onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

We now have the worst record of any team in League Two after dropping 15 points from winning positions.
The only thing that says to me is that we've probably been in winning positions a lot more than most other teams. And we've still managed to get nearly 30 on the board despite it

Advert

28 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A concern, but would be interested to see how many times we've got into winning positions, and how early. 

I'm not here saying that this team is perfect and without flaws; I'm saying that it's a League 2 team who will inevitably have weaknesses. Ours seems to be clearing lines when peppered with crosses late on. 

I'm of the view that we don't have many, and the ones that we do aren't as big of an issue as people argue

I just don't like the solutions of 'sign a big man', as if you play said 'big man', something else gives. Maybe we aren't as comfortable playing the high line we have utilised for the most part. Maybe we aren't as good at bringing the ball out.

To sum up - we're a good side and have done well with the players available to us. We have flaws but you can't have the perfect team. As a great philosopher once wrote; a problem solved is a problem caused.

Yes,it's just a stat that can be easily reversed to provide a positive and I'm sure DC will use it to improve us as a team.

20 hours ago, Joe B said:

Twice in 17 games (23 in all competitions).

Bar the Sutton game, the latest we've conceded a result-altering goal is the 78th minute in the loss to Rochdale. It's barely happened, but when it's happened it's happened memorably, so everyone bangs on about it and labels it an endemic problem because the games in which we mercilessly swept aside Barrow, Crawley, and Colchester have been forgotten due to their lack of drama. That's my theory, as I can't grasp why everyone is losing their heads over something which has barely happened this season.

We did it to Orient and regularly score after the 80th minute (Crawley, Accrington, Barrow, FGR, one of the trophy games) but there doesn't seem to be any claims that we have a habit of scoring late.

I defer to your impressive research--I do accept that it has happened less this season so far, and, as you rightly say, we tend to do it in spectacular fashion when we do snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  I'm obviopusly not as clued up as you, but in past season's we have shown a propensity to leak post-90mins goals even though we might not lose!

2 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

I defer to your impressive research--I do accept that it has happened less this season so far, and, as you rightly say, we tend to do it in spectacular fashion when we do snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  I'm obviopusly not as clued up as you, but in past season's we have shown a propensity to leak post-90mins goals even though we might not lose!

I was annoyed as anyone on Saturday. Was nonsense and we should have come away with an easy three points.

I also think that Sutton + Oldham were rare instances of things falling the wrong way for us. We're overall a pretty good side, which has its flaws. 

22 hours ago, hamilboy said:

this is the last word i'm saying on the Martin debate he is there to be the dominating figure in the back 3 system with his size and experience on saturday he failed against Rochdale at home he failed his only job he has to do is either head the ball out or at least challenge for the first goal neither happened for the Rochdale goals the same happened.

Failed at forest Green as well didnt he? 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Failed at forest Green as well didnt he? 

1 out of 3 is good enough for you then tell you what drop Smith and play Martin in the centre of the 3 tonight and see what happens.He did not fail at forest green because Smith took care of Jamille Matt

Because of his height we expect Martin to dominate but I don’t think that is his style. Whereas although Smithy hasn’t got the height advantage, he is the Bob Hazell / Peter Swann type who wants to dominate & intimidate the opposition. If we need a general on the battlefield then Smithy is your man. Same goes for Legge but I don’t think he is anywhere near back to full fitness.

17 hours ago, Joe B said:

I was annoyed as anyone on Saturday. Was nonsense and we should have come away with an easy three points.

I also think that Sutton + Oldham were rare instances of things falling the wrong way for us. We're overall a pretty good side, which has its flaws. 

I am certainly not disagreeing with you, but rather picking up on your comment about our being "flawed"--we certainly were last night!!

Archived