onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FLT R2 Rotherham United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Cass Legge Smith have to be the CBs now surely.
We have great cover in that department, but there's a clear top 3 for me.
Think that's very harsh on Jones. Yes, his forms dipped over the last couple of games, but you don't lose the quality he has. He was a clear contender for signing of the season, and will still be if he gets out of this funk that he's in. Smith Cass and Jones for me more often than not

Advert

16 minutes ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, points-with-bone said:
'10 pounds well spent'
Couldn't agree more; it was pleasurable to watch. Good, competitive football from both teams, great saves by both keepers, no shenanigans, excellent goal from Rotherham and great 'never say die' response from the Vale
They're unbeaten in 17 games and top of League One and they were matched
Bodes well for next season, if the Vale can get out of League Two
Points-with-Bone

Couldn't agree more. However, as Vale fans, it's ingrained in us to find summat to moan about. With that in mind, did anybody else have the home commentary? The main guy was fine, but the secondary commentator (the Geordie) sounded like a 17 year old pre-pubescent fan sitting in the stands screaming blue murder at every decision. I lost count of the number of times he screamed in a little girls pitch 'foul, it's a foul!' at every contact by a Vale player. Sounded like he was going to break into tears at one point

Strangely enough I did have the home commentary on, as I just can't abide the Vale commentator's attempt at humour. There's only so much cringing you can do until your facial features fall off. And yeh, the main Rotherham commentator was good, he knew the Vale players and gave praise where due, read the game well and was informative. But his side-kick was so bad he was hilarious. Every now and then he'd scream out 'penalty!' or 'yellow card!' when no players of either team or the officials were in the least bit concerned at whatever had occurred. I did like how the main dude would try to calm him down or try to get him to consider that he might be a tad biased

Overall though The Vale got the praise they deserved

Points-with-Bone

9 hours ago, toyahw said:

Luck is a thing. Remember DC came slagging off JA  over injuriies.  Half our players are crocked.

I don’t remember him slagging him off for the injuries.

He suggested that the vale were not managing injury potential professionally enough with Medicals not being up to scratch, data not being analysed and training not being appropriate for muscle injuries.

A broken foot, A hernia, infected ankle… those things can’t be legislated for.

The others I’m not sure what’s wrong, Taylor has a thigh strain but no process in the world guarantees zero injury.

I don’t think anyone can suggest we are not better set up now.

He did say he wasn’t impressed with the fact that the squad had 152849362639 number 8 midfielders and no depth in other positions. Thank goodness he fixed that and we have been able to build a strong squad.

UTV

17 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Think that's very harsh on Jones. Yes, his forms dipped over the last couple of games, but you don't lose the quality he has. He was a clear contender for signing of the season, and will still be if he gets out of this funk that he's in. Smith Cass and Jones for me more often than not

I personally would agree with that as having Cass and Jones in there allows the defence to create so much whether that's a run from Cass or a long-ball/throw from Jones.

DC is happy to throw a big guy on in the last 15/20 mins to help secure a win and I would see Legge being used in more of that sort of role.

However, I guess it's a positive that with the squad depth at the back, this debate can be had and there are plenty of options if there are injuries, suspensions or loss of form. 

As for Nathan Smith, I can't believe there's a player ratings further up in this thread that gives Scott Burgess an 8 for 30 mins of action and gives Smith a 6! For me, Smith was as solid and committed as ever on Tuesday and even had a surging forward run. With a bit of luck he may even have been on the scoresheet. Legge caught the eye at the back but I still think Smith had a good game too.

32 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I don’t remember him slagging him off for the injuries.

He suggested that the vale were not managing injury potential professionally enough with Medicals not being up to scratch, data not being analysed and training not being appropriate for muscle injuries.

So he was moaning about the injury record under JA then. 

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

So he was moaning about the injury record under JA then. 

I could be totally wrong, but I’m sure it was more to do with the fact that there was no real medical records of the players, no medicals before signing, no fitness plan over the lockdown and p*as poor training sessions everyday. This in turn, resulted in whole host of muscular injuries which could have been prevented. 

As was mentioned, you can’t prevent a broken toe, hernia problem, ankle infection, contact injures (which we’ve had plenty of), etc. 

You can’t prevent every injury, but you can help to decrease the numbers by even the small details. 

Just be grateful that we have a proper medical team and good squad depth. 

52 minutes ago, points-with-bone said:

Strangely enough I did have the home commentary on, as I just can't abide the Vale commentator's attempt at humour. There's only so much cringing you can do until your facial features fall off. And yeh, the main Rotherham commentator was good, he knew the Vale players and gave praise where due, read the game well and was informative. But his side-kick was so bad he was hilarious. Every now and then he'd scream out 'penalty!' or 'yellow card!' when no players of either team or the officials were in the least bit concerned at whatever had occurred. I did like how the main dude would try to calm him down or try to get him to consider that he might be a tad biased

Overall though The Vale got the praise they deserved

Points-with-Bone

Didn't watch or listen as in the middle of a house move. However did catch 10 minutes whilst picking my son up from the train station.  Radio Stoke were discussing The two Ronnie's and John Cleese during the commentary.  Each to their own I guess.  

14 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

I could be totally wrong, but I’m sure it was more to do with the fact that there was no real medical records of the players, no medicals before signing, no fitness plan over the lockdown and p*as poor training sessions everyday. This in turn, resulted in whole host of muscular injuries which could have been prevented. 

As was mentioned, you can’t prevent a broken toe, hernia problem, ankle infection, contact injures (which we’ve had plenty of), etc. 

You can’t prevent every injury, but you can help to decrease the numbers by even the small details. 

Just be grateful that we have a proper medical team and good squad depth. 

If that’s the truth that’s totally different from what’s been quoted above 

Another typical example of vale fans twisting stories to suit negativity 

I just hope the fanbase is rational enough to accept the slog that the next 5-6 games may bring.

People's heads fell off after a defeat to Walsall. There's a reasonable chance that this gets quite heavy here. We don't have any senior strikers, and not even any youth strikers to lob in. We have a winger, a winger/forward with 1 goal since April, and a winger who picked up a groin strain.

There's every chance we hit a real rut here. At things stand I'd happily take being 7th on December 31st. 

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I just hope the fanbase is rational enough to accept the slog that the next 5-6 games may bring.

People's heads fell off after a defeat to Walsall. There's a reasonable chance that this gets quite heavy here. We don't have any senior strikers, and not even any youth strikers to lob in. We have a winger, a winger/forward with 1 goal since April, and a winger who picked up a groin strain.

There's every chance we hit a real rut here. At things stand I'd happily take being 7th on December 31st. 

It will be interesting but maybe not as doom as it seems, we still have the quality available in all other area's to create plenty of chances for the players up there and have been scoring across the pitch, we may not be as clinical but if we can get the performance levels to creating the chances we did when we were hitting 3 or 4 goals a game and hopefully we can still score enough goals to keep points well ticking over.

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Totally agree… dogs of war until Jan and hope we are still within touching distance.

The team needs the fans now more than ever… will they get behind them and give them to support they need? 

Some won’t… some will use it as a way to undermine everything and drive negativity. Silly people.

13 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

At the end of the day we drew 1-1 with a very strong league 1 side away from home. That’s a decent showing from us 

We were second best in the first half, but really came into the game in the second which also coincided I believe with them brining some of their better players on. Overall we gave as good as we got in a game we would have definitely lost by 3 or 4 in the past once we had made changes, obviously some of them forced. They know they were in a game and clearly they're no mugs if they are top of League One and unbeaten in 17. Need to put in the same effort and performance on Saturday now against what will be a lesser side.

Archived