onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oldham Athletic v Port Vale

Doha

1 hour ago, Jeff. said:

Good morning fellow Valiants,

One hopes you are all keeping well on what is a fine autumnal morning.

Jeff would just like to take the opportunity to ask the delightful people on this platform if anybody knows who is responsible for telling Devante Rodney that he is of a good enough standard to play professional football?

As the individual who made this evaluation needs to take a trip out to sea with Captain Jeff, where we will have a chat and reflect on the regrettable decisions we have made in life. Returning to shore as wiser folk.

All the very best,

Jeff.

Personally, for his first full game back for a while I thought he did ok. He certainly wasn’t the reason we lost that game as rank poor defending was the reason for that. 
The trouble with Devante’s season is it has got going. First an a three game suspension, then a personal issue and then an injury. I really don’t think people should be writing the lad off as it’ll be another few games before he’s match sharp.

Advert

34 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Personally, for his first full game back for a while I thought he did ok. He certainly wasn’t the reason we lost that game as rank poor defending was the reason for that. 
The trouble with Devante’s season is it has got going. First an a three game suspension, then a personal issue and then an injury. I really don’t think people should be writing the lad off as it’ll be another few games before he’s match sharp.

It's a common discussion when players return from injury. It takes a few games to get up to scratch.

With Rodney I get the impression that everybody else has bought into the project whereas he does his own thing. Patience has worn thin with him. Maybe he’s just a rough diamond that can’t be polished. He wouldn’t be the first (or the last) player who didn't realise his potential. 

12 minutes ago, Santa said:

With Rodney I get the impression that everybody else has bought into the project whereas he does his own thing. Patience has worn thin with him. Maybe he’s just a rough diamond that can’t be polished. He wouldn’t be the first (or the last) player who didn't realise his potential. 

His biggest problem is, or one of them at least, is that he has absolutely zero footballing intelligence. This season he also doesn't look likes he wants it enough. He's an absolute unit and yet I've seen him get knocked off the ball time and again. There's no excuses for that. He's not a lost cause and a goal will do him the world of good, but he needs to fix up sharpish. With both of our main men out he should be chomping at the bit to use this time as his time to shine and make a statement.  You have pace. You have power. <ovf censored> use them!

The issue is that we just aren’t comfortable defending set pieces, deep crosses or diagonal long balls. We very rarely win the first ball or the second ball. If you can’t win the first ball then it’s imperative that the second ball is dealt with and the ball is cleared. They had men free in the box on three occasions which led to three goals. They also managed to sustain pressure from set pieces as we couldn’t get the ball away.

You’ve got to be able to soak up pressure at times. 

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Oldham Fan on Facebook just said we were the best side they have faced all season and we’re robbed.

It happens, football results are on a knife edge. promotion teams usually win by 2 or 3 goals  which we have been doing.  Lets see what the next 8 games bring.

50 minutes ago, Beech said:

His biggest problem is, or one of them at least, is that he has absolutely zero footballing intelligence.

You might well be right. His decisions get locked in pretty early as well, he won’t change his mind as and when the situation develops. You wonder if he listens when coaches are trying to help him.

4 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

By the way am I the only one to believe Garrity had a good game? I felt his running and urgency was sadly missed when he went off.

I spoke to a couple of Oldham fans on the way out and they felt he was one of our better players. 

No you're right but he went down with a knock so maybe that's why he was substituted I'd hope it wasn't do to effort or quality he was the best of the 3 on the park yesterday.

Conlon not at his best and I'd have taken him off has we needed a change in the middle of the park.  Not sure I'd have taken Worrall off either.

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

This would be right if any of the goals came from conventional crosses, but one was from a deep central cross on a second ball from a set piece, one was a shot from the edge of the box which was headed into his own net by Martin, and one was from a set piece. Nothing to do with 'wing-backs closing down crosses', as none of them were wide area crosses in open play. You've either misremembered the goals or you are just making up reasons to shift from a system which has worked very well for the vast majority of games.

Was anyone questioning the system when we were 1 defeat in 12 and scoring 4 every week? Or is it classic 'systematic overhaul needed' every time we lose, just like Sutton?

Just like to add ,  Martin has started 5 league games for us , Northampton,Rochdale Oldham Mansfield and Forest Green .W1 L3 D1.  Not been too impressed with him or Johnson up to now.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but having re-watched the highlights(lowlights probably more accurate!) our defending yesterday was a horror movie. Oldham don't forget, is a team that until yesterday, had the lowest goals scored so far this season in this league, yet we managed to 'gift' them 3 goals--i.e. 25% of their previous total of 12--they must have thought Christmas has arrived early! Why oh why can't we close down a game when we're leading with only a few minutes to go? We gifted Sutton in similar fashion at their place a few weeks ago.  Please Darrell get it sorted. I don't want to hear you stating the obvious in your post match interview about our failings in defending inside the box--it's your job to put that right!

Archived