onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

Very rubbish that. Didn't get the third goal and then the subs signalled retreat mode.

Weird that Legge + Martin couldn't prevent defensive shambles in the air at the end.

Needs sorting on Tuesday. Amoo was absolute class and we need to figure out how to build the forward line around him for now. 

Advert

11 minutes ago, Beech said:

It's his fault he only has one goal this season so far though. Hopefully one will go in off his considerable sized arse sooner rather than later and get him going a bit.

He's hardly played. He got an assist. Give the bloke a break. Did alright, I know he is the new target for the boo boys.  Give the lad a break, give him some minutes. Then pass judgement,

48 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

May have missed this being mentioned but any idea what the applause was for around the 40 minute mark?

Also, what was going on with those torches in the home end? 

There was something on the FB site about it, tribute to an Oldham fan.

50 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

May have missed this being mentioned but any idea what the applause was for around the 40 minute mark?

41 year old Oldham fan in ICU with Covid19. 

For anyone I wants a sleepless :-

To describe the defending as amateur would be an insult to North West Counties Teams. 

The first one is absolutely shocking in terms of their guy literally having no-one with 5 yards of him from a ball lumped back into our box from near-on half way. Incredible. 

And WTF is the third one all about??? 

I hope Clarke has given it to our so-called CB’s with both barrels because that is really, really sub-standard stuff.

The number of points we have literally gift-wrapped, added a nice bow and then hand-delivered to the oppo’s is frightening.

Rochdale... 1 point dropped by Benning literally stopping.

Bradford… 2 points by a) Smith not finding touch b) Cass no where near Angol.

Sutton… 3 points, defensive horror show #1.

Mansfield… 2 points. A beauty from Conlon cancelled out by, you guessed it, failure to deal with a ball into the box.

Today… 3 points, defensive horror show #2.

Just not good enough.

I think if we drop points on Tuesday - and let’s face it we haven’t exactly got a great record vs Walsall - it will start to feel like deja vu from last year in every sense.

44 minutes ago, Doha said:

Remember when our team of geriatric all stars full on battered high flying Luton 4-0 a few years ago? They went up automatically 8 points clear of the POs that season. Shock results happen.

I wasn't specific enough here. 8 points clear of 4th. 13 points clear of the last PO place. 13 points! Despite letting a Vale side comprised of Tonge, Kay and Pugh that survived the non league trapdoor by 1 single point put 4 good goals past them. 

Mad <ovf censored> like today happens. Drop 1 or 2. Make up for it on Tuesday. Job done.

56 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

We have a 41 year old season ticket holder who’s live is in grave danger due to COVID. We acknowledged this with a round of applause to give him a lift, probably not expecting anything results wise.

Our fantastic owners can’t be even arsed to change the light bulbs in the pitifully inadequate floodlights so we subtly offer our own support with this.

On your showing today, you’re going up, best teams we’ve played so far.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Been reading through all the posts and just let the game sink in a bit before I posted. But I came away from it obviously disappointed, but I didnt think we were dreadful by any stretch of the imagination as some posts on here may intimate.

After a scrappy opening 20 minutes we dominated the game until the last 15. At times we played them off the pitch and created quite a few good chances. Amoo and Gibbo were immense today. Gibbo in particular was like a man possessed he was taking the game to them in his own at times, easily man of the match. But we didn’t get the killer third goal to finish them off.

There are a lot of posts slagging off the defensive 3 for their goals, I disagree a bit. They pumped hopeful balls into the box when we were defending in there as a team and for me it’s not solely down to the the fact that people got beat in the air for the first header or that they got a lucky ricochet, it’s the marking for the second ball that’s the issue. The lad that scored the first is completely unmarked, no one near him. Hart for their last 2 goals is again unmarked in the box, he was rubbish and came away from this game with a goal and an assist! Players switching off in the box and losing their man is a big contributing factor today, that needs to be sorted. It wasn’t down to the fact we had to stop crosses in either. The first is from a clearance from a corner and their last man has just put it back in. The other 2 have come from needless free kicks and them keeping the ball alive when we’ve got headers and blocks on the ball. 

3 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

We can look vulnerable defensively down Cass and Worrall’s side, especially in the air.       Neither of them are good in the air and can be found out of position. However, they offer so much to us from an attacking perspective. 

It was very noticeable that their main tactic was to hit long balls over those 2. I genuinely think Smith could come in for Cass v Walsall. 

Now I'm all in favour of what Darrell did at the end of last season, but thought a couple of times today that we could have done with brizley on today, battering heads and balls into row Z. But completely acknowledge that as a team we are streets ahead now and it's one defeat in goodness knows how many games - come 9.45 Tues night we will be grinning like the joker

1 minute ago, Biddulph_PV said:

And herein lies the problem “the killer THIRD goal”. They were bottom of the entire football league, and we need to score three times to be certain of the points??????? We really have got problems if that’s the case.

It doesn’t matter who you are playing or where there are in the league. You can bet that any team will always get a chance in the game, even if you’re on top and 2-1 is a precarious lead. They did get that chance and they took it. We didn’t take ours second half when we were in the ascendency at 2-1. 

3 hours ago, Doha said:

1. The most important bit of January business is offering Gibbons a new deal

This may not be the right thing to say, but if I was playing as well as he is I wouldn’t be signing a new deal just yet. His performances (and maybe a couple of others in the side) won’t be going unnoticed by scouts. 

Archived