onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

1 minute ago, Doha said:

This was last week, after the poor Bradford game.

Baseless speculation and stirring isn't helpful. Surprise surprise facebook is full of it. 

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

Absolute nonsense ... unhelpful negative bile.

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

do you reckon?

Advert

18 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Just listened to it for the 3rd time... there is NOTHING, absolutely zero to make anyone think there is a problem in the dressing room.

Super weird.

Exactly. His interview reminds us that immediately in the aftermath of a defeat is a terrible time to have a microphone shoved in your face whether you are Klopp, Clarke, Ronaldo or Garrity .

It was raw and he was obviously very numb and hurting. 

Apart from the fact he didn't want to be there and struggled to put it into words there is zero in that interview suggesting anything other than a very down dressing room who had probably just had the mother of all rollockings. 

It was the imperfect storm not one person really came out of it with credit. 

No way are there dressing room issues it's absolute nonsense to suggest so . 

51 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I'm not sure I buy into this formation bashing.

That very formation had a 53.3% win ratio and 1.87 points per game before the Bradford game.

Players let us down yesterday.

Not sure I agree. 

Formation worked well early on, but teams have worked us out, every side is setting up the same way and pushing our wing backs back, and making the 352 become a 532. There has been multiple occasions where the 352 failed in the first half, and Clarke then had to switch things around in the second, so I’m not sure the stats are completely accurate give than different formations actually gave us some of those points. (53.3% won’t be correct as we were losing a couple of games first half using 352)

For me, it was blatantly obvious within 5 minutes yesterday that the formation was wrong, walsall has like every other side recently pushed gibbons and Worrall back and had complete control of the midfield as we were sat so deep. Players were dreadful last night, no question about it, but the negative set up was just as poor. The first half we rarely had more than one player in their half, and his only outlet was Jones and cass smashing it forwards in hope. 

Been asking for a change in formation for weeks, in my opinion it completely wastes one of our best players in Worrall and Dosent suit us (part of the reason we have struggled with crosses is that they are aimed at cass / Jones) in a back 4 we would have say legge in there to win those battles. 

Not saying the formation should be completely scrapped as it has done well for large parts (usually against better sides) but we need to change it. Clarke is known as being a tinker man, he needs to change saturday otherwise the same will happen again. Clarke has said he likes to keep the opponent guessing, at the moment it’s blatantly obvious how to stop us playing. 

6 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Not sure I agree. 

Formation worked well early on, but teams have worked us out, every side is setting up the same way and pushing our wing backs back, and making the 352 become a 532. There has been multiple occasions where the 352 failed in the first half, and Clarke then had to switch things around in the second, so I’m not sure the stats are completely accurate give than different formations actually gave us some of those points. (53.3% won’t be correct as we were losing a couple of games first half using 352)

For me, it was blatantly obvious within 5 minutes yesterday that the formation was wrong, walsall has like every other side recently pushed gibbons and Worrall back and had complete control of the midfield as we were sat so deep. Players were dreadful last night, no question about it, but the negative set up was just as poor. The first half we rarely had more than one player in their half, and his only outlet was Jones and cass smashing it forwards in hope. 

Been asking for a change in formation for weeks, in my opinion it completely wastes one of our best players in Worrall and Dosent suit us (part of the reason we have struggled with crosses is that they are aimed at cass / Jones) in a back 4 we would have say legge in there to win those battles. 

Not saying the formation should be completely scrapped as it has done well for large parts (usually against better sides) but we need to change it. Clarke is known as being a tinker man, he needs to change saturday otherwise the same will happen again. Clarke has said he likes to keep the opponent guessing, at the moment it’s blatantly obvious how to stop us playing. 

Spot on. They setup to take Gibbo and Worrall out of the game, shut off the avenue to Conlon leaving Cass and Jones time on the ball to play low percentage balls into the channels. 

Worked a treat.

13 hours ago, NellyTheValiant said:

Tom had already been booked in the aftermath of the Gibbo tackle on the touchline where he himself was booked and may have been a red.

Missed his first yellow.  So really he should have known better with the type of ref we had on the night and the way Walsall players were being touched and they would throw themselves to the ground as if they had been shot.  The officials should have taken action against them to stop them doing that, but he was conned by them.

13 hours ago, Beech said:

I have a tendency to be melodramatic.

But at the end of the day, he left us well and truly in the <ovf censored> tonight.

I actually thought we played better once he got sent off. We at least still tried to get forward, even though we rarely threatened as they just sat back and soaked up everything .

3 hours ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I also watched the highlights as sitting in the Paddock you don't get the clearest view.  In Covs defence you could see that he was concerned about the ball across the box.  As the player with the ball got closer he tried to over his near post a little more, adjusting his position, hence leaving more of a gap towards the far.

More or less 2 vs 2 not really in the keepers favour.  Shocking passes initially, even worse defending.

Watching it back Jones had a simple ball to his left out to Cass but tried to play it further up the pitch to gibbons on the wing and that got intercepted.

Not sure whether he did that as we had just had our first spell of pressure and crowd were amped up so he wanted to get it forward. Anyway it was a really bad easy to read pass to make with the team out of position following the corner. 

I agree that cov got stuck somewhere between covering his near post and anticipating a cross. It was a good finish to be fair. Most strikers would just leather it at that angle. I dont blame cov. Our poor passing brought it on ourselves.

Conlon was very poor all game for me he was the worst player on the pitch ,never got involved in the game ,HID as did others but he is the captain and its job to lead by example .
Say whatever you want about Garrity and Pett at least they were tackling and working there socks off even if on the ball they were not at there best.
I do not see what the big deal is with Conlon .

I wish we would just stop pointlessly pushing people over all the time too, especially when it's not even in danger areas. Fair enough you can say they go down too easy but when you run behind someone and put hands on their backs or just try to run through them it's frustrating. We do it a lot even when we are playing well.

42 minutes ago, mbycars said:

I actually thought we played better once he got sent off. We at least still tried to get forward, even though we rarely threatened as they just sat back and soaked up everything .

We did. But the others players knew they had to up the effort to stay in the game. And I think Walsall felt well enough in control to be content with what they had.

Walsall simply wanted it more than us, and that's the sickener. Why is that? Why weren't we enraged at what happened on Saturday - The players should have been chomping at the bit and raring to go from 5pm on Saturday. But we came out like kittens and completely allowed them to give us a collective reach around.

I've said before and will so again, and I couldn't give a <ovf censored> if not one single person agrees. But along with the obvious problem, for me we're too lightweight in midfield. We'll get away with it some games, but Conlon, Pett and Garrity have little to no physical presence between them. They look great when we're on top in games, but when we have to battle they are going to be found wanting more often than not. Absolutely nothing to do with a lack of effort, just a lack of size. For me, we need Walker in front of the defence and then we can choose Conlon and then the other from Pett, Garrity and Taylor in a 4-3-3.

I love Clarke, but if he picks the same formation on Saturday at home to Hartlepool he needs sectioning.

16 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Conlon was very poor all game for me he was the worst player on the pitch ,never got involved in the game ,HID as did others but he is the captain and its job to lead by example .
Say whatever you want about Garrity and Pett at least they were tackling and working there socks off even if on the ball they were not at there best.
I do not see what the big deal is with Conlon .

Technically he's our best player when he's at it. But I do agree that he has a tendency to go missing in games at times. But then again, that's why he plays at League Two level. He looks brilliant when we're on top in games and we're at it. But when we're struggling he needs to step up more than he does, as Captain and one of our better players.

I raved about Conlon to a Walsall fan before the game... That ended well.

Archived