Match Thread: Port Vale v Hartlepool United

Fosse69

I think the reason Rodney is getting so much flax is that he looks ‘slow’ and not the player we watched on tv last season. Whether it’s loss of confidence or reoccurring injury problem. What illustrates it more is when he was wide today and given the ball he turned a played it square or back, where as last season he was just turning and using his speed to burst forward. He did not do this once today.
So I think he should be given time to see if his pace returns and with it his confidence.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why in these situations Bailey, Jones etc don't get drafted in. Surely it's better to name a full bench just in case than not? We even named a bench without a keeper earlier this season when Covolan was suspended? Doesn't make sense to me
Is it better for a young players development to sit on the bench with the 1st team or to go and play with their age group?

Thought we did okay being as the side is a bit unbalanced at the moment. Nothing to warm you up though. Thought Gibbo Garrity and Pett did well but would have hooked Rodney after an hour but thought he got more into the game and then he did that sublime pass to Amoo

I think so possibly DC trying to get him some game time as Hartlepool hardly threatened and I thought we'd have to throw it away for them to get anything out of the game. The win was the most important thing whilst we're not at full throttle.

10 minutes ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

Not really but would definitely love to have it with a keyboard nonce like you. All mouth on the internet, would love to see you fill your kegs irl and pretty open to it happening. Still no direct messages though? 

Just wondering if you would call me a snowflake face to face, everyone on here knows that you go to and from different user names on a forum like, more your style.

See you at Burton instead?

You're desperate to go on a date with me it seems. Not only am I taken but I don't swing that way pal. You couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding, and even if you could, you're currently making yourself look a right melt. 

I thought Jones actually looked miles better at LWB and pinged some lovely passes around. 

We actually had a number of chances second half when we should have sealed the game up. Considering the absentees, I'm fairly pleased.

I thought Johnson did exactly what we needed today; no faff launching it at every opportunity. 

• Like 1

Just now, llcoolj said:

Proctor with new injury requiring an operation, new striker required asap

We're very unlucky to be without both him and Wilson at the same time. But anyone who thinks we'll be alright with Lloyd, Rodney and Amoo as our forward options for a number of weeks need to give their heads a serious wobble.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beech said:

We're very unlucky to be without both him and Wilson at the same time. But anyone who thinks we'll be alright with Lloyd, Rodney and Amoo as our forward options for a number of weeks need to give their heads a serious wobble.

Cant disagree with that. Rodney isn't the player he was last season, Lloyd although decent isn't going to score hatfuls and you can probably say the same for Amoo. We have to find a way of winning for the next 5 weeks or we will possibly lose touch with the top 3.

• Like 1

Disappointed. I thought we were past the stage of rushing players back.

It is a long slog to January now. We just have to hope to be bang in the top 3 race and bring in reinforcements.

Amoo is really doing a lot for us. He's spent a decade as an inconsistent winger and he's now filling in as a grafting forward. Hope Lloyd isn't far away.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

Just now, mikey said:

Cant disagree with that. Rodney isn't the player he was last season, Lloyd although decent isn't going to score hatfuls and you can probably say the same for Amoo. We have to find a way of winning for the next 5 weeks or we will possibly lose touch with the top 3.

I think Lloyd would be much better playing off a target man, but we don't have one and don't play that way. And our defence simply can't be trusted to keep too many clean sheets. This could really mess our season up unless we act.

Since they did away with non GK emergency loans I think we're going to need to sign a free agent before January. Probably talking 7/8 league games until Wilson is going to be able to start. Assuming another hernia Proctor will probably be out until around the same time Wilson comes back. 

I think the wallet is probably going to have to be opened here or we might fall away with the two main forwards out through a thick and fast winter schedule and an underperforming Rodney so far not showing any signs of picking up the slack. 

Big blow re Proctor. Back to today’s game. Ideal outcome for me: nothing flashy, didn’t the simple things well, a lot fewer misplaced passes, Walker and Johnson fitted in seamlessly. We looked solid. Two goals from midfield. Just what the doctor ordered, almost better than trouncing the,5-0 in that it keeps it real.

4 minutes ago, Doha said:

Since they did away with non GK emergency loans I think we're going to need to sign a free agent before January. Probably talking 7/8 league games until Wilson is going to be able to start. Assuming another hernia Proctor will probably be out until around the same time Wilson comes back. 

I think the wallet is probably going to have to be opened here or we might fall away with the two main forwards out through a thick and fast winter schedule and an underperforming Rodney so far not showing any signs of picking up the slack. 

Any decent free agent strikers out there though