onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

I genuinely didn't think people would take me so seriously and believe I actually thought he did get sent off on purpose. It's just ranting out of frustration.

But it was poor from him, especially being the Captain. When you're on a yellow you can't go and do things like that and allow refs to get the attention most of them crave. We needed him badly tonight and he let everyone down, including himself.

Just to be clear, nobody takes you seriously.

Advert

Like DC post match interview, agree with everything he said. Also I’m confident he’ll put it right. He cares and it shows. Definitely the man for the job , even though he got it wrong tonight formation wise( saying that we weren’t up for it , so no idea if that actually matters).at least he admits it and will look at himself. Makes a refreshing change from the  dirge interviews we’ve heard from Askey etc in the past which left me more angry than I was before I heard them

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Absolutely diabolical and I cannot defend it. Got it massively wrong and hold my hands up - people I criticised were spot on.

The worst Vale performance since Aspin. Utterly absymal in every regard. Clarke overthought his lineup and decided on Conlon on the right wing. What? Knew we were done as soon as he started chucking forwards on with no plan - sign of a panicking manager.

Everyone rubbish and Conlon was daft to pick up two yellows. Not a shot on target. Dan Jones has fallen off a cliff. The pass for the goal was bad enough, but his decision to fly in and leave Smith 2 v 1 was criminal and he needs dropping. Garrity is no footballer. Every touch is poor. 

They've turned up, outfought us, taken their only chance, and defended well against a pitiful front line from us. Had our trousers down and deserved their win. Defensively a good side and impressed with the composure of the keeper. Rubbish going forward and to only win 1-0 should disappoint them. A good side would have nailed us 3/4-0.

After the run we were on, the dip was coming, and we're well and truly in the mix of one now. We went on a 5 game winless run in November of the last promotion season. They happen. Clarke is a streaky manager and he has to arrest this pronto before it becomes full-scale crisis. Proctor looked unfit and needs to be carefully managed back, as we cannot afford a setback.

I still think we're going to do well. Tonight was a horrendous, horrendous showing from minute 1, but bad runs were inevitable and we need to ride it out. Hopefully we react to 2 defeats in the same way we'd react to 2 wins. This isn't things falling apart, but a big warning sign that we need to sharpen up.

Well said Joe. We dont always need statistics to correctly comment on a match or a teams performance. Sometimes watching players for several games, win or lose, gives a very good insight into what is ahead for us. We still have the heavier grounds, bad weather etc to come and we are , without doubt, very lightweight for div 2. Long way to go yet.

3 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Was Conlon booked first time for gobbing off at the ref?

I think so. He seemed really wound up and was really giving him some verbals.  Justified, but probably not a good plan with that ref. The second yellow, marginal. I would not say cowardly at all, just not dealing with frustration in the best way. 

33 minutes ago, Beech said:

Getting a second yellow when you've already been booked is a cowardly act sometimes. He wanted an easy way out of the game in my opinion instead of rolling up sleeves (if he had them) and showing what a captain is all about when the going gets tough. Like the rest of our players, many of them much less talented than he is, he not only went missing tonight but he also gave us absolutely sod all chance of getting back in it the moment he decided he would like an early warm shower.

Frustration. He had a poor game and knew it

19 minutes ago, Platty's Tassels said:

Like DC post match interview, agree with everything he said. Also I’m confident he’ll put it right. He cares and it shows. Definitely the man for the job , even though he got it wrong tonight formation wise( saying that we weren’t up for it , so no idea if that actually matters).at least he admits it and will look at himself. Makes a refreshing change from the  dirge interviews we’ve heard from Askey etc in the past which left me more angry than I was before I heard them

He also needs to take a look at himself as well. From the opening minutes it was clear that Walsall were loading 3 or 4 men on to our left to stop gibbo playing. Whilst they were lumping long balls on to Cass and Worrall to turn them around.  The idea of playing 2 up front but playing them wider with a false 9 down the middle killed the space that Worrall and gibbo would normally have. We have been used to seeing proctor and Wilson link up with the wingbacks and a centre mid to get our wingbacks in behind, there was none of that tonight with no one else taking on that link up role and it looked like we hadn’t had time to work on this as a unit. Politic looked completely lost IMO. It was left to Worrall and gibbo to try and create something themselves. It wasn’t until we changed to 4-3-3 that we started to see gibbo getting more involved and also Benning to a lesser degree. Even so when we got the ball down the wings with the full backs they had very few options, no midfielder coming to them to help out to work angles.  So I agree that with DC that some people hid tonight and didn’t get involved as they normally do. Personally I think we should have gone to 4 at the back much sooner than we did, that tactical mistake tonight is on the manager I’m afraid. 

Chance for fringe players now - Amos/benning for Jones (I think he has been great but perhaps needs a rest) walker and Taylor for conlon and one of pett/garrity. Thought benning looked more comfortable tonight than all season. Chance to go back in the top 3 if we win - can't believe how tight this league points wise. Come on vale let's all keep the faith (as Mr Bonjovi once, said) 

7 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Notice there’s a few comments on how Taylor out did Clarke.

Didnt have to do much there tonight, he’s just done exactly what every other side does against us. Formation has to change. 

A record of 6-6-6 barely suggests Taylor is a managerial genius to me. 

As you said teams are gradually sussing us. 

I'm wondering if it's time for the return of Walker. Almost become the forgotten man. Puts a foot in, physical. Maybe horses for courses to get us back on track. 

Entertainment Value 0 out of 10
Players marks
Covalan 5 Smith 5 the rest 4 to 3s .
A disgusting display where we have not really come out the changing rooms .
Walsall were excellent they broke up play wasted about 20 minutes doing goal kicks and lying on the floor but they did what they needed do score and on there first half display they deserved score ,second half just time wasted and weren't really troubled all night
I wonder if there are players in lower leagues involved in match fixing because watching Vale tonight you would say they deliberately threw that game .
I wouldn't have thought so but you never know but in future if not going bother turn up players can you let the faithful know so we can stay at home and .watch something with some desire ,passion and drive in it anything really staring at a wall be more exciting than that shower we have all witnessed tonight .

Archived