onevalefan.co.uk

Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Dunno what Lucas is doing for the goal. His positioning is miles off and then he bounces to one side just before the shot which means he can't save it.

Agree, I thought that he should have saved it. Wasn’t exactly blasted past him.

got his angles all wrong 

Advert

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Lots was wrong with that performance but one thing that did strike me was walsall were much better at sussing out the ref early in the game and largely figured out what they could get away with.

Don't get me wrong, the officiating was terrible all round but i think as they were cuter with the ref they got to play more on their terms. I lost count of the amount of 'grappling for the ball' type fouls we gave away when trying to break. Walsall managed to tread the line between having a derby game type physicality but didnt often give away fouls in bad areas.

Only positives for me from that shambles was procter getting some minutes.

Bang on, also thought Rodney held the ball up well to add to the crumbs of comfort.

6 minutes ago, osprey said:

got his angles all wrong 

He committed the cardinal sin as a keeper and never got 'set' for the shot. He does this a lot which is why he makes very few saves.

It’s very easy to fall into hyperbole and exaggerate things after an infuriating game, just listen to the nonsense on P&G from any of the 3 teams pretty much every week.

But no, after sleeping on it and having calmed down, and thought it through dispassionately and clinically, Christ that fever dream really did happen last night. That first half performance will unfortunately being on the list of the worst I’ve ever seen from any side, not just Vale.

Like Mansfield the wave of resignation swept over the crowd in the opening minutes as to the futility and inevitability of it all as yet again we played like 11 strangers. It’s bizarre, infuriating, unsettling how they’ve gone from winning non stop and scoring a daft amount of goals to putting in performances a hell of a lot worse than the worst of Brown or Aspin ball. Inexplicable.

Jones must have something going on with him because he’s gone from sublime cross field balls to a pass completion rate against Bradford and last night that honestly must be in single digits. Last night was surely the worst game of his career so far and ever again. 

Conlon’s an idiot. The officials were utterly appalling from the beginning and he gave the referee another chance to make it all about him. Idiot. Come out and apologise.

Walsall fans covered themselves in glory again with the paedophile chant, some of their own fans have criticised that being sung before this season at their games. They definitely definitely definitely don’t care about DC though obviously, last night very clearly definitely proved how unbothered and unscorned they are. 

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s not a case of teams sussing us out.  If we can’t do the basics right then tactics don’t really matter.  Simple passes going straight to the opposition, not competing for every ball, players making poor decisions.  We’re making the job easy for our opponents at the moment.  We can’t keep a clean sheet.

I think the gap between what teams could do to counteract us and our confidence / quality created a huge chasm between the teams. Now that is closing on both sides, like you say what we have control over is now not going right, the basics / energy etc. but also teams are adapting every game to counteract us more efficiently, so the gap has closed shockingly. Have we been flattered by flattening teams with less players? Maybe.

Amos Smith Legge Jones as a flat back four. Jones to attack, cross, play long passes and take the pressure off his defending. Amos has had a good career and is highly rated, it’s time for him to get a decent run of games.

If we play Walker we have to play Taylor in the absence of Conlon, otherwise Pett is pulled out of position.

Rest Gibbo, as these back to back games must be taking their toll. If we lose him then I don’t know what we do from there.

Genuinely feels like the Crewe games we had when we were rubbish. We had absolutely nothing to play for and would hype up the Crewe games into far more than they were worth to give the season some purpose.

We'd beat Crewe every game, with their manager overthinking things + the usually good players being miles off. We'd celebrate the wins like a cup final and, whilst Crewe were often annoyed, they had bigger fish to fry. Artell would come out questioning why players were 'hiding'. We'd hold a 1-0 win against them despite finishing significantly lower on a regular basis.

43 minutes ago, osprey said:

got his angles all wrong 

I also watched the highlights as sitting in the Paddock you don't get the clearest view.  In Covs defence you could see that he was concerned about the ball across the box.  As the player with the ball got closer he tried to over his near post a little more, adjusting his position, hence leaving more of a gap towards the far.

More or less 2 vs 2 not really in the keepers favour.  Shocking passes initially, even worse defending.

It’s just a slump.

You can’t forget performances against FGR, Swindon, Orient, Harrogate etc and say this is the best we can do, against Carlisle, Walsall, Sutton.

We’ve played well so many more times than we’ve played badly. Oldham was a kick in the teeth and it was probably the worst timing possible to play Walsall, no strikers and no confidence.

Its really really weird and worrying that the players looked like ghosts when they should have been firing on all cylinders, at least from a passion standpoint. If you’re running around like mad, flying into tackles, chasing the ball down, but playing <ovf censored> it’s just one of those things. But we didn’t even TRY, really weird and they must have known that whatever DC says / said politically, it is a big fixture for him personally, and I think he admitted that in his post-match interview.

We haven’t been cast adrift, a few wins and we’re back in the autos. We need Proctor at full strength, so build him up with sub appearances. It’s not Exeter away, it’s Hartlepool at home, don’t turn it into something it’s not, we should beat these and bounce back.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Genuinely feels like the Crewe games we had when we were rubbish. We had absolutely nothing to play for and would hype up the Crewe games into far more than they were worth to give the season some purpose.

We'd beat Crewe every game, with their manager overthinking things + the usually good players being miles off. We'd celebrate the wins like a cup final and, whilst Crewe were often annoyed, they had bigger fish to fry. Artell would come out questioning why players were 'hiding'. We'd hold a 1-0 win against them despite finishing significantly lower on a regular basis.

If fans start equating one-off, built up games to season-on-season incremental progress, then that’s delusional. Using it as a balance against decline, then that’s pitiable.

I have to agree with many on here that collectively that was one of the worst games by a Vale squad I have had the misfortune of witnessing in many, many, many years of supporting the Club.

Gutless, clueless, unacceptable, shocking, dire....call it what you like, there is a frustrating common denominator about being a Valiant and that is your side will continually let you down when the horizon appears to be beckoning.

No excuses last night. Walsall were up for it as everyone knew days before kick off. Vale simply hid in a spineless shell throughout the 90 minutes and no one can escape any criticism aimed at them for their totally inept peformances.

I am still bewildered as to how a unit can produce so many goals and super performances over the past few months and then turn into a dumfounded mess of crap. Football gets you doesn't it and I assume the majority of us will still throw our hard earned money away chasing rainbows for the sake of Port Vale FC. We must be mad.

My heart goes out today to Carol and Kevin who must have started to believe the impossible after their sterling efforts to ressurect a Club from oblivion. As fans and owners they must be embarrassed as we all are. 

Personally why shouldn't the Walsall fans gloat they beat us fair and square .
We certainly do not have the capacity play 3 games in a week the tues night displays v Mansfield very poor and last night I'd describe it as worse than the performance v Mansfield and that would take some beating as we should have lost that one aswell .
Somethings gone on after the Oldham game in the dressing room as I cannot for the life of me understand last night whole team playing with no enthusiasm at all .
You have to remember there are players in the team who have got many a manager sacked when they down tools .
That was a down tools display .
Do not kid the Vale support those late goals away v Oldham have done more damage than what you think .
Conlon was very idle in his work last night might be a blessing in disguise he is out bring Walker in who competes ok he might not float a few wordly free kicks in but he will get in there and has a terrific pass on him in order to achieve a play off spot unfortunately 5 defeats has ruined top 3 in my opinion we need be solid not slack.
4700 home fans there last night and first half were encouraging but second half had nothing encourage it was a diabolical performance and its on the players not DC we know he is a good manager but when people are not putting a shift in collectively what the hell can he do about it .
As for Walsall a highly motivated win the ball team surprised there that low in the league but if I was a fan of there's I'd be asking why are there players only getting up for games v the Vale .
You see usually our players are at it last night was like going back to Vale under Brown or worse still Glover .
I want to know why our players did not play the game like it was a cup final knowing that if they did they would have blown Walsall away for sure .
Fair weather players unfortunately.
UTV

No way of sugar-coating it that was just dreadful from us especially first half. I like Jones but if he keeps his place for Saturday he will be rather fortunate. Not scapegoating him as there were plenty others who were almost as bad but did he know we were playing in white last night?

We did seem a little better after the changes in the second half. I thought Rodney applied himself well when he came on if never really coming close to threatening their goal.

I think Walker to come into the team for Saturday at least. We could have done with him last night in retrospect.

Woeful performance ... Players need a kick up the backside which I'm sure they are getting listening to DCs post match interview.

Hopefully no one expected us to win or draw every game all through the season and as DC keeps saying, football is a tough game and there will be bad patches throughout the season.

Stick with the lads... get behind the club and let's put it right on Saturday.

As an aside.... who remembers the following list of results:

Port Vale 0 - 1 Morcambe

Torquay 0 - 1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0 - 2 Exeter

Oxford 2 - 1 Port Vale

Port Vale 0 - 0 Bradford

Port Vale 1 - 2 Southend

Bristol Rovers 2 - 0 Port Vale

LWLLDLL - 4 points from 21 (1 point from the last 15 available in that run)

That's our 2012-13 Promotion season... AFTER we had made a bunch of Jan signings

Don't get caught up in short termism.

UTV

Archived