onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

15 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

As bad as we were tonight, what annoyed me the most was our awful support, 4700 home fans when 3rd in the league against local rivals.  I keep hearing from our fans on here what a big club we are but our home support is shocking, yes we take great numbers away but at home after one bad result they all stay away.  When we needed the supporters behind us, they were no where to be seen.  If that was Crewe and they had that support at home, we would have been laughing like anything.

Its not just the lack of numbers but lack of noise. To quote Walsall fans its was like a library at times even before we went a goal down.

I know the players have to give you something to support but sometimes the players need a big pick me up when they are struggling and our support at home needs to be much better than that.

Too many fans shouting your <ovf censored> at players when things not going to plan. I've never seen a player yet in any team to play better when your home fans keep saying you are <ovf censored>.

Honestly fans need to give the heads a wobble at times.

Advert

The absolutely infuriating thing is, is that if Dan Jones doesn't decide to go flying in to make up for his 965th misplaced pass of the night, we don't concede and the game ends in a dire 0-0 draw, as neither team was gonna create anything through their own abilities. That's how poor this league is.

We played the worst we've played in about 5 years and conceded one real chance, completely of one player's making. 

Frustrated. We're still 5th and 3 points from 2nd, which we all we deem 'outstanding' if offered pre-season. We've chucked away 8 points in three games and only dropped 3 places. It's horrendously tight so Clarke simply has to show his managerial credentials. This isn't the apocalypse but a massive warning sign that maybe things were going a little too easily for us and 2 injuries and a confidence-sapping collapse can tilt trajectories rapidly. 

Clarke has done more than enough to suggest he'll right this, and to expect him to manage 46 games perfectly/us to carry on winning and performing was naive, but tonight was his very worst as a Vale manager.

It’s hard to pick the bones out of that, and if anyone can find any positives they are a better person than.

Not going to blame the ref, because they did exactly what any sane person knew they would do (and which their manager actually said they’d do) and start strong, physical and on the front foot crowding us out in midfield whilst winning free kicks in and around the box to see how we’d deal with high balls into the box. And yes, they played the ref like an absolute fiddle.

I do think Clarke has to shoulder some of the blame. Yes his hand was forced by injuries but we just had no guile, craft or physicality about us at all. It was pretty obvious that it wasn’t working when it takes 20 mins to have a touch in the oppo’s box when you’re at home. 

Where this leaves us I really don’t know. That was scarily similar to some of the horrific performances we started to put in this time last year so I really hope we are not about to enter into a similar slump. What is clear is that we cannot play that formation without Proctor and/or Wilson.

I hope’s pride has taken a dent after having 45 mins of p!ss taking and he find a way to keep the show on the road, because that was a major blow out tonight.

16 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Out muscled, out ran, out thought. What on earth was that? Yes, I might be over reacting but I’m going to have a rant here.

We seem to have built a football side with absolutely no fight and no ability to go and have a battle. 

The midfield three are only useful when it’s going nice and we’re battering teams. A player like Labadie is just what we need. He absolutely ran that midfield and saw the game out for them. Pett and Conlon just don’t have that in them. I’m still yet to be convinced by Pett if I’m honest. Just give Walker a run in the team now.

Same story for the defence. Sick of seeing Cass being bullied now. Jones is insistent on thinking he’s Beckham, I’m sick of seeing him smash it to their centre halve. When he has to defend, is he actually that good? Their three centre halves would walk in our team. Big and dominant. 

On to the forwards. Clearly Proctor and Wilson are a massive miss. Politic didn’t have a clue where he was playing and hardly touched the ball. Amoo tries hard but never looks like scoring.

I’ve probably over reacted, been emotional and too harsh but I don’t care right now. I’m sick of Vale collapsing in and being crap in any slightly big game. This team so far is no different than any other Vale side in that sense. 

We go to Oldham with a massive following and come home embarrassed. Teams come to here and we gift them three points.

I await the backlash. 

No backlash from me either. A tad harsh at times (Pett has generally played well this season) but a fair few home truths that DC and Co need to reflect on:

*The 532 formation is now becoming too predictable and we've been found out - we need to vary it depending on who we're playing

*It's made up of too many physically weak players who don't seem up for a fight (tonight, only Smudger and Gibbo showed any)

*We need a much stronger, physically powerful spine to the team if we're going to get out of this bear pit

If we turn up on Saturday without a radical change of plan, formation and tactics, not to mention better selection, we'll see the same again.

Personally I'd like to see 433: Gibbo, Smith, Legge, Benning at the back; Walker, Pett and Garrity in midfield; and Wozza, Proctor and Amoo up front.

The player I've felt particular sympathy for this season is Wozza, played out of position, attacking threat nullified, and tonight subbed for his trouble.

All those berating Wilson earlier in the season might of changed their minds now. He's pivotal to us. 

Only positive tonight was the return of Proc. 

The man of the match was obviously one of those nights where they put all the names in a bag and randomly picked one out. 

Understand somebody has to get it but only one candidate tonight , Covolan. 

I can't deal with Garrity. His technical ability is not EFL standard. He is useful in tight away games but bar his 2 game goal spell he doesn't offer enough. Likeable grafter who we'll need in the run in but no more home starts for him, I am begging. 

Its not just the lack of numbers but lack of noise. To quote Walsall fans its was like a library at times even before we went a goal down.
I know the players have to give you something to support but sometimes the players need a big pick me up when they are struggling and our support at home needs to be much better than that.

Our support tonight was terrible , , the same 2 or 3 10-15 year old songs , nothing new nothing inspiring

Walsall took the Michael on and off the field , very noisy and showed passion

20 minutes ago, osprey said:

The ref good - Really? 
how can football be played if a foul is given for every slight touch / time wasting etc 

he never had control of the game 

It’s not the ref who was doing all the niggly fouls. And we were just as bad as them. Blaming officials is a smokescreen, we were awful, and deserved nothing 

Fans could see this was going to be a scrappy, hard-tackling game, but our most robust and strongest players just sat on the bench. That makes no sense to me. Obviously we needed a bit of finesse, but we had neither tonight. Anyway, we’ll smash Hartlepool.

shocking performance from our players and the officials. This was the same referee who sent Covolan off at Northampton. 
Does he have a problem with the Vale? Or does he just seek the limelight, the best referees are hardly noticed during a game, this one wanted to be centre stage. 
That’s not deflecting the blame for a piss poor performance by most of our players, Jones couldn’t pass water tonight, 

1 minute ago, CambridgeDon said:

No backlash from me either. A tad harsh at times (Pett has generally played well this season) but a fair few home truths that DC and Co need to reflect on:

*The 532 formation is now becoming too predictable and we've been found out - we need to vary it depending on who we're playing

*It's made up of too many physically weak players who don't seem up for a fight (tonight, only Smudger and Gibbo showed any)

*We need a much stronger, physically powerful spine to the team if we're going to get out of this bear pit

If we turn up on Saturday without a radical change of plan, formation and tactics, not to mention better selection, we'll see the same again.

Personally I'd like to see 433: Gibbo, Smith, Legge, Benning at the back; Walker, Pett and Garrity in midfield; and Wozza, Proctor and Amoo up front.

The player I've felt particular sympathy for this season is Wozza, played out of position, attacking threat nullified, and tonight subbed for his trouble.

Not sure I would be playing Proctor, yes we have very little up front but we have to go very easy on him, we have so many matches in the coming weeks and we can't risk him breaking down.  I know there was no service to him but he looked like someone coming back from an injury and off it like everyone else. 

Archived