onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January sales! who/what do we need?

geoff1

Advert

Think it depends on the next few games. If Rodney, Amoo and Lloyd come in and show that they can score goals in the absence of Proctor and Wilson, I'd say we don't need anybody in the window. If they don't, then a backup striker who can score is probably wise. Easier said than done though. Only other position I think we can improve on, as a backup to Gibbo, is Benning, but that will be sorted in the summer I guess

2 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Think it depends on the next few games. If Rodney, Amoo and Lloyd come in and show that they can score goals in the absence of Proctor and Wilson, I'd say we don't need anybody in the window. If they don't, then a backup striker who can score is probably wise. Easier said than done though. Only other position I think we can improve on, as a backup to Gibbo, is Benning, but that will be sorted in the summer I guess

You honestly think we can improve on Benning as a back up player???

41 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Without a doubt. Just my opinion

No chance can you get a better left back as back up in league 2. He walks into most 11s never mind the bench. He’s not been great yet for us but that Dosent make him a bad player. If he plays in a back 4 I think he will come good 

No chance can you get a better left back as back up in league 2. He walks into most 11s never mind the bench. He’s not been great yet for us but that Dosent make him a bad player. If he plays in a back 4 I think he will come good 
Like I said, just my opinion. Many seem to be giving him a lot of leeway purely based on what Stags fans think of him. Just like they were underwhelmed with Garrity based on Oldham fans opinion. I've seen nothing bar 45 mins to suggest that he is anything other than a very average back up option for us. I personally think that Monty offered us more both defensively and offensively. Not saying that I would have kept Monty at the time, btw, but with hindsight I'd certainly have kept him over signing Benning. Think that's the only position you can argue that we haven't improved on in terms of player recruitment. Luckily, Gibbons is even better on the left than he is on the right!

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
34 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Like I said, just my opinion. Many seem to be giving him a lot of leeway purely based on what Stags fans think of him. Just like they were underwhelmed with Garrity based on Oldham fans opinion. I've seen nothing bar 45 mins to suggest that he is anything other than a very average back up option for us

I’m not seeing any leeway given to the guy, almost universal disappointment.  He came with a good rep, based not simply on what other fans said but what we’d seen when he’s played against us.  He’s been below the standards I was expecting but I’m not seeing a bad player, and as a back up couldn’t reasonably ask for any more.  Average is what you’d expect from a reserve, anything above that and he’d be in the team more frequently, anything less and you’d be worried when said player was warming up to come on.  I don’t feel any sense of dread when Benning is playing.  Is he as good as Gibbo? No.  Have we been spoiled by watching Gibbo?  Very much so.

The opposite is probably true with Garrity, we didn’t know much about the guy, so fair enough we were probably a little more influenced by what other fans said.  Fair play to the lad, he’s been a bonus.

I'm happy with the defence and goalkeeping options, and we have plenty of options in midfield, but once Wilson and Proctor are out as they are currently, we start to look a bit thin upfront. I guess that Rodney was expected to push on this season, but for reasons we dont know, hes gone backwards and doesn't currently look like the answer, so I would be looking to loan a forward from somewhere. 

I think there is a place for benning when at some point in the season when we play with back 4. Wing back is different to full back and I think he struggles when he is the only player out wide left. Beating your man as a full back is different as you have a winger there too drawing one of the men.

5 hours ago, mikey said:

I'm happy with the defence and goalkeeping options, and we have plenty of options in midfield, but once Wilson and Proctor are out as they are currently, we start to look a bit thin upfront. I guess that Rodney was expected to push on this season, but for reasons we dont know, hes gone backwards and doesn't currently look like the answer, so I would be looking to loan a forward from somewhere. 

In order to push on Rodney, like any other player, needs to be playing games.  He’s had an injury and COVID so his season has been well and truly disrupted.  He’s got a chance to claim a place and hopefully will do so.  Get him firing and Proctor fit and we’ll be OK. Wilson recovers and it’s like a new signing for the run in.  If we can keep the points tally ticking over til the window then shuffle the deck a bit we’ll be fine.

Don't think we will need much but I have no doubt that the funds will be made available to help maintain this promotion push.  We have not had many successful seasons since I started going in 88 but most of those good seasons, we recruited well in the New Year.  88/89 season Glover and Jeffers both joined us in February of that year, the Autoglass season of 93 saw Slaven join us in the March.  The following year when we went up remember David Lowe joining late in the season and scoring some crucial goals to help us go up.  The LDV season, it all changed when Brooker joined us and while results were not great towards the end of the season of 2012/2013, Lee Hughes' goals definitely helped us get up.

Archived