onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - the Ashes 2021

robf

Advert

8 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

Totally agree. Are England not coached how to play a defensive shot. Oh for the return of a Boycott, Barrington, Edrich who could hold an end up. Some of the English strokes this morning were shocking.

The stick Boycott and "Tortoise Tavere" got for slow scoring from the press was incessant but what England would do now for those two to be in the top 3 of the order.

They will get 500 by end of 2nd days play. We will then get bowled out for less than 200 in both innings and lose by an innings. We bowled quite well today keeping it tight but didn't really threathen much for taking wickets. We also need foakes as wicketkeeper as buttler is dropping too many simple chances and not making enough runs. Just pick buttler for one day and 2020 matches.

I watched the first ca 2 hours of play and England bowled well. Buttler took a superb catch to dismiss Harris and Broad and Anderson repeatedly beat the bat of Warner and Labuschange without getting a nick, the Aussies were more than a little fortunate to be only 1 down when I went to bed.

Both left as many deliveries as they could, Labuschange in particular,  but I had the horrible feeling they would be a lot for hardly owt this morning.

Pity Wood isn't playing as he has genuine pace and would have got some bounce on that pitch..

Great catch to get Harris from butler but those two on labuschagne were dreadful. 2nd one is as bad as you’ll see. Frustrates me so much that we have a brilliant keeper that can’t get a game. Score looks really poor but the positive is we didn’t let them get away, run rate is slow, don’t think we’re out of this one yet unless they pile the runs on tomorrow 

That first innings from Australia has pretty much sealed the Ashes. Its very unlikely that England will get anything out of this test and the most likely scenario is that we lose this test. That would be 2-0 down and we would need to win all remaining tests... Unlikely with even the best touring sides, buyt sadly this is not the best touring side.

Some of the decisions from the coaching staff and the captain have been baffling. I'm not much for Root as a captain and Chris Silverwood and his army of analysts coaches and assistants have resulted in some very muddled thinking and plans. 

1. Not picking Broad for the first test

2. Trying to get Jack Leach to tie down an end in the first innings at the Gabba

3. Attempting a short pitched bowling theory in the second test in 30C heat

4. Speding most of the day in the first day of the second test hoping Anderson can get some swing in the evening - it didnt swing - suprise

Sorry for the bleak post, but thats how I see Englands position.

Pretty hopeless that from England, no surprise with how Identical our attack is. 

Why has wood been rested? I know he has injury problems but this is the Ashes. What are we resting him for? So he can play test 4 and 5 when we’re 3/0 down? Same as broad and Anderson why were they not selected? Resting players for the biggest series is a joke. 

I like Woakes, he’s a great player but always struggles to take wickets abroad, he’s blatantly playing here because of his batting. 

Buttler was appalling, no fight, no energy and really poor keeping. Just hope we can show a bit of something with bat. 

Our batting line up is a joke. Root is the only decent one. They put all the England batsman averages for 2021 on screen the other day and they were all averaging in the 20s apart from Crawley who averaged 11 and root in the 60s. Basically the whole batting line up needs changing really as if you can't average 40 or more then your no good to the team. Buttler, bairstow, Pope, Burns ect have now all played enough test games now to be given a fair chance of it and none of them are getting big scores. Pope had a good start to his test career but in the last 2 years hasn't done much.

21 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Can we just concede the series 5-0 and be done with it. So many players not remotely close to test level. 

I completely agree. I think we need to get back and get a long-term plan in place. The whole game needs sorting out, root and branch. Sort out youngsters' pathways into the game, sort out a coaching network, look at how the county game could develop Test quality players, especially spinners. Work out a balance and a schedule so that long-form and short-form games can take place but don't interfere with each other. Take a long-term approach to things like the captaincy, the selectors. Just go away and start with a blank canvas and come up with a long-term plan to be competitive in say 5-6 years time.

Will it happen? Not a chance!

8 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Pope had a good start to his test career but in the last 2 years hasn't done much.

I really like Pope as he has all the skills to be another Ian Bell. However, he's having chance after chance after chance without taking them. There's only so long you can persist with potential before they become a Hick or a Ramprakash.

After thinking he could be the next England star, I really fear he may never make it now. 

Sadly we simply aren't as good as the top 3(in test cricket) at the moment at least consistently and certainly away from home.  We can compete in our own conditions where we have a good bowling attack but New Zealand, India and Australia have a better side than us for the longer format at least. And in their own back yards we simply don't have a prayer unless they have an off match

What's the answer I'm not sure, Root is our only consistently world class player, Stokes has great natural talent but is hit and miss(hopefully he'll come good again after his absence soon) and I think Buttler tries hard to make it work as a test player(when his natural game isn't that) and likewise Malan but otherwise batting wise it's average at best when faced with a decent bowling attack. 

Archived