onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stockport County 5 Bolton 3 FA Cup

Doha

12 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Nice to see they have a stand named after Danny Begara. Noticed that they had electronic advertising boards as well. Played without Rooney who they said had been voted the player of the season for the last two leagues in which they’d played. How much must he be earning a week.? Does anyone know if Whitmore is injured because I don’t even think he was on the bench. Does anyone know if Bolton played their first team.? Quigley did really well I seem to remember him playing towards the right hand side for us, so probably JA played him out of position 

Said in commentary mate that Whitfield had fractured his foot. 

Are you thinking of the right Rooney ? If you thinking of the ex Aberdeen and Salford one he is now at Solihull. 

The Stockport guy is John Rooney brother of Wayne .

Bolton were full strength apart from Doyle was injured . 

Advert

20 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Quigley did really well I seem to remember him playing towards the right hand side for us, so probably JA played him out of position 

He actually played under Aspin rather than Askey. He was signed in the summer of 2018 and left in Jan 2019 before Askey came in to replace Aspo.

I think the issue with Quigley at Vale was he kept saying he needed a run of games and he never got that. I've just been looking at that season and he made thirteen appearances but just two starts. He scored in one of the games he started. The rest of his appearances were lots of being introduced with 15-20 minutes left so in terms of minutes on the pitch, well, he didn't have many.

He said as much when he left - "When you think you should be playing and you’re not, it was hard to take. It was a bitter pill to swallow because I thought I was going there to play."

That's not trying to rewrite history and say he would have been a world beater. I think he's developed a lot since he was at Vale when he did look very raw, but perhaps with a run of games he may have made a bit more of an impact. He's certainly a handful now. 

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Said in commentary mate that Whitfield had fractured his foot. 

Are you thinking of the right Rooney ? If you thinking of the ex Aberdeen and Salford one he is now at Solihull. 

The Stockport guy is John Rooney brother of Wayne .

Bolton were full strength apart from Doyle was injured . 

Darren, good morning, yes I was thinking of the wrong person. I only put the game on to see Quigley score the lib and then turned it off. My questions around BWFC playing their strongest eleven, revolve around,

1. Is their place in L1 more financially rewarding than a cup run, as they’ve had an extra game out of the tournament.

2. Even more importantly is it getting to affect us, if they recall Politic.

5 minutes ago, robf said:

He actually played under Aspin rather than Askey. He was signed in the summer of 2018 and left in Jan 2019 before Askey came in to replace Aspo.

I think the issue with Quigley at Vale was he kept saying he needed a run of games and he never got that. I've just been looking at that season and he made thirteen appearances but just two starts. He scored in one of the games he started. The rest of his appearances were lots of being introduced with 15-20 minutes left so in terms of minutes on the pitch, well, he didn't have many.

He said as much when he left - "When you think you should be playing and you’re not, it was hard to take. It was a bitter pill to swallow because I thought I was going there to play."

That's not trying to rewrite history and say he would have been a world beater. I think he's developed a lot since he was at Vale when he did look very raw, but perhaps with a run of games he may have made a bit more of an impact. He's certainly a handful now. 

Rob, TY 

3 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

It was a fantastic game…. Great to see Stockport back at it… difficult night for Bolton they looked to lack physicality but it’s always difficult to judge on a single viewing.

I always remember Jim Steele scoring there as we stood on the benches behind the goal on our way to promotion… bloody hell how long ago was that?

On that note... the celebrations for that goal are in here 😉

• Fosse69 changed the title to Stockport County 5 Bolton 3 FA Cup
1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Darren, good morning, yes I was thinking of the wrong person. I only put the game on to see Quigley score the lib and then turned it off. My questions around BWFC playing their strongest eleven, revolve around,

1. Is their place in L1 more financially rewarding than a cup run, as they’ve had an extra game out of the tournament.

2. Even more importantly is it getting to affect us, if they recall Politic.

I think in general they are struggling a bit and had higher aspirations this season. Stockport more than matched them as the result proved in fact 2 of the 3 Bolton goals were calamities. 

I'm hoping we have a chance of Politic but he may have options and isn't getting huge game time , would that change if signed permanently ? Maybe not with the way we play. 

Have a mate who is a County season ticketholder , despite now living in Anglesey. He went the away game with 5000 others. A couple of months ago he booked us tickets at Crewe Lyceum to see the illegal eagles , turned out its the same night as the replay.  I suggested he bail and go the match , I would have if it had been the Vale. As the gig was his suggestion he came the concert.  He recorded the match and was watching it after the concert , avoiding all news of the result. I took a sneaky look and saw it was 2-0 down , then 3-1 down . Thought he was in for a bad night, at the end of the concert  could not  believe the final score . He went back to watch the recording blissfully unaware he was in for a great finish to the evening.

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think the issue with Quigley at Vale was he kept saying he needed a run of games and he never got that.

That was my thinking.  We've had a couple of strikers who I didn't think were bad over the last few years, just needed a bit of work, but we only had one striker who the majority of fans gave any patience too. 

25 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Just watched the highlights. Looking at Bolton's dire defending, it won't be Politic they'll be after - it's a couple of central defenders. Nice attendance though - 10,084, pretty good going for a Tuesday evening.

Even better for a Wednesday evening!

Archived