• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

The wheels have not nor will not fall off. Our basic game is good, the football we play is good. We have lost our two best strikers and the back up is not clinical enough. Same would happen with any other side in our league. Beginning of the season Legge & Smithy were immense, again back up is suspect. Let’s get to Xmas in contention then the real work starts, as the old saying goes it is a marathon not a sprint. We need to cut out the schoolboy errors and hope our injuries clear for post Xmas run in. Thanks to the feel good factor that Carol has created, it shouldn’t be difficult recruiting in the January window.

• Like 8

Advert:

10 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:
Just back. Please tell me I fell and hit my head after we scored the second because somebody just told me we lost???.
How did we not win 4 or 5?  Just a bizzare result. Gutted. !

Totally agree with ollyandpatch. First 20 minutes or so of the 2nd half we ought to have scored 5 or 6 but instead we sit back and mess about. Simply we have to secure a commanding centre half to come in and play alongside Smithy. We do have a good base of a squad but we may be kidding ourselves that we are too good for Division 2 if we cannot beat the likes of Oldham. More heartache to come, me fears although hopefully the matrix can kick a few bums and prize out some wins again.  Not doom and gloom from me as I'm usually ultra balanced concerning Vale. I'm  just a tad concerned at the softness we display now and then. Important few games ahead to get back on keel. Finally, why oh why do Vale consistently fail to deliver in front of huge Valiant support?  

• Like 2

First away match for sometime, very disappointing just not at it ! How to beat Port Vale lump high balls into the box you will score every time. Apart Gibbo nobody deserved more than 5 out of 10 . We will need to play much better with a little more effort.

Let's remember where we were last season.

We're doing fine, as gutting as this result is today.

Our recruitment on the whole has been the best it's been for years, but I've got serious concerns with our CBs and a minor concern with the GK.

Martin and Johnson just don't look right. And I'd like to see Covolan's shot to save ratio as it seems like most shots he faces tend to go in?

We absolutely need a big 6'4 rough CB in January. A head it kick it type.

8 minutes ago, jeffers said:

The wheels have not nor will not fall off. Our basic game is good, the football we play is good. We have lost our two best strikers and the back up is not clinical enough. Same would happen with any other side in our league. Beginning of the season Legge & Smithy were immense, again back up is suspect. Let’s get to Xmas in contention then the real work starts, as the old saying goes it is a marathon not a sprint. We need to cut out the schoolboy errors and hope our injuries clear for post Xmas run in. Thanks to the feel good factor that Carol has created, it shouldn’t be difficult recruiting in the January window.

Great post

Advert:

10 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Totally agree with ollyandpatch. First 20 minutes or so of the 2nd half we ought to have scored 5 or 6 but instead we sit back and mess about. Simply we have to secure a commanding centre half to come in and play alongside Smithy. We do have a good base of a squad but we may be kidding ourselves that we are too good for Division 2 if we cannot beat the likes of Oldham. More heartache to come, me fears although hopefully the matrix can kick a few bums and prize out some wins again.  Not doom and gloom from me as I'm usually ultra balanced concerning Vale. I'm  just a tad concerned at the softness we display now and then. Important few games ahead to get back on keel. Finally, why oh why do Vale consistently fail to deliver in front of huge Valiant support?  

I think we're a bit soft as a team. I said a few weeks ago, our midfield is great in regards to a lot of things, but we're missing a destroyer in the middle when we play with Garrity, Pett and Conlon. Walker should be that guy but he's hardly shone so far for various reasons. We need a nasty bastard, an Anthony Griffith type, especially when playing away from home against a bunch of barbarians. We need a bit more dog in the team at times.

Edited by Beech

45 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes - and many of us will remember Micky bringing in Darren Purse in the January when John McCombe was ruled out for several weeks with a bad injury. Signing of the season if you ask me, our defence looked so solid in the run-in, and one of the main reasons we kept up our promotion challenge. THAT's exactly the sort of signing we need now and, imho, we need to think about moving to a back four so that we can get the best out of Smudger alongside a big seasoned centre-back who is going to dominate opposing forwards. 

We've got the midfield and forwards to go up but, boy, do we need to shore up at the back.

In the meantime, DC needs to get a grip of this, starting on Tuesday.

excellent summary/comment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

Our recruitment on the whole has been the best it's been for years, but I've got serious concerns with our CBs and a minor concern with the GK.

Martin and Johnson just don't look right. And I'd like to see Covolan's shot to save ratio as it seems like most shots he faces tend to go in?

We absolutely need a big 6'4 rough CB in January. A head it kick it type

A clone of Boom Boom  John Mcombe would be ideal if scientifically available

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beech said:

I think we're a bit soft as a team. I said a few weeks ago, our midfield is great in regards to a lot of things, but we're missing a destroyer in the middle when we play with Garrity, Pett and Conlon. Walker should be that guy but he's hardly shone so far for various reasons. We need a nasty bastard, an Anthony Griffith type, especially when playing away from home against a bunch of barbarians. 

lets hope we win on tues, or else santa wont be the only one going down the chimney!

• Like 1

Advert:

46 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

We are taking Garrity and Amoo off gamely and it's costing us Garrity off Amoo off 1-0 up v Bradford not looking in any trouble whatsoever draw 1-1 and need a great save from Covalan to draw turning it around the post 2-1 up possession wise milesthe better side take Garrity and Amoo off and Worrall and end up losing 3-2
LEAVE Garrity on take someone else off and leave Amoo on .

Garrity went off injured.

6 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We absolutely need a big 6'4 rough CB in January. A head it kick it type.

6th in the league for prevented goals. 3rd for saves out of the top performing keepers. 2nd for clean sheets.

Albeit before today’s game… that said he did make some decent saves today too. 

• Like 2

Advert:

3 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

6th in the league for prevented goals. 3rd for saves out of the top performing keepers. 2nd for clean sheets.

Albeit before today’s game… that said he did make some decent saves today too. 

This kind of formula stat's for GK's are absolutely meaningless.  

• Like 1

If OVF is a decent bellweather then I'm going to give that facebook group a wide berth as the sky is falling in histrionics will be off the scale. 

The most shocking thing for me today is I actually agreed with Carl on P&G, who was very level headed and unemotional.

If I can say one definitive, emotional thing - the first goal was completely unacceptable. There's falling asleep and then there's that unmarked free header. I genuinely expect school kids to defend better than that. Lapse in concentration, tactical misunderstanding or miscommunication, whatever it was, that cannot happen again, ever. It will be a long time before Keillor Dunn has an opportunity as comically easy as that again in a professional match.  

Edited by Doha
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Awful result, should never be losing there.

Threw it away though, looked absolutely in control at 2.1

Had we scored that third we probably would have won 4 or 5. We're clearly miles better than them. Oldham fans won't try to say anything different. But isn't it ultimately a big reason why we all love football, that these results can happen for us all? If nothing else Oldham hung in there, gritted there teeth when they were getting a bit of a footballing lesson and in the end got something they didn't deserve. But fair <ovf censored> to them. They showed more balls than we did today and it was enough to get them the three points.

Edited by Beech