onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Hartlepool United

Fosse69

27 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

If I'd told you back in May that our strongest/preferred back 5 (3 CBs, 2 WB) would consist of 4 players who were already at the club - and one of them was a midfielder - would you have been happy? Because despite signing 6 defenders over the summer, only one of them (Jones) would get into our 'best' starting XI with the managers preferred formation. 

Gibbo - Jones - Legge - Smith - Wozza

We disagree on defensive recruitment so there's no point in continuing to go over the same ground.

An area we may agree on is that if we have no intention of using Ryan Johnson (could also use the same argument for Amos although he is only 21!) then it's in our best interests to try to work something out in January that allows him to move on and for us to replace him with someone who will get us over the line. 

I think Jones and Cass are still in our best 'back 5, + Lucas. I'd also argue that the likes of Pett contribute more defensively than Worrall so it's hard to assess defensive utility purely based on where the players are lined up in the formation. 

I agree with you that there is a hole currently in the squad; a challenge for Leon Legge. I thought Martin would provide that, and I'm not as out on him as others, but he had 100% been disappointing. I also don't think the club has 'no intention' of using Johnson. He had a dodgy debut and has struggled to get back into a team that were winning at a relentless pace. He'll get his chances and I'm not willing to write him off after 100 minutes of EFL football.

Our broad point is in agreement; defense still needs signings. I didn't expect every flaw of the squad to be addressed to a good standard in one window.

Advert

34 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

If I'd told you back in May that our strongest/preferred back 5 (3 CBs, 2 WB) would consist of 4 players who were already at the club - and one of them was a midfielder - would you have been happy? Because despite signing 6 defenders over the summer, only one of them (Jones) would get into our 'best' starting XI with the managers preferred formation. 

Gibbo - Jones - Legge - Smith - Wozza

We disagree on defensive recruitment so there's no point in continuing to go over the same ground.

An area we may agree on is that if we have no intention of using Ryan Johnson (could also use the same argument for Amos although he is only 21!) then it's in our best interests to try to work something out in January that allows him to move on and for us to replace him with someone who will get us over the line. 

I’m fine with how we’ve done so far and the players performances, it doesn’t matter what we would have said in preseason because the majority of performances have justified Clarkes decisions.

Arguably Cass could be in over Legge in your back 5 because our best form has come with Legge out of the side through injury. No one described Benning or Martin as bad signings when we signed them and I think that those 2 haven’t haven’t got a consistent run of games because of the form of Gibbo, Smith Cass and Jones which has seen those 2 kept out of the team.

Amos and Johnson are the 2 squad members way down the pecking order of defenders which is probably the same for every squad up and down the country. 

The fact that not all the new signings aren’t featuring in the starting 11 isn’t necessarily a bad thing, because the point of any new signing is to increase competition and if in turn that makes current players step up even more then that’s a good thing.  It’s up to the others to take their chance when they get it, if they don’t then come January we’ll be bringing in someone else. 

On the other side of the coin if we were playing 4 at the back then smith and gibbo would have probably been nailed on starters with the rest fighting it out for 2 positions, which I think we’d probably all agree on. 

I tend to not make a judgement on signings till season ends .
I think they all have a part play and hopefully all will in a good way help us progress and give us a fighting chance of promotion .
I think mainly Vales performances have been a 7 out of 10 collectively I think on occasions they have reached a fantastic 8 and occassionally in spasms dropped to a 3 but generally that's whats attracting folk back to the stadium Good exciting football that's what bar Walsall (never any different when we play them no wonder me nephew said I'm not going against them).
UTV

Doesn't look like drastic changes if you watch Clarke's interview.

Injury wise - "We have had one or two kicks in the teeth if I am honest with you but we have to regroup and the other lads have to come out and show they are ready to go.”

If he's fit Jake Taylor has to start on Saturday to provide some creativity. In the absence of Conlon and if DC plays 3-5-2  I'd play Smith Legge Jones at the back, Taylor, Pett Garrity as the 3 in midfield with 2 from Lloyd, Rodney, Politic up front if Proctor isn't fit enough for 90.

If DC goes 4-3-3 Then I'd play Gibbo Smith Legge Jones at the back, Taylor Pett and Garrity, Wozza Lloyd Rodney/Politic again if Proctor isn't fit and look to get Walker some game time whatever formation is played.

13 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Controversial I know but even though Pett is a competent midfielder has anyone yet seen him after 60 minutes of play? To me he disappears after an hour.

Runs a game. One of those players some fans just don’t notice or appreciate. 

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

If he's fit Jake Taylor has to start on Saturday to provide some creativity. In the absence of Conlon and if DC plays 3-5-2  I'd play Smith Legge Jones at the back, Taylor, Pett Garrity as the 3 in midfield with 2 from Lloyd, Rodney, Politic up front if Proctor isn't fit enough for 90.

If DC goes 4-3-3 Then I'd play Gibbo Smith Legge Jones at the back, Taylor Pett and Garrity, Wozza Lloyd Rodney/Politic again if Proctor isn't fit and look to get Walker some game time whatever formation is played.

According to Clarke he's out for a couple of weeks 

Could we maybe see Pett in a more advanced role & Walker playing the holding role? I think that could work. I think DCs original plan was to have Walker holding with Pett & Conlon in more advanced positions, that's certainly how it seemed pre season. The idea seems to have been scrapped though but I'd like to see Walker get a run of games if he's fit. I think he can be a big player for us. I also think Pett would thrive further forward where he's played most of his career.

Not even going to try to predict this. We gave the bottom club three really soft goals and gift wrapped the points and followed it up with such a wretched, lifeless, darn right turgid performance completely bereft of any confidence and energy. I fear we could literally lose to the Dog & Duck at the moment.

I’d like to go 4-3-3 but suspect injuries might hamper that idea but nonetheless:-

Cov

Gibbons-Smith-Legge-Jones

Walker-Pett-Garrity

Worrall-Lloyd-Amoo

Now it’s a toss up between Jones and Benning at LB. Jones had an absolute stinker on Tuesday and I think Benning has looked decent as an orthodox LB when played there, however I feel Jones will defend the back stick better when crosses come in (!) so he gets the nod.

Politic was pretty anonymous so I’d see that Lloyd can do. Granted he’s not a big lad nor prolific but he puts himself about.

And let me be the first one to say it…. Mark Cullen to score against us. 

Archived