Jump to content

Match Thread: Port Vale v Hartlepool United


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Proctor made the fateful mistake of breathing on the keeper. No longer allowed in modern football. 

Keepers are virtually guaranteed free kicks in such an instance. Very infuriating. 

I always thought that when you venture out of the 6 yard box that you are fair game.  As you say maybe just modern football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, AlienTitWrench said:

My Team for Sat

 

Covolan

 

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Benning

 

 

Taylor

Walker

Pett

 

Worral

Rodney

Amoo

 

4 3 3 Formation

That's a very lightweight looking midfield. If Cass isn't in defence, how about playing him him as DM, as he was after Conlon got sent off? Yeah, too inexperienced, too soon in his career etc., but can run all day, whereas Walker has done his best to live up to his name so far.

Hope I'm wrong if your team is selected and we cruise it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, EricHamesis said:

That's a very lightweight looking midfield. If Cass isn't in defence, how about playing him him as DM, as he was after Conlon got sent off? Yeah, too inexperienced, too soon in his career etc., but can run all day, whereas Walker has done his best to live up to his name so far.

Hope I'm wrong if your team is selected and we cruise it. 

I think the opposite, Walker in for Conlon isn’t a lightweight swap.  However I do think that Cass is too lightweight and it showed last night and at Oldham where in both games he was bullied. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, EricHamesis said:

That's a very lightweight looking midfield. If Cass isn't in defence, how about playing him him as DM, as he was after Conlon got sent off? Yeah, too inexperienced, too soon in his career etc., but can run all day, whereas Walker has done his best to live up to his name so far.

Hope I'm wrong if your team is selected and we cruise it. 

Its less lightweight than normal surely? 

Edited by valiant_593

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If DC handles this correctly, we win on Saturday, get into the top 3 and with a good performance under our belt go into a couple of games as underdogs where in theory we can test personnel and formations a little but before returning to the league.

If you’d said to me on the first day of the season that Vale have got Hartlepool at home, but no Wilson and Proctor is 50/50, I’d say we’ll win that no problem. We can get a result and I think the players will give a huge response which catches Hartlepool in a firestorm. Score early and settle the nerves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until Proctor is back fully match fit, any formation is hampered. 433, 532 whatever it is, without someone who can hold it up, lay it off and make space with consistency we’re going to be struggling.

Oh how we were spoiled when Wilson tired, don’t worry lads just pop Proctor on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Amos, Johnson, Walker etc. Can’t get game time now then they will never start.

I really don’t get why we have no big beast centre halves apart from Legge if Clarke knew from the start that 5 at the back was the plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously Dc would have watched the game back and it's on to the next project Hartlepool at home think last time I saw us play these we lost 2-5 at home many moons ago that have no wish to remember the scorers for us or them all I remember was it was a snowy night I think it was on a tues surprise surprise .
Going away for the weekend so will not be there as going for a night in Fareham.
Team well who would you choose ,three iffy last performances but before then tremendous performances attacking wise anyway .
Covalan
Cass Smith Jones
Worrall Pett Garrity Walker Gibbons
Taylor
Amoo
No point rushing Proctor back ease him in slowly and I'm.not dropping Jones because apart from a few gash balls v Bradford and Walsall in the games ive seen he as been quality we always play gash v Walsall so I'm not going drop or rest everyone just think tues was a blip concerned about tge manner of last saturdays defeat but tues even though we were extremely poor throughout we only lost because we were the team who made the big error if Worrall puts his chance away instead of wrongly trying pass to Amoo we would be the team benefitting from a error and maybe tues bogey team would have somehow turned out differently but wasn't to be .
So that's my team should be a lot of players breaking from deep and that can only be a good thing if we pass the ball the way we know we can
UTV

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Obviously Dc would have watched the game back and it's on to the next project Hartlepool at home think last time I saw us play these we lost 2-5 at home many moons ago that have no wish to remember the scorers for us or them all I remember was it was a snowy night I think it was on a tues surprise surprise .
Going away for the weekend so will not be there as going for a night in Fareham.
Team well who would you choose ,three iffy last performances but before then tremendous performances attacking wise anyway .
Covalan
Cass Smith Jones
Worrall Pett Garrity Walker Gibbons
Taylor
Amoo
No point rushing Proctor back ease him in slowly and I'm.not dropping Jones because apart from a few gash balls v Bradford and Walsall in the games ive seen he as been quality we always play gash v Walsall so I'm not going drop or rest everyone just think tues was a blip concerned about tge manner of last saturdays defeat but tues even though we were extremely poor throughout we only lost because we were the team who made the big error if Worrall puts his chance away instead of wrongly trying pass to Amoo we would be the team benefitting from a error and maybe tues bogey team would have somehow turned out differently but wasn't to be .
So that's my team should be a lot of players breaking from deep and that can only be a good thing if we pass the ball the way we know we can
UTV

Enjoy your weekend away. 

I'm not advocating 6 changes and wholesale carnage but I think it doesn't send out a very good message if some of those keep their place. 

Hate naming individuals as it does appear as scapegoating but I'm afraid maybe taking out of the firing line will refresh Jones . He simply can't be selected after Tuesday . 

Walker also has to come into consideration. He's played about 4 games this season and probably would of played nearly every game had he not got injured. For me he's a first team player and was for the first few games. Been written off by some on here but his Vale career hasn't got going yet. 

If there aren't at least 3 changes I'd expect that Clarke will be answering his door with regularity. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree I would select Jones if we’re playing 3 at the back and I would treat the Walsall game as a one off for him. If anything he should learn from that to keep it simple, also if he makes a mistake not to compound that mistake even further by making another one to try and rectify things (giving away a rubbish pass and then diving in to leave them through on goal).
 

If I was changing anyone at the back I feel like Cass would be the one to miss out, I think he’s been found out as someone to be bullied by the opposition. At Oldham and against Walsall it was very noticeable that they both were putting long balls into him on that side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Enjoy your weekend away. 

I'm not advocating 6 changes and wholesale carnage but I think it doesn't send out a very good message if some of those keep their place. 

Hate naming individuals as it does appear as scapegoating but I'm afraid maybe taking out of the firing line will refresh Jones . He simply can't be selected after Tuesday . 

Walker also has to come into consideration. He's played about 4 games this season and probably would of played nearly every game had he not got injured. For me he's a first team player and was for the first few games. Been written off by some on here but his Vale career hasn't got going yet. 

If there aren't at least 3 changes I'd expect that Clarke will be answering his door with regularity. 

 

 

 

 

Problem with Walker is that he persistently gets yellow cards and is on 4 at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 1 said:

I really don’t get why we have no big beast centre halves apart from Legge if Clarke knew from the start that 5 at the back was the plan.

According to all the well respected posters on here, our defensive recruitment over the summer was great. No need to have a back up for a 36 year old.

The truth is Johnson and Martin were signed for this reason but they're both not up to it. Teams have now worked out that if you isolate Cass and/or Jones aerially then you can hurt us and we're paying the price. It'd be the priority in January to bring in a commanding CB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree to a extent .
Dc has a big job on his hands .
It's easy when you are winning every game as you just say to the players keep doing what has got us up there but if you are like me and you see that even when we were winning there was a carelessness about our work at times defensively then eventually the good karma you create will eventually become bad karma as teams will eventually not miss free headers and free opportunities
Lets look back at past seasons how many did we concede with the ones who still represent us playing for us ,you will find it was quite a substantial amount .
Our attacking play as somewhat diminished that up until last three games where errors are being made ,great goals ain't going in against us you could say they were all poor giveaways from a Vale point of view but when you have score 4 and 5 respectively to beat the likes of Oldham and Sutton you know that we are not super tight at the back .
Are we going be though so let's concentrate on what we are good at ATTACKING and out scoring the opposition .
Suppose we could go mega defensive but I wouldn't our strength is ATTACKING.
Playing brave get up there end football
I know defending is a art but we continually season after season do not do it very well
This season bar the odd game the forward play at Vale has being a delight but defensively at times huge embarrassment
Rochdale h 2 -3 going forwards we scored 2 excellent goals well Proctor did but the 3 given away were shocking
Sutton 4-3 completely dominate the game score 3 excellent worked goals yet manage under no massive threat from opposition concede 4 from 5 on target attempts
Then recently Oldham
It needs to stop this nonsense of conceding goals its like the whole team switches off we have created our own downfall the last 3 games.
Let's get entertaining let's get forwards on sat and most importantly each player lays there bodies on the line for PVFC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

According to all the well respected posters on here, our defensive recruitment over the summer was great. No need to have a back up for a 36 year old.

The truth is Johnson and Martin were signed for this reason but they're both not up to it. Teams have now worked out that if you isolate Cass and/or Jones aerially then you can hurt us and we're paying the price. It'd be the priority in January to bring in a commanding CB. 

To be fair they’re not tiny and should be able to win a header, but like you say the whole defence needs to improve. In fact the whole team when defending needs to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jjvale_03 said:

According to all the well respected posters on here, our defensive recruitment over the summer was great. No need to have a back up for a 36 year old.

The truth is Johnson and Martin were signed for this reason but they're both not up to it. Teams have now worked out that if you isolate Cass and/or Jones aerially then you can hurt us and we're paying the price. It'd be the priority in January to bring in a commanding CB. 

I'm not well respected but this is a view I've shared so I will offer a response.

Not great, just not poor as you said. I still think that a team that plays a new goalkeeper and 2/3 new centre halves, and is in 5th with the 7th least goals conceded can't be considered to have had a 'poor' defensive recruitment. If it is, then Lord knows what the other 16 teams have done. 

Just getting a bit binary. If we don't agree it's 'poor', then we must think its 'great'. There isn't a single League 2 team who has a 100% hit rate on signings, so the argument that Benning and Martin are bad means the recruitment was poor doesn't stand up with me. I've criticised Jones, Cass, and Lucas at various points this season, but they still form 75% of a defence which is amongst the best in the division.

I agree that a commanding centre half would be nice. Room for improvement definitely, but that's to be expected in a rebuild the size of ours. It would be naive to assume we'd address every flaw in one window. Johnson has barely been given a chance, and especially not as the 'dominant' centre half, after one dodgy debut and then excellent form in the team. Maybe he'll get a chance. 

 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again though people are basing their opinions on Johnson on what ?

45 minutes at Northampton and 10 minutes at Sutton ? 

At Northampton he was hooked at half time having had a dodgy start to his Vale career. Not the greatest of debuts. 

He came on at Sutton but we didn't lose because of him , same as we didn't lose at Oldham because of Legge. 

His stats last season were mightily impressive and he was a mainstay of a promotion winning team. 

I don't go to the Paint pot games so can't say how he played in the 3 games but we did have 2 clean sheets albeit one against Liverpool toddlers. 

I aren't writing him off yet and until he gets at least a 5 game run in League games neither should he be. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF

×
×
  • Create New...