Match Thread: FLT R2 Rotherham United v Port Vale

Fosse69

On 30/11/2021 at 21:16, Doha said:

It would have been very easy for Rodney to sky that pen. Possibly nervous after a dodgy start to the season, keeper spoke to him to psych him out, ended up cooly rolling in a great pen right into the corner. I know it's just a penalty in the tinpot cup but I'm hoping that calm composed finish under a little bit of pressure will be a useful confidence boost for him. 

To be honest I thought he was almost a certainty to miss it. Not because of some sort of agenda against him, but simply because he's clearly playing with zero confidence and belief in himself currently and he surely would have been doubting himself a little as he walked up. But he put it away well and things will turn for him eventually. Obviously for us, the sooner the better. He'll now get plenty of game time which will help his cause.

Edited by Beech

18 hours ago, robf said:

I personally would agree with that as having Cass and Jones in there allows the defence to create so much whether that's a run from Cass or a long-ball/throw from Jones.

DC is happy to throw a big guy on in the last 15/20 mins to help secure a win and I would see Legge being used in more of that sort of role.

However, I guess it's a positive that with the squad depth at the back, this debate can be had and there are plenty of options if there are injuries, suspensions or loss of form. 

As for Nathan Smith, I can't believe there's a player ratings further up in this thread that gives Scott Burgess an 8 for 30 mins of action and gives Smith a 6! For me, Smith was as solid and committed as ever on Tuesday and even had a surging forward run. With a bit of luck he may even have been on the scoresheet. Legge caught the eye at the back but I still think Smith had a good game too.

Smith would have had a 8 but its his man who scored so lose a point for that that goal for them came from a corner for us Johnson Jones and Smith were running back but were caught out the pass between Jones and Johnson should have being cut out .

Also I feel a lot of there goal attempts were in a area of the pitch where Smith was supposed be so I think a 6 is about right his positivity on the ball second half in a attacking sense was good but defensively the fact Rotherham could have scored probably 4 after Legge left the pitch disappointed me somewhat as our attacking play was great but we still managed give the opposition decent chances more from our bad play than there good play .

UTV 

3 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Smith would have had a 8 but its his man who scored so lose a point for that that goal for them came from a corner for us Johnson Jones and Smith were running back but were caught out the pass between Jones and Johnson should have being cut out .

Also I feel a lot of there goal attempts were in a area of the pitch where Smith was supposed be so I think a 6 is about right his positivity on the ball second half in a attacking sense was good but defensively the fact Rotherham could have scored probably 4 after Legge left the pitch disappointed me somewhat as our attacking play was great but we still managed give the opposition decent chances more from our bad play than there good play .

UTV 

Harsh on Smith, flattering on Legge, very flattering on Burgess.

By this reasoning does Burgess get a point knocked off for putting his "matchwinning" shot over the bar near the end? So he should really have got a 9? 🙄🙄🙄

Edited by EricHamesis
  • Like 1

Breadwinner is not Smithy's #1 fan. Thought he (Smithy) had a decent game as usual myself. As did everyone really.  Player ratings look a bit mean. We got edged out by the L1 leaders. Only the result upset me, not the performance,

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2