onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is there anything you’d like to see done to improve attending VP or to enhance our reputation

Playa Amodores

6 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Teething problems.  Apart from the crackling and popping during the game I thought they were an improvement.  Actually heard the pre match tunes and all the players names for the first time in I don’t know how long.

I thought they were a lot better too, although I didn’t hear any crackling or popping.

Advert

20 hours ago, Conrad said:

I thought they were a lot better too, although I didn’t hear any crackling or popping.

It was during the game, predominantly the second half.  Possibly just the speaker nearest Lorne St. Sounded like someone was messing around with connections whilst everything was still on and the volume was up high.

• 2 months later...

I have to give a mention to the catering in the RP on Saturday. Behind me sit a woman and her father who have a hot pie and hot beverage at every game as they are ST holders. She decided after 30 mins to get two pies with a view to beating the queues at HT, quite a sensible idea. She returned to her seat having acquired the pies, she had one and fave the other to get father. She stated that the pies cost £2.50 each. Both pies were burnt and dry inside, they should have returned them but decided against it. Then as I was standing by the kiosk at HT I heard fans saying that the kiosk had run out of pies. The pie is staple source of food fir the football fan and a good funding revenue for the club. Come on Vale sort it out, ppl are wanting to put money into the club so not being able to provide them with what they want means that the club is losing out. Also the food needs to be of a lot better quality that what was dished out yesterday. To run out of pies when they knew it would be a large crowd, beggars belief. I’d like to know who and what provisions are made for catering. We knew from ticket sales that the crowd would be around 10,000.

The RP, RS were both  "sold out",  I sit opposite in LS.  There were hundreds of empty seats in both. This is not ST holders not attending. The empty seats were all together at the Bycars end of the stands.

I'm now sure , for whatever reasons,  our capacity has been dramatically reduced.  I doubt we could get over 13000 allowed now.

I think, perhaps colin garlick,  ought to comment on this.

Although seeing folk arriving in the Bycars missing 20 odd minutes,  maybe it's a good job we don't usually get good crowds?

23 minutes ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

The RP, RS were both  "sold out",  I sit opposite in LS.  There were hundreds of empty seats in both. This is not ST holders not attending. The empty seats were all together at the Bycars end of the stands.

I'm now sure , for whatever reasons,  our capacity has been dramatically reduced.  I doubt we could get over 13000 allowed now.

Although seeing folk arriving in the Bycars missing 20 odd minutes,  maybe it's a good job we don't usually get good crowds?

Did you see the lad that does a blog on u tube going around the country doing different games he didn’t get in the bycars until 15 mns after kick off and they’d already sold out of pies he wasn’t very complimentary about it 

7 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Whatever the reasons for any empty seats I have to say that was the most fans I’ve seen in the Railway for many a year when viewed from where we sit the Bycars.

20 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Did you see the lad that does a blog on u tube going around the country doing different games he didn’t get in the bycars until 15 mns after kick off and they’d already sold out of pies he wasn’t very complimentary about it 

I know there are problems around the ground but next season the club need to look at opening the bottom set of turnstiles and the second tea bar in the Bycars, if only to be in a suitable condition where they can be put into use when there’s a bigger gate expected.  Even a slight increase in the numbers appears to cause havoc, certainly at the catering.

I’m not sure what the full regulations are but, with a bit of work, the club could possibly sell alcohol from the currently disused tea bar.  Either way the club are missing out on additional revenue as me and the few fans I sit with have given up trying to purchase anything at halftime due to the queues and then finding things are sold out, and we won’t be on our own.

9 hours ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

The condemned family stand is good for about 500 in terms of seats too. 

The Robbie gig will be very interesting in terms of crowd management and safety. I understand 20,000 odd are expected for that with pitch standing. 

The solution is to get the “new” Lorne Street section open as quickly as possible. It would help solve a bit of crowd congestion. 

On 10/02/2022 at 00:40, Guitar Ray said:

We have a good stadium.  What are you proposing by way of improving Vale Park, we knock down every stand on some whim?  I don’t think you’ve thought it through.  We could probably carry out all the work suggested in this thread for circa £1M -£2M. Build a new stand on the Railway side and you’d still have plenty of change out of £10M.  A new ground would cost far in excess of that.

Anyway Carol has stated on several occasions that we won’t be moving.  It fits in with her wider plan for Burslem and the wider area in general.  VP is being improved.  We can see it.

This is where I beg to differ and to be honest, I also disagree with Carol on this.

With my tin hat on, I don't think Vale Park is a good stadium. It's a big stadium yes, but it's also an old stadium and one built in a different age and which struggles to cope in the modern era. Compared to a lot of other grounds, the transport links are awful and the parking is awful. 

We surely need to be aiming for big crowds as a regular occurrence but as Saturday shows that when we get them the general infrastructure both in and out of the stadium really struggles to cope. The end result is often frustration and anger from fans and that can't help attract new ones.

I don't think the argument that all new grounds are bad is true. A lot are bad but with some imagination and skill it is possible to have a new ground which works. 

It would cost a lot of money, yes, but then it depends on what revenue streams it brings in to pay those costs. A stadium where events could be held (e.g. concerts in the summer without annoying the neighbours) means the stadium would bring in money all through the year (Vale Park only brings it in for nine months). A stadium with good transport links is more attractive for business meetings, conferences, again bringing in more money. New facilities means significantly less costs on constantly fixing things (isn't the PA system alone at VP going to cost £1/2m). Even if cosmetic things are done to VP, we still have a stadium with old stands which both have steelwork disrupting the view and poor sightlines because seats have basically been bolted onto terracing. Then there's that pitch and the cost of sorting it out...

For me, the reasons to stay at Vale Park are the wrong ones - nostalgia, history etc. However, in 1950 Vale Park WAS a new ground and we've moved regularly through our history so I don't understand the resistance to at least considering another one to bring us into this century. If there simply isn't a suitable site then fair enough but I don't like the view that we should never consider any other option than staying at Vale Park. 

5 hours ago, robf said:

This is where I beg to differ and to be honest, I also disagree with Carol on this.

With my tin hat on, I don't think Vale Park is a good stadium. It's a big stadium yes, but it's also an old stadium and one built in a different age and which struggles to cope in the modern era. Compared to a lot of other grounds, the transport links are awful and the parking is awful. 

We surely need to be aiming for big crowds as a regular occurrence but as Saturday shows that when we get them the general infrastructure both in and out of the stadium really struggles to cope. The end result is often frustration and anger from fans and that can't help attract new ones.

I don't think the argument that all new grounds are bad is true. A lot are bad but with some imagination and skill it is possible to have a new ground which works. 

It would cost a lot of money, yes, but then it depends on what revenue streams it brings in to pay those costs. A stadium where events could be held (e.g. concerts in the summer without annoying the neighbours) means the stadium would bring in money all through the year (Vale Park only brings it in for nine months). A stadium with good transport links is more attractive for business meetings, conferences, again bringing in more money. New facilities means significantly less costs on constantly fixing things (isn't the PA system alone at VP going to cost £1/2m). Even if cosmetic things are done to VP, we still have a stadium with old stands which both have steelwork disrupting the view and poor sightlines because seats have basically been bolted onto terracing. Then there's that pitch and the cost of sorting it out...

For me, the reasons to stay at Vale Park are the wrong ones - nostalgia, history etc. However, in 1950 Vale Park WAS a new ground and we've moved regularly through our history so I don't understand the resistance to at least considering another one to bring us into this century. If there simply isn't a suitable site then fair enough but I don't like the view that we should never consider any other option than staying at Vale Park. 

I think Vale Park is perfectly capable of holding a big crowd. We were told to arrive early for the game, which many did (as queues had formed for turnstiles in the Railway and Bycars well before 2pm) but it was 2:05pm by the time they started letting anybody in and not all turnstiles were open. I’d put this down to ‘human error’ as it is rather than a Vale Park issue.

I know VP isn’t perfect but I think we’re quite fortunate really. Look at clubs like Barrow (we all know how shocking it is but they haven’t been in the Football League for long in fairness) Bristol Rovers has a ground with temporary tents being used as stands and Swindon’s ground certainly isn’t perfect either with a goal end missing an entire roof. I’d take VP any day of the week.

On 14/11/2021 at 14:23, Playa Amodores said:

Biddulph I like your comment re the blue seats even though we have had blue away shirts, but why the white.That’s the only part of the ground where I’ve never watched a game. As a kid I’ve even sat in the wall with the behind the church, until they opened the gates with twenty mins to go then we’d go into the LS. Even when they put glass on top of the wall we’d sit on it.

I remember those days when we were let in 20 minutes from the end!

2 hours ago, FeedThePope9 said:

I think Vale Park is perfectly capable of holding a big crowd. We were told to arrive early for the game, which many did (as queues had formed for turnstiles in the Railway and Bycars well before 2pm) but it was 2:05pm by the time they started letting anybody in and not all turnstiles were open. I’d put this down to ‘human error’ as it is rather than a Vale Park issue.

I know VP isn’t perfect but I think we’re quite fortunate really. Look at clubs like Barrow (we all know how shocking it is but they haven’t been in the Football League for long in fairness) Bristol Rovers has a ground with temporary tents being used as stands and Swindon’s ground certainly isn’t perfect either with a goal end missing an entire roof. I’d take VP any day of the week.

Yep, I'm not saying that moving is essential or urgent but I do think it should be considered an option. I don't buy the "we have to stay at Vale Park" argument.

If we have a long-term plan to progress as a club then (without getting ahead of ourselves) we shouldn't compare ourselves with Barrow, Sutton etc but rather with higher-division stadia like Bolton, Milton Keynes and so on... It's when you compare us with those sorts of set-ups that I think you can see how far we have to go.

With the crowds we get now, clearly Vale Park can cope - far better than many clubs in this division - but surely our long-term goal is to be in a higher division and to cope with the budgets some of those clubs have we need to ensure everything at the club - coaching, academy, staff, marketing AND stadium are as competitive as possible.

Very few modern grounds are that nice outside the big Prem club ones. Colchester’s for example is perfectly functional with nice modern facilities but soulless and boring. 

Vale Park needs a major refurbishment no question. Ideally the Bycars, Railway and family stand all need replacing. The 2nd part of the Lorne street needs opening and only the existing part of the Lorne Street and away end are fit for purpose. 

I would be devastated if we left Vale Park too many memories of several family generations. It is in many ways as a current exile, one of my few long term links with the area left. 

Having said that, I thought Saturday went well, it was no different to the Championship era in the 90s. We have always had long queues, it just seems people expect more these days. For me, it was a proper match atmosphere. A lack of pies and waiting ages for a pee are problems but I don’t recall moaning in 1995. 

59 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I can’t see how you reckon the parking is awful. There is a massive amount of parking on three sides of the ground and public car parks In Burslem. Try parking at most Premier League grounds. 

Agreed! They have parking restrictions 2 miles out in some cases! 

Archived