Match Thread: Port Vale v Hartlepool United

Fosse69

We have a good second division squad and if they are all playing at 7/10 we will win most games, however if they are at 5/10 we are going to be in trouble. I really hope and pray for a response running chasing down and generally up for it. I hope the last few results are a kick up the butt we need to push on.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maybe true. Will watch a bit more closely tomorrow.

My initial theory is that games get a bit more 'hectic' in the last twenty, with teams going more direct and with more mistakes made, so a player like Pett, who thrives in controlled possession, is bypassed slightly. He works brilliantly where we are patient and look for openings via the wingbacks.

Exactly. You have put it more succinctly than me!

35 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Just remembered these hate Covolan. He simply must be backed as the club legend he is.

Joe.......not quite sure why you already consider Covolan to be a "club legend" at this moment in his career. . I agree that he may well become one in time... performances and length of career at Vale will surely determine this. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

Joe.......not quite sure why you already consider Covolan to be a "club legend" at this moment in his career. . I agree that he may well become one in time... performances and length of career at Vale will surely determine this. 

I think Joe is saying Legend in the 'he's a bit of a ledge' sense, rather than the 'he's our all time best keeper' sense. I am certain that the first Brazilian goalkeeper that we have ever had, who is an expert in the dark arts of football (in the best possible way) will be long remembered by the Vale faithful. Cult hero for me already. We need to back our own against fans who come to get on their backs (Hartlepool fans HATE him.)

Lets back the team in full force tomorrow and hope we can get back to winning ways!

14 minutes ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

He's second only to Sproson in my view, and another 1-2 clean sheets/faux pulled hamstring should push him over the top.

1 - Sproson

2 - Covolan 

3 - Rudge

4 - John McCombe

Will not be debating this. The facts are very clear on the matter.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

That's correct. He may be a "character" but he's only been with us for 5 minutes so a bit early IMO to be granting that "Icon" status at this stage of his career with us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

That's correct. He may be a "character" but he's only been with us for 5 minutes so a bit early IMO to be granting that "Icon" status at this stage of his career with us.

He's an undisputed legend, and probably in the top 5 players we've ever had. Icon does him a disservice, he's way beyond that.

Edited by Joe B

49 minutes ago, Seamus O'Wye said:

..I'd better have a few pints of what you're on then, Joe.

I go back to the very late 50's and I could certainly think of, and have seen,  many more Vale players who would be higher ranked than Lucas.  Different eras = different opinions I guess.

I go back to the 1890s and I think he's right up there. The facts are clear.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

He's second only to Sproson in my view, and another 1-2 clean sheets/faux pulled hamstring should push him over the top.

1 - Sproson

2 - Covolan 

3 - Rudge

4 - John McCombe

Will not be debating this. The facts are very clear on the matter.

Absolutely disgusting Andreas Lipa isn't on that list. 

• Haha 1