• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

Advert:

I’d play Amoo down the middle with Politic and Rodney off him. Amoo can hold the ball up better than the other two and I think that will be our issue. Rodney isn’t good enough with his back to goal yet and Politic offers more when running with the ball from deep. 

The only issue with that is we can only play two central midfielders and I can’t see Clarke going with that away from home. 

It will probably be Amoo and Rodney as a front two. 

I just think we have to find a way to play Poltic, especially with Wilson and Proctor missing. 

• Like 4

For me it's signing an out of contract striker if there's one "Ready to go and proven" which is a big ask. Failing that, signing someone in the Jan transfer window and in the mean time trying to find a system/combination of Lloyd and/or Rodney and/or Politic which works.

For both strikers to be out at the same time is real bad luck for Vale and real bad luck for each player as both had started to find their feet, play well and score goals in a Vale shirt. It's not just the time to recover from injury and get fit but the additional time to get match fit.

Edited by Paul6754

18 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

I’d play Amoo down the middle with Politic and Rodney off him. Amoo can hold the ball up better than the other two and I think that will be our issue. Rodney isn’t good enough with his back to goal yet and Politic offers more when running with the ball from deep. 

The only issue with that is we can only play two central midfielders and I can’t see Clarke going with that away from home. 

It will probably be Amoo and Rodney as a front two. 

I just think we have to find a way to play Poltic, especially with Wilson and Proctor missing. 

Totally agree with this.  Amoo must play and you’d have to think, in the current system, it’ll be Rod or Dennis the Menace alongside him, Lloyd not showing enough of a goal threat for me , although you could easily say that about Rodney.  I’d go with Rod as personally I think he would benefit from a run of games, just as Wilson has.

The other worry is that both Rodney and Politic are less than fully fit, so we have to be careful with both whilst being patient with Proctor.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

For me it's signing an out of contract striker if there's one "Ready to go and proven" which is a big ask. Failing that, signing someone in the Jan transfer window and in the mean time trying to find a system/combination of Lloyd and/or Rodney and/or Politic which works.

To be honest, I think it will be a different situation by January. Proctor was supposed to miss three weeks and is back in training, which means he may be back next week. Perhaps not the Walsall game but perhaps the Hartlepool one. So, unless we pick up another injury / Politic is recalled we'd only be missing James Wilson in January. If he is eight weeks out then he'd be due back mid to late Jan. So by the end of the transfer window we're likely to be back to full strength upfront anyhow - and with squad limits there would be no need to add anyone.

So, it's probably the next 2 or 3 games (until Proctor is fit again) that are probably the toughest to get through.

If we get a decent free agent striker (which I would imagine would be a tough ask) then I presume someone will have to be deregistered and any free agent probably won't be match fit to start games anyhow. I think it's unlikely personally. 

I suspect we may have to just soldier on with a forward line selected from Lloyd, Amoo, Rodney and Politic until Proctor returns. We could always throw big Leon on in the "targetman" role for the closing minutes if we're looking for a winner.

Advert:

I will admit I had a cheeky look at a list of free agents earlier to see who might be available to sign before the window. 

8 weeks from injury so now 7 weeks for Wilson which would roughly be FGR at home on Jan 8th. He will have a dedicated medical/physio professional plan though compared to the average patient and access to private treatment at St George’s Park etc. Send him down there for a few PRP injections. 

Absolutely gutted if Proctor isn’t back for Smallsall. I wanted another 5 goals…

33 minutes ago, Doha said:

I will admit I had a cheeky look at a list of free agents earlier to see who might be available to sign before the window. 

8 weeks from injury so now 7 weeks for Wilson which would roughly be FGR at home on Jan 8th. He will have a dedicated medical/physio professional plan though compared to the average patient and access to private treatment at St George’s Park etc. Send him down there for a few PRP injections. 

Absolutely gutted if Proctor isn’t back for Smallsall. I wanted another 5 goals…

I did the same. It’s a scary list but there’s a couple who could do a job I suppose. What about ex MLS players too? Isn’t that ending soon and some would be fairly match fit?

If we don't change formation I don't see how it works without a decent target man.

433 with Rodney (I know he doesn't fit the role fantastically but no other choice but Lloyd) would be ok

Politic has to play, Worrall has to play further forward.

It would happen just before the jilted saddlers come wouldn't it!! 

If we lose Politic, Wilson has a long road to recovery and Proctor is in and out we'll be <ovf censored> come January unless we get something sorted asap.

Advert:

14 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

For both strikers to be out at the same time is real bad luck for Vale and real bad luck for each player as both had started to find their feet, play well and score goals in a Vale shirt. It's not just the time to recover from injury and get fit but the additional time to get match fit.

There's 10 games, 8 in the league, before the window. A lot of them are winnable with a fit team. Any word on Proctor?

20 hours ago, Joe B said:

It'll be:

Lucas

Cass Martin Jones

Worrall Pett Conlon Gibbons

Amoo Rodney Politic

Changed my mind. Clarke will go 352 with Garrity/Walker, Pett, and Conlon, and then Amoo and Rodney up top.

He'll switch to the above 343 if things are tight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Changed my mind. Clarke will go 352 with Garrity/Walker, Pett, and Conlon, and then Amoo and Rodney up top.

He'll switch to the above 343 if things are tight.

Well, on paper, that looks a pretty potent pairing to me!

I'm always surprised how quickly we want to move away from a system which has served us so well.... and we signed Lloyd as cover for a central striker so surely he should be the player to get a first chance at it in an unchanged formation i.e. as part of a front 2. If he doesn't get in the  team now with 2 central strikers ruled out he may as well be sent back !

The other issue is if you don't start with Lloyd then by process of elimination we would be starting with at least 2 of Amoo, Rodney or  Politic none of whom can last a full game..... that leaves the manager with a problem because he will automatically be making 2 subs  after 50 - 60 mins which restricts his options for changing things if we aren't going well or if there's injuries elsewhere in the team.

It should be a cracking game but it will be tough, typically league 2, we have to be physical and come out on top.

• Like 1

Advert:

28 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Im always surprised how quickly we want to move away from a system which has served us so well.... and we signed Lloyd as cover for a central striker so surely he should be the player to get a first chance at it in an unchanged formation i.e. as part of a front 2. If he doesn't get in the  team now with 2 central strikers ruled out he may as well be sent back !

It depends how attacking Clarke wants to start the game and where he sees Oldhams weaknesses. Not necessarily about ditching a system that works - its the old horses for courses analogy. We played three up top against Colchester and mauled them.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went 343 or 532 against Oldham given who we have available for selection and there are valid arguments for both.

I think even now we are flexible enough that the front 2 could be any from Lloyd, Rodney or Amoo, Front 3 you could add Politic and Wozza to the mix as well.

Given the circumstances, I would like to see LLoyd be given more opportunity to show what he can do now,  he looks like he will improve with more match sharpness to me and he generally gets free kicks for us in and around the box as he is so tenacious. It took JW a while to start looking his best. On JW I'm Gutted for the lad  😞he has given everything when he has been on the pitch for us and looked a class act, he has had lots of stick over recent years and been through some tough times and has turned a corner, looking like he has been loving his football  -  he'll still be a big player this season for us and hopefully well beyond!

Edited by cactuselves