Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

I want to thank Amoo who battled away with heroism. Also keeper did well. Also Smith. GIbbo sort of  

Jones had the worst game ever played in a vale shirt. Alright contestable. I love him but Jesus Christ tonight. 

Ok to the reoccurring crux  They were physically bigger than us. And football is going that way. 

Advert:

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

A record of 6-6-6 barely suggests Taylor is a managerial genius to me. 

As you said teams are gradually sussing us. 

I'm wondering if it's time for the return of Walker. Almost become the forgotten man. Puts a foot in, physical. Maybe horses for courses to get us back on track. 

It’s not a case of teams sussing us out.  If we can’t do the basics right then tactics don’t really matter.  Simple passes going straight to the opposition, not competing for every ball, players making poor decisions.  We’re making the job easy for our opponents at the moment.  We can’t keep a clean sheet.

• Like 1

Advert:

Lots was wrong with that performance but one thing that did strike me was walsall were much better at sussing out the ref early in the game and largely figured out what they could get away with.

Don't get me wrong, the officiating was terrible all round but i think as they were cuter with the ref they got to play more on their terms. I lost count of the amount of 'grappling for the ball' type fouls we gave away when trying to break. Walsall managed to tread the line between having a derby game type physicality but didnt often give away fouls in bad areas.

Only positives for me from that shambles was procter getting some minutes.

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

You can't dislike DC's honesty. I'm almost starting to like the guy.

I thought his after match interview was spot on. He’s clearly shocked and hurt hopefully he’ll get the desired reaction on Saturday.

The players owe him, the fans and the club a performance.

I know its called sXXthousery, and we engaged in it big time upto a few games ago - badgering the ref, time wasting if we were a goal or two up, Lucas having 17 collapses every couple of minutes etc, but we cant even be arsed to do any of that at present - Walsall managed the ref and the game superbly and both teams got exactly what they deserved. 

If I were a fringe player now, I would be chomping at the bit, esp Walker and Taylor (if fit). I dont think we would have rolled over last night as we did if Walker had been in the middle - dont get me wrong, I think our midfield 3 have worked wonders, but sometimes we do need a bit more raw strength (get a bit of beef in there as me old Pappy used to say)

Positives compared to Saturday were that I thought we stood up to attacks a bit more (Smudge had an epic battle all night long) and as said above nice to see Jamie back for a few minutes. 

If Conlon hadn't seen red, I think the second half formation could have borne fruit towards the end (not that we deserved a draw). If the players are as fond of Clarke as they say, they will give Saturday a right pounding - teams don't win the gaffer MOTM 2ce on the bounce and then suddenly capitulate overnight - its a blip

Walsall fan here.  We did what we needed to do to win a League Two football match away from home.  After only a few minutes there was a sense that you didn’t quite fancy the battle.  Some neat passing at times but that game was always going to be won and lost by who won individual battles through the middle of the pitch.  Last night that was definitely us.  On the back of winning those individual battles we created more chances and scored one of them.  

I was on here having the Clarke discussion when he first joined you.  So won’t get too much back into that.  But having lost a couple against poor to average sides in this league, his motivational style will either bring players with him or alienate them.  He seemed to just about ensure his post match last night was a collective rollicking.  I hope for your sake it stays that way as when the pressure comes on top our experience would be that the deflection and hanging individuals out to dry  starts to increase.  

Personally, I hope you stay up and around the play off spots.  I just hope that by the time we meet again, we’ve somehow joined you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Advert:

22 minutes ago, Swifty said:

Walsall fan here.  We did what we needed to do to win a League Two football match away from home.  After only a few minutes there was a sense that you didn’t quite fancy the battle.  Some neat passing at times but that game was always going to be won and lost by who won individual battles through the middle of the pitch.  Last night that was definitely us.  On the back of winning those individual battles we created more chances and scored one of them.  

I was on here having the Clarke discussion when he first joined you.  So won’t get too much back into that.  But having lost a couple against poor to average sides in this league, his motivational style will either bring players with him or alienate them.  He seemed to just about ensure his post match last night was a collective rollicking.  I hope for your sake it stays that way as when the pressure comes on top our experience would be that the deflection and hanging individuals out to dry  starts to increase.  

Personally, I hope you stay up and around the play off spots.  I just hope that by the time we meet again, we’ve somehow joined you.

A Walsall fan hoping we stay around the play offs ?

What utter tosh. You've had your gloat now toddle off back to your billboard.

And take your despicable paedophile and dog chants with you. 

• Haha 1

Just a watched the 2 minutes 8 seconds ' highlights ' .

Our magic moment was Politic crossing onto the roof of the net. 

They had the Wilkinson one that hit the post but was always missing and an acrobatic overhead my grandmother would of saved had it not gone 10 foot wide . A truly awful game of football. We were dire. 

Very obvious on the footage what a snidy git Labadie is. Right in the refs face ( as he was all night ) for the sending off and then ruffled Conlons hair. 

By the way it was a nailed on red card I'm not using it as an excuse we deserved absolutely nothing. 

Edited by darren1810

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Dunno what Lucas is doing for the goal. His positioning is miles off and then he bounces to one side just before the shot which means he can't save it.

Agree, I thought that he should have saved it. Wasn’t exactly blasted past him.

got his angles all wrong 

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Lots was wrong with that performance but one thing that did strike me was walsall were much better at sussing out the ref early in the game and largely figured out what they could get away with.

Don't get me wrong, the officiating was terrible all round but i think as they were cuter with the ref they got to play more on their terms. I lost count of the amount of 'grappling for the ball' type fouls we gave away when trying to break. Walsall managed to tread the line between having a derby game type physicality but didnt often give away fouls in bad areas.

Only positives for me from that shambles was procter getting some minutes.

Bang on, also thought Rodney held the ball up well to add to the crumbs of comfort.

6 minutes ago, osprey said:

Agree, I thought that he should have saved it. Wasn’t exactly blasted past him.

got his angles all wrong 

He committed the cardinal sin as a keeper and never got 'set' for the shot. He does this a lot which is why he makes very few saves.

Advert:

It’s very easy to fall into hyperbole and exaggerate things after an infuriating game, just listen to the nonsense on P&G from any of the 3 teams pretty much every week.

But no, after sleeping on it and having calmed down, and thought it through dispassionately and clinically, Christ that fever dream really did happen last night. That first half performance will unfortunately being on the list of the worst I’ve ever seen from any side, not just Vale.

Like Mansfield the wave of resignation swept over the crowd in the opening minutes as to the futility and inevitability of it all as yet again we played like 11 strangers. It’s bizarre, infuriating, unsettling how they’ve gone from winning non stop and scoring a daft amount of goals to putting in performances a hell of a lot worse than the worst of Brown or Aspin ball. Inexplicable.

Jones must have something going on with him because he’s gone from sublime cross field balls to a pass completion rate against Bradford and last night that honestly must be in single digits. Last night was surely the worst game of his career so far and ever again. 

Conlon’s an idiot. The officials were utterly appalling from the beginning and he gave the referee another chance to make it all about him. Idiot. Come out and apologise.

Walsall fans covered themselves in glory again with the paedophile chant, some of their own fans have criticised that being sung before this season at their games. They definitely definitely definitely don’t care about DC though obviously, last night very clearly definitely proved how unbothered and unscorned they are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s not a case of teams sussing us out.  If we can’t do the basics right then tactics don’t really matter.  Simple passes going straight to the opposition, not competing for every ball, players making poor decisions.  We’re making the job easy for our opponents at the moment.  We can’t keep a clean sheet.

I think the gap between what teams could do to counteract us and our confidence / quality created a huge chasm between the teams. Now that is closing on both sides, like you say what we have control over is now not going right, the basics / energy etc. but also teams are adapting every game to counteract us more efficiently, so the gap has closed shockingly. Have we been flattered by flattening teams with less players? Maybe.