onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

7 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

I have to agree with many on here that collectively that was one of the worst games by a Vale squad I have had the misfortune of witnessing in many, many, many years of supporting the Club.

Gutless, clueless, unacceptable, shocking, dire....call it what you like, there is a frustrating common denominator about being a Valiant and that is your side will continually let you down when the horizon appears to be beckoning.

No excuses last night. Walsall were up for it as everyone knew days before kick off. Vale simply hid in a spineless shell throughout the 90 minutes and no one can escape any criticism aimed at them for their totally inept peformances.

I am still bewildered as to how a unit can produce so many goals and super performances over the past few months and then turn into a dumfounded mess of crap. Football gets you doesn't it and I assume the majority of us will still throw our hard earned money away chasing rainbows for the sake of Port Vale FC. We must be mad.

My heart goes out today to Carol and Kevin who must have started to believe the impossible after their sterling efforts to ressurect a Club from oblivion. As fans and owners they must be embarrassed as we all are. 

You're right about "That collectively that was one of the worst games by a Vale squad I have had the misfortune of witnessing in many, many, many years of supporting the Club".

What I find hard to explain  (Having seen many of Vale's games against Walsall or read the reports over the years etc) is so many of those poor performances appear to have come against Walsall, against different Walsall teams with different managers. The Walsall games tended to be dour, boring, scrappy, lifeless affairs just like last nights'.

Out of interest I looked at Vale's record vs Walsall, since the start of the 60's, Vale have only won ca 13 games out of ca 66 played. As you know Walsall are known as Vales bogey team for good reason.

Perhaps last night is best put down to "Well it was Walsall".

https://www.11v11.com/teams/walsall/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Port Vale/

Advert

You're right about "That collectively that was one of the worst games by a Vale squad I have had the misfortune of witnessing in many, many, many years of supporting the Club".
What I find hard to explain  (Having seen many of Vale's games against Walsall or read the reports over the years etc) is so many of those poor performances appear to have come against Walsall, against different Walsall teams with different managers. The Walsall games tended to be dour, boring, scrappy, lifeless affairs just like last nights'.
Out of interest I looked at Vale's record vs Walsall, since the start of the 60's, Vale have only won ca 13 games out of ca 66 played. As you know Walsall are known as Vales bogey team for good reason.

As I said earlier go back two seasons, Walsall at home, us with our great home record, on a high after Man City came out the hat a few days before, flat game where neither side had hardly a sniff at goal and they scored the one chance they got to win it… before Conlon got sent off to end all hopes late on.

It was almost carbon copy.

16 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

You're probably right - we're just not at it when we meet them. But Micky didn't see it that way. He took us to the Billboard Stadium and we won for the first time in years. Football is a game played in the head!

6 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

Micky Adams and John Rudge both put teams out to beat Walsall. Have any other Vale managers managed to do this? 😄

That was awful. If Walsall had played without a keeper, we'd have still scored none. 

UTV! 

We were lucky to get none last night 😄

Given Wilson is out, surely its time to put Woz as part of a front three, or a front four. 

If we are going to play five at the back, week in, week out, then surely Gibbo and Benning are the players to play wing back, not Woz, who is wasted at the back. 

Let's hope for an early couple of goals for us on Saturday, otherwise I fear another 1 0 defeat. 

I'd like to see...

Cov

DJ

Smith

Legge

Cass

Walker

Pett

Taylor

Wozza

Rodders

Politic

Back 4 which on paper will win headers & can defend + 2 attacking fullbacks who can overlap. Wozza high right, Politic high left, let them cause havoc. Walker breaking up play/holding with Pett & Taylor with licence to roam & attack. Rodders up top but we have to play the ball into his feet, he has nothing in the air. I agree he has been poor but we need him to play himself into form with Wilson & Proc injured. (If Proc is fit I start him all day as the lone striker)

I think that could work for us. It gets our more dangerous players in more naturally dangerous positions & steadies us up a little more at the back with an older head alongside the 3 younger lads. Also gives us more threat from the throw which is yet to directly yield a single goal this season. Get Leggey, Smith & Walker flying at them.

8 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

No good being technically being our best player if you do not show it he seems do it away but rarely does it at home
Hope DCs watched the game back fancy the players playing like that to humiliate your own boss in front of a home crowd who were aghast with what they were being subjected too .
It's no good having Tom Conlons great collection of goals in a midtable side who never go anywhere .
I'd prefer someone who doesn't score but leads the club to promotion with great leadership .
It's usually in home matches Worrall or Gibbons who get the home crowd going not highly rated Conlon .

I think he would be better for having someone physical around him. If we're playing a midfield three you want them to have as different qualities as possible, in my opinion. Ours do to an extent - Pett keeps things simple and ticking over. Conlon is the one that can score from outside the box, and produce the odd moment of magic. Whereas Garrity is a pure grafter and does most of the running. But none of them are destroyers in the slightest. I'd love someone like Anthony Grant in there to give us another dimension, especially when we're up against a side that tries to bully you such as Walsall. Add the fact that Worrall, our best player along with Conlon, hasn't been playing as a winger for most of this season, I just think we're crying out to go 4-3-3. I'm not feeling Amoo as a striker either. He'll always be a wide player to me.

2 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

I'd like to see...

Cov

DJ

Smith

Legge

Cass

Walker

Pett

Taylor

Wozza

Rodders

Politic

Back 4 which on paper will win headers & can defend + 2 attacking fullbacks who can overlap. Wozza high right, Politic high left, let them cause havoc. Walker breaking up play/holding with Pett & Taylor with licence to roam & attack. Rodders up top but we have to play the ball into his feet, he has nothing in the air. I agree he has been poor but we need him to play himself into form with Wilson & Proc injured. (If Proc is fit I start him all day as the lone striker)

I think that could work for us. It gets our more dangerous players in more naturally dangerous positions & steadies us up a little more at the back with an older head alongside the 3 younger lads. Also gives us more threat from the throw which is yet to directly yield a single goal this season. Get Leggey, Smith & Walker flying at them.

What's probably our player of the season so far - James Gibbons - done to be dropped? Let alone Garrity?

10 hours ago, Beech said:

I think he would be better for having someone physical around him. If we're playing a midfield three you want them to have as different qualities as possible, in my opinion. Ours do to an extent - Pett keeps things simple and ticking over. Conlon is the one that can score from outside the box, and produce the odd moment of magic. Whereas Garrity is a pure grafter and does most of the running. But none of them are destroyers in the slightest. I'd love someone like Anthony Grant in there to give us another dimension, especially when we're up against a side that tries to bully you such as Walsall. Add the fact that Worrall, our best player along with Conlon, hasn't been playing as a winger for most of this season, I just think we're crying out to go 4-3-3. I'm not feeling Amoo as a striker either. He'll always be a wide player to me.

Said myself about Amoo. Even now his most dangerous work is out wide. 

The Bradford goal, causing the OG at Crawley. Excellent crosses across the 6 yard box at Oldham. 

He was decent up front against Accrington but overall the vast majority of his decent stuff is out wide and he affects play more there . 

21 hours ago, Beech said:

We did. But the others players knew they had to up the effort to stay in the game. And I think Walsall felt well enough in control to be content with what they had.

Walsall simply wanted it more than us, and that's the sickener. Why is that? Why weren't we enraged at what happened on Saturday - The players should have been chomping at the bit and raring to go from 5pm on Saturday. But we came out like kittens and completely allowed them to give us a collective reach around.

I've said before and will so again, and I couldn't give a <ovf censored> if not one single person agrees. But along with the obvious problem, for me we're too lightweight in midfield. We'll get away with it some games, but Conlon, Pett and Garrity have little to no physical presence between them. They look great when we're on top in games, but when we have to battle they are going to be found wanting more often than not. Absolutely nothing to do with a lack of effort, just a lack of size. For me, we need Walker in front of the defence and then we can choose Conlon and then the other from Pett, Garrity and Taylor in a 4-3-3.

I love Clarke, but if he picks the same formation on Saturday at home to Hartlepool he needs sectioning.

Disagree about Garrity, thought he was the one player who did try and get into them and battled well. I agree about Pett for some reason he seemed off his game. He is usually helping his defenders by being available to recieve the ball off them. One reason why Jones was having to hurriedly play long balls which were'nt finding a Vale player was becuase Pett was no where near.

17 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

or, the best team won!!!!!!!!!!!!😑

On 24/11/2021 at 14:10, valiant_593 said:

Formation clearly plays a big part in it. They stopped our formation from working as have numerous teams. In a 352 it’s key that the wing backs are as high as possible, if they’re pushed back it becomes 532 and we just invite pressure as per last night. Mistakes are huge I agree. But we were never going to win with the way we (and they) set up. 

Formations didn’t cause us to continually pass the ball to an opponent. We were giving the ball away when under no pressure.  We did the same v Bradford.

7 hours ago, mbycars said:

Disagree about Garrity, thought he was the one player who did try and get into them and battled well. I agree about Pett for some reason he seemed off his game. He is usually helping his defenders by being available to recieve the ball off them. One reason why Jones was having to hurriedly play long balls which were'nt finding a Vale player was becuase Pett was no where near.

Garrity always puts a shift in. There's no doubting that. But he's not powerhouse in midfield, that's for sure.

Archived