onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Hartlepool United

Fosse69

After Tuesday I’m not sure we should go with playing 3 further up the pitch. Politic just didn’t work playing with gibbo and amoo and Conlon couldn’t seem to make their minds up where they were supposed to be.  I reckon 3-5-2 this weekend. Wasnt Lloyd injured Tuesday which is why he didn’t feature? 

Advert

7 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Not even going to try to predict this. We gave the bottom club three really soft goals and gift wrapped the points and followed it up with such a wretched, lifeless, darn right turgid performance completely bereft of any confidence and energy. I fear we could literally lose to the Dog & Duck at the moment.

I’d like to go 4-3-3 but suspect injuries might hamper that idea but nonetheless:-

Cov

Gibbons-Smith-Legge-Jones

Walker-Pett-Garrity

Worrall-Lloyd-Amoo

Now it’s a toss up between Jones and Benning at LB. Jones had an absolute stinker on Tuesday and I think Benning has looked decent as an orthodox LB when played there, however I feel Jones will defend the back stick better when crosses come in (!) so he gets the nod.

Politic was pretty anonymous so I’d see that Lloyd can do. Granted he’s not a big lad nor prolific but he puts himself about.

And let me be the first one to say it…. Mark Cullen to score against us. 

Sorry mate, I said it 13 hours ago.

Listened to pre match interview so impressed with our man in charge so honest and tells it how it is .
I think theres going be one hell of a response tomorrow performance wise .
Loss of Wilson has certainly hampered us he was playing excellently the minute he left the pitch 62nd v Bradford our forwards have failed to score in 208 minutes since which is a concern .
I thought Rodney did OK the other night in general play but he doesn't seem to have the explosive pace which he used to have .
Amoo stretches the back line but Tuesday someone sent him clear and somehow he messed it up I do not think he is a natural forward but in recent games he as generally played OK
Lloyd has not had a look in since Bradford at home yet his work was good in terms of winning free kicks in areas what benefit the Vale I think off Proctor he could be something special eventually .
Politic has magic in his boots but I do not think the position which was selected for him tues benefitted him at all surprised he never got going though .
So I'd choose just one for tomoz and play someone in the hole like Taylor the lad can score and he can play the killer pass .
I've chose Amoo but really it could be any of them .
If game not going to plan you have to send your best header of the ball forwards Leon Legge needs to be used in some games when its 0-1 with 15 to go because if he wins the first ball in then if any of our sharp midfielders read it its a goal .
UTV let Walsall enjoy there day in the sun as Darrell says as long term we will be the ones basking in glory not them

6 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Certainly saw him after the 60th minute against Crawley

pett.png

Fair enough that game. The point I made, as well as stating he was a good player, was that I've studied Pett in a fair few home and away games and it seems he runs out of steam in the latter stages resulting in our lightweight midfield losing the thread of certain games. I know he is not alone but it was an observation of mine that his energy/effectiveness/guile/impact on a game seems to wane in a number of games. I agree with most on here that on his day he is one of our better players but in my opinion I've detected this "flaw" in his game.

All of us have opinions. I remain a Pett fan but I am simply trying to learn if Vale's annoying habit of dropping in standards maybe linked to his "going off the boil?" If so then you can argue that he really is a vital player for us!😉  

I think it’s just a case of do the basics better nothing more than that. I think people can talk about this formation or that formation etc but it’s just about better decision making on the ball and winning our individual battles more often when off the ball particularly those second balls on set pieces which we have been losing a little more frequently. Do that and we should have too much for Hartlepool.

There's some really dodgy stats at this level, but these give a basic insight into Pett's importance:

image.thumb.png.7f1526271963a0da76cc194a3d8ddf8b.png

5th highest interceptions/90 of any CM, and highest pass completion of those in top 10 for completions. He's a good sitting midfielder who breaks things up and keeps things moving. I'd be interested in having him and Walker sitting and having either Conlon/Taylor/Garrity playing as a second striker off a forward, as Dodds used to.

Cov

Cass Legge Smith

Worrall Pett Walker Gibbo

Taylor 

Proctor Amoo

Only issue is that I don't think there's any left footers in there sans Jones and Conlon. 

I've never been convinced by Taylor but I think if we're going to commit to him long-term, we need to use him properly - a number 10. He doesn't get involved enough in the middle to play as a proper CM, but he is very good at timing runs and has positional awareness. Get him working in the space that Proctor and Amoo will create. Pett and Walker can hold down the middle and have an excellent passing range. 

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

There's some really dodgy stats at this level, but these give a basic insight into Pett's importance:

image.thumb.png.7f1526271963a0da76cc194a3d8ddf8b.png

5th highest interceptions/90 of any CM, and highest pass completion of those in top 10 for completions. He's a good sitting midfielder who breaks things up and keeps things moving. I'd be interested in having him and Walker sitting and having either Conlon/Taylor/Garrity playing as a second striker off a forward, as Dodds used to.

👍As I say mate Pett is a good player, I've simply made an observation about him over 90 minutes in a few games home and away.

1 minute ago, onestepatatime said:

👍As I say mate Pett is a good player, I've simply made an observation about him over 90 minutes in a few games home and away.

Maybe true. Will watch a bit more closely tomorrow.

My initial theory is that games get a bit more 'hectic' in the last twenty, with teams going more direct and with more mistakes made, so a player like Pett, who thrives in controlled possession, is bypassed slightly. He works brilliantly where we are patient and look for openings via the wingbacks.

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Cov

Cass Legge Smith

Worrall Pett Walker Gibbo

Taylor 

Proctor Amoo

Only issue is that I don't think there's any left footers in there sans Jones and Conlon. 

I've never been convinced by Taylor but I think if we're going to commit to him long-term, we need to use him properly - a number 10. He doesn't get involved enough in the middle to play as a proper CM, but he is very good at timing runs and has positional awareness. Get him working in the space that Proctor and Amoo will create. Pett and Walker can hold down the middle and have an excellent passing range. 

Clarke said Taylor out a couple of weeks Joe 

We have a good second division squad and if they are all playing at 7/10 we will win most games, however if they are at 5/10 we are going to be in trouble. I really hope and pray for a response running chasing down and generally up for it. I hope the last few results are a kick up the butt we need to push on.

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maybe true. Will watch a bit more closely tomorrow.

My initial theory is that games get a bit more 'hectic' in the last twenty, with teams going more direct and with more mistakes made, so a player like Pett, who thrives in controlled possession, is bypassed slightly. He works brilliantly where we are patient and look for openings via the wingbacks.

Exactly. You have put it more succinctly than me!

Archived