effectively saying the same things during tonight's commentary.

Granted the English batting hasn't been good but the series would have been much closer if England would have had Archer, Wood and Stone in the team to pick from.

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Rob, Have to agree to disagree. If you have three or even two bowlers bowling at ca 145 km/hr from an end at the same time the batsmen don't get a breather and start to play at balls they wouldn't normally play at, play rash shots and are just forced out of their normal rhythm hence they make mistakes. The Aussie commentators were effectively saying the same things during tonight's commentary.

Granted the English batting hasn't been good but the series would have been much closer if England would have had Archer, Wood and Stone in the team to pick from.

I'm not sure. I don't pay too much attention to what the commentators say to be honest - they are often there to fill in the silence.

It would be good to have the choice of the three fast men but I wouldn't think they'd all play in the same team.

As much as I'm fed up with England picking three right handed fast-medium bowlers I think the same could happen with three fast men and the lack of variation could hamper rather than help us.

For me it's about variety -The Aussies have variety in that Starc is a leftie, Hazelwood is more of a line and length man and Lyon's always there as a spin option.

For me, I'd be happy with a combination of different threats - different pace, right/left combinations.

The other problem I would worry about with Stone, Archer and Wood all playing is a) what if any/all of them break down b) that's a LONG tail and c) how on earth would you keep to the over rate. You'd end up being docked points if you aren't careful. 

All about the batsman and fielding for me. Bowlers have done very well, if we had a decent spinner and stokes bowling anywhere close to his best it would have made our main bowlers more dangerous. That’s the difference imo between the bowling sides. Anderson / Broad / wood come off and there is a huge drop off, with the Ausies, Starc comes off and then Lyon comes on ect. 

Batting is 100% the issue though, batters have also put pressure on our bowlers and not allowed them time to rest between innings. 

Personally I’m happy for us to go into every test with broad Anderson and wood. It’s then that 4th seamer and the spinning option that needs to be improved. 

I'd agree with that. You do potentially get a long tail with Broad, Anderson, Wood and a spinner but frankly if the batsmen do their job that shouldn't matter as you shouldn't be relying on 7-11 to bail you out.

The difference between the spinners is simply immense - Lyon, 12 wickets at 21.75 with an economy of 2.10 / Leach 2 wickets at 118.5 with an economy of 4.55

Archived