• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

1 hour ago, SuperHuman said:

For those having a drink near the ground pre-match, which pub will you be going? Think my mate is on about driving up so only having 1-2 pre match near the ground. 

Try the Rifle Range, easy access, parking and stroll up 

Advert:

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

Changed my mind. Clarke will go 352 with Garrity/Walker, Pett, and Conlon, and then Amoo and Rodney up top.

He'll switch to the above 343 if things are tight.

I think Amoo and Rodney up top would be quite interesting, I just hate the idea of having a depleted attacking element but still having nowhere to start for Dennis. He has to play for me, especially since he may leave in January.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Who would the majority go with
Legge or Martin or both for tomoz .
Remember we are the away side .
1750 away followers .
Up front Amoo will stretch them or could and would you start with Amoo Politic and Rodney and go for it .
Let's hope the team selected are brave and do what they are good at ATTACKING.
DC has had a week with them that's usually a good omen and he as had more time work with them on shape formation and Oldhams weaknesses .
Hope the away following has a terrific day and the 3 points head back to Burslem.
Let's hope the performance is right then the result will look after itself.
UTV

22 hours ago, robf said:

To be honest, I think it will be a different situation by January. Proctor was supposed to miss three weeks and is back in training, which means he may be back next week. Perhaps not the Walsall game but perhaps the Hartlepool one. So, unless we pick up another injury / Politic is recalled we'd only be missing James Wilson in January. If he is eight weeks out then he'd be due back mid to late Jan. So by the end of the transfer window we're likely to be back to full strength upfront anyhow - and with squad limits there would be no need to add anyone.

So, it's probably the next 2 or 3 games (until Proctor is fit again) that are probably the toughest to get through.

If we get a decent free agent striker (which I would imagine would be a tough ask) then I presume someone will have to be deregistered and any free agent probably won't be match fit to start games anyhow. I think it's unlikely personally. 

I suspect we may have to just soldier on with a forward line selected from Lloyd, Amoo, Rodney and Politic until Proctor returns. We could always throw big Leon on in the "targetman" role for the closing minutes if we're looking for a winner.

I didn't know Proctor was close to coming back and if he is and can remain fit that rather negates the need for a "Free Agent striker" or perhaps a Jan. signing. Where I'm coming from is an automatic play-off spot is a real possibility this season and I would hate to see Vale lose out due to longer injury to key players.

This situation is gonna be an interesting puzzle for DC/AC.

16 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Who would the majority go with
Legge or Martin or both for tomoz .
Remember we are the away side .
1750 away followers .
Up front Amoo will stretch them or could and would you start with Amoo Politic and Rodney and go for it .
Let's hope the team selected are brave and do what they are good at ATTACKING.
DC has had a week with them that's usually a good omen and he as had more time work with them on shape formation and Oldhams weaknesses .
Hope the away following has a terrific day and the 3 points head back to Burslem.
Let's hope the performance is right then the result will look after itself.
UTV

Martin will play tomorrow. 

Start with 352 and move within this and 343 depending on how the game pans out.

For me, what we need up front is someone to be able to hold up the ball. (as well as run the lines, put it in the onion bag etc.) We’ve got to be able to get out of our half. Don’t want a repeat of Sutton in the 2nd half. Therefore, use Rodders for the long balls and Dennis into feet. Let him turn and frighten their defenders to death.

Not sure how they play but I would assume Martin in for Smith but Leggey on the bench, brought on to deal with any aerial bombardment.

Advert:

I'm not sure Oldham do aerial bombardment from bits I've seen. ( I'm probably wrong and will be corrected ) 

But Keilor-Dunn is a low gravity Lloyd type forward who always looks decent on the ball. 

Yes Piergianni and Bahamboula are units but I certainly don't think they are Sutton in disguise. 

9 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Looking forward to a few drinks in Manchester before the game, anyone recommend the best way of getting to the ground from Manchester and where the nearest station is.

Take tram from St Peters Square Manchester to Oldham take about 35 to 40 mins stopping on way at different stops

Edited by newchapel valiant
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Looking forward to a few drinks in Manchester before the game, anyone recommend the best way of getting to the ground from Manchester and where the nearest station is.

You can get off at Westwood and walk it from there, you'll probably need to use the map on your phone to make sure you're going the right way. Basically head roughly towards the big Tesco or slightly further down the hill and cross the ring road via the bridge/subway.

You'll need to buy a return ticket for zones 1, 2 and 3 or you can tap in and out using your debit card on the yellow box things at the station - if you do do that, remember to tap out when you get off. If you forget, it will charge you for all 4 zones which comes to about 7 quid.

The tram you want might say Oldham on the front, it could also say Rochdale or even Shaw, it's all on the same line. On the way back it will say East Didsbury on the front.

From the city centre direct trams to Oldham go via St Peters Square, Exchange Square and Victoria station. If you're not drinking anywhere near there, get the Bury tram and change at Victoria.

• Thanks 1

Advert:

7 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

Go to the Old Nags Head in Manchester. Cracking boozer, great music and George Best used to frequent there back in the day.

That's where we are heading. Apparently a few Vale are pally with the landlord. Not sure of the connection but be a few in.