Is there anything you’d like to see done to improve attending VP or to enhance our reputation

Playa Amodores

5 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Not sure how it could be achieved and I suspect the cost would be mightily prohibitive, but we need seats/terracing closer to the pitch to generate real atmosphere.  Grounds like the Bescot always seem more atmospheric with smaller crowds just because all spectators are much closer to the action.

It’s only at the sides to be fair.  Both Bycars and Hamil ends are pretty close to the goals.  The main “problem” is that we don’t use the full width of the pitch, there’s yards of grass before you reach the running track down each side.  You’d have to think if we were ever to redevelop the Railway then the whole lot could be bought closer to the pitch.

Edited by Guitar Ray
  • Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It’s only at the sides to be fair.  Both Bycars and Hamil ends are pretty close to the goals.  The main “problem” is that don’t use the full width of the pitch, there’s yards of grass before you reach the running track down each side.  You’d have to think if we were ever to redevelop the Railway then the whole lot could be bought closer to the pitch.

That’s the dream, a steeper new stand to replace the Railway which brings everything closer in! 😄 Have no idea how we would ever afford it. Maybe a combination of grants and loans or a wealthy investor buying a percentage of the club from Carol in the future. 

• Like 1

It’s only at the sides to be fair.  Both Bycars and Hamil ends are pretty close to the goals.  The main “problem” is that don’t use the full width of the pitch, there’s yards of grass before you reach the running track down each side.  You’d have to think if we were ever to redevelop the Railway then the whole lot could be bought closer to the pitch.
Move the pitch towards the Lorne St stand, maybe space then to build a new Railway stand in front of the old stand. Similar to what Sheffield Utd did when they removed their cricket pitch.

I haven't been all through this thread but has anyone mentioned the state of Bycars Lane that runs behind the Bycars End?

I sit in the Lorne Street and after matches use it to get back to Federation Road where I park. Apart from fighting against the tide of fans coming out of the Bycars and heading in the opposite direction the state of the path is disgraceful. Great potholes and crumbling surfaces; I'm surprised no one has had a serious accident there, especially after dark. I know the road isn't adopted by the Council, which accounts for the condition, but unadopted roads are usually the responsibility of the frontagers - and while the only frontager is Vale, unless there's something in the title deeds to the contrary it's the Club's responsibility. 

Any chance of improvement? And, while you're at it, some lighting down there wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by Heatwave
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

That’s the dream, a steeper new stand to replace the Railway which brings everything closer in! 😄 Have no idea how we would ever afford it. Maybe a combination of grants and loans or a wealthy investor buying a percentage of the club from Carol in the future. 

Maybe…..after the 250k tannoy replacement, the 300k pitch upgrade, the 100k completion of the Lorne Street concourse, the new turnstiles, the redevelopment of the training facilities, the repurposing of the old Family Stand, a few more quid have been spent on improving the team, the conversion of the bogs to mini spa resorts and anything else we fans have dreamt up that I’ve missed.

• Haha 1

Advert:

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
5 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Move the pitch towards the Lorne St stand, maybe space then to build a new Railway stand in front of the old stand. Similar to what Sheffield Utd did when they removed their cricket pitch.

If only it was as easy as that.

6 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

Not sure how it could be achieved and I suspect the cost would be mightily prohibitive, but we need seats/terracing closer to the pitch to generate real atmosphere.  Grounds like the Bescot always seem more atmospheric with smaller crowds just because all spectators are much closer to the action.

It could theoretically be achieved by digging out the pitch and dropping it 20 feet lower and extend the seating/terracing forward.

28 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

It could theoretically be achieved by digging out the pitch and dropping it 20 feet lower and extend the seating/terracing forward.

Nice idea but the drains would run uphill then. 🙂 Plus it would involve removing 20,000+ tons of spoil.

52 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Probably not practical  in close proximity to mineshafts that have been capped.

56 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

Like I said, prohibitively expensive methinks.

Advert:

Maybe…..after the 250k tannoy replacement, the 300k pitch upgrade, the 100k completion of the Lorne Street concourse, the new turnstiles, the redevelopment of the training facilities, the repurposing of the old Family Stand, a few more quid have been spent on improving the team, the conversion of the bogs to mini spa resorts and anything else we fans have dreamt up that I’ve missed.

paddock bogs!!!!!!!!!😁

If only it was as easy as that.

I didn`t say it was easy, avoids moving all the slag initially. The last part of the ground to be renewed, the last job  and many  years away.

The more you read through this thread, the more you start to wonder whether Vale Park is even fit for purpose anymore. So far the ‘to-do’ list is:

Tannoy - 250k

Pitch - 300k

LS concourse - 100k (at least)

Family Stand - £?? Depending on what we do with it

Bycars Lane - £??

Bycars & Paddock bogs - £??

Redeveloping the Railway - £??m

etc etc

How much did Rotherham spend on their ground, for example? It was a while ago when I visited by it struck me what a brilliant lower league it was.

Advert:

Rotherham’s was £17m in 2012.

Inflation and rising materials costs since would add a significant wedge. Interest rates are predicted to rise quite a bit in the near future to deal with the cost of living crisis.

There was an excellent site of several cleared streets of terraced housing behind the George (the area around Sylvester street) that would have been a decent location for a new ground. Big site with ample car parking centering around an imposing, non template stadium in the middle with steep stands right on the pitch edge, several road access points, right next to VP, revenue driving corporate and entertainment facilities, top hybrid pitch, PR for Robbie to get on board etc

Unfortunately St Modwen snapped it up for a few acres of affordable new build housing. 

Any new project would need to be in Burslem, and as close to the centre as possible, as the town will be dealt the final economic death blow otherwise. 

VP is very good site location and size wise, but the redevelopment costs because of what it’s built on would be painful, and we’d have to ground share for a season at least unless it was rebuilt in a complicated modular fashion. 

Edited by Doha

10 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

New ground is needed really as best solution financially it it all depends on the value of the land currently owned, it’s not a desirable area for housing which would fetch the most money.

the way its going there will  be plenty of land at the old ground in hanley duck!!!!!  😄